Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahbr2

Seeking someone experienced to review my floorplan

sarahbr2
10 years ago

Hi,

Do any of you guys know any architects, builders, designers, or just someone knowledgeable that may want to review my floorplan and see if it makes sense. I came up with it by modifying another plan I like and feedback has been sparse (I've posted a few times here with very few responses). I am not an expert so I don't want to miss something or make an error and am hoping to have an outsider review it before we go to build.

Thanks so much.

Comments (10)

• jdez
    10 years ago

Hi HiHo,
    I have also posted things before and had little to no response and I have found that the best way to get feedback is to ask specific questions. Take the plan that you have modified and choose an area that you have concerns about and post it in a thread and ask specific questions about it like "Is this entry wide enough?" or "Do I have any other options that would help me gain more natural light in this room?" etc. Also, put your kitchen in the kitchen forum and ask for feedback on it and describe how you will use the kitchen and how many people will use it, if you bake, what your must haves are, what you can live without, etc. Do the same with your bathroom on the bathroom forum. By going about it this way, you will get alot more helpful advice (and criticism) by experts and non-experts alike. Hope this works out for you. Good luck.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

There are several of those people on this board. As soon as you ask 1 of them to do it, it could become their legal liability if later on you decide they didn't catch something you wanted them to. So, they may or may not want to do that. As long as it is a general conversation/discussion about your plan with multiple contributors, but you still own your errors, so to speak, we all will comment. :)

BUT, I agree with the above poster--if there is an area of concern, call it out for comment. If there was a major area of concern from us, you would have (and have) heard it.

After that, you'll need to take your plan to someone to finalize in order to get permits, etc anyway. So, why not work with that person? Probably someone local.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Reviewing floor plans is a very complex endeavor for an educated and licensed design professional. For a useful review, it takes a lot of discussion back and forth, thumbnail sketches and exploration between the parties, etc. That's virtually impossible to do with typed words in a forum such as this. Thus may professionals just pass over "review my plan" threads unless there is a specific question that can be answered directly.

Is there something specific you are concerned about?

• sarahbr2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the response. I do have a few concerns, but again, not getting much feedback on them.

I have a drafter that I am working with. They are inexpensive, nice and part of the housing development I am going into, but this person does not give much feedback. I sent her my plan, and she basically put it in autocad with not much critique.

I would be happy to work with someone outside the forum in a more professional manner to review.

As for specific question I asked before: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0215303516841.html?2 am i not approaching this right.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Where is the project located?

• sarahbr2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

New York State.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I think the one you linked to you didn't even respond back to when they suggested things. I think where it works is when people are open minded to other options, but doesn't need to go for all of them, and also responds as to why or ask questions about things. In the kitchen forum it really helps posting clear dimensions as well as some are very willing to create floor plans etc. but without knowing dimensions and more about the family that lives there it can be hard to make suggestions.

Also some floor plans just aren't something people see much issues with so may not comment vs. others where there are lots of things that could be improved on.

Few responses may mean you are doing good too. Seems more people respond to say they don't like something vs. saying it looks good.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

I suggest you post enlarged the pictures of just the kitchen area and include the dimensions of the walls, cabinets, island, walk spaces. Also include your pros and cons for both of the plans so others can voice their opinions on them.

• Naf_Naf
    10 years ago

I do not think this is a case where there are no comments because the floor plan is good.
    Where do you start when you see that someone chops a piece of an office just to have room for circulation?

• renovator8
    10 years ago

You might be able to find a local architect who for a reasonable fee would be willing to review the drawings and suggest modifications without stamping anything.

For that I would use a contract that described the services as a general review to find errors and omissions rather than as complete design services.

You should understand that an architect is held to a much higher standard of liability by a court. Your drafting person can claim to provide only drawing services but an architect cannot.

• Stephen MyDesignEye
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi! I offer a service for anyone already working with a designer or architect. It'll politely and thoroughly attack the design drawings and documentation with a red pen, looking for potential design inefficiencies and opportunities, unexplored design potentials and drafting discrepancies and omissions. I wont give specific advice but i will raise questions for exploration. My aim is to help arm you with some good and focused questions for your architect or designer and help further your project. It also affords me a small but enjoyable second income to offset my underpaid architectural day job. http://www.mydesigneye.com/