Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help with front porch decision

Posted by joshie74 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 10:24

Would you choose the low-pitched version or the gabled version?

This post was edited by joshie74 on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 11:09

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help with front porch decision

ELevation A is much more appealing to me, with the gabled porch roof and the cupola over the garage. It seems more classic and balanced to my (untrained) eye.

o

ELevation A is much more appealing to me, with the gabled porch roof and the cupola over the garage. It seems more classic and balanced to my (untrained) eye.

o

Elevation A for sure. Elevation B looks like someone stepped on the porch roof :)

o

I also prefer elevation A.

o

Elevation A is beautiful. Looks much more classic!

o

another vote for A! it's much more balanced.

o

I like A much better!

o

Elevation A! It's more balanced and symmetrical.

o

I prefer elevation A also- it just has more flow. Moving the little cupola (I had no idea what that thing is called, trusting VanillaCottage here, ha ha!) - anyway, moving that over the garage makes the garage look more in proportion to the house, as well.

o

Also like Elevation A the best.

o

I prefer the flat roof but only if the walls could be raised high enough (longer studs) so the porch cornice terminated into the wall, not the roof. For that matter, extend some frieze across the cornice in either case, the windows are too close to the eaves. If not possible, then shorten porch posts so the cornice does not carry over above the roof, that is the big no-no here.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here