Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eacx2

Floor Plan Review Revised Plan

EACX2
11 years ago

Here is the second revision to our floor plan. So far I like most of the plan, but would like opinions or suggestions on how to layout the kitchen? I want to have a space to walk into the kitchen without passing through the living room. I would move the refrigerator to the other wall and leave that space open, but am worried about losing too much counter space. Any help is appreciated.

Comments (5)

• EACX2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the second floor. Is the master bedroom closet wide enough?

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

I'm not an expert on dimensions, but here are a few things that caught my eye:

- Maybe move the MBR closet door a bit toward the front of the house, and use a pocket door. That would allow you to have a hanging rod or shelves on the other short wall in the closet and you wouldn't have to work around the open door when you're in the closet.

- If you're planning a masonry fireplace/chimney, you're not going to be able to have the window where you've placed it in the Master Bath.

- You might want two windows on the long wall in the MBR, so there is one on either side of the bed (assuming the bed goes on that wall).

- if the Bonus Room is meant to be a media room, you could stub in plumbing for a bar sink in the corner behind the main bath.

- if the main floor office is meant to serve as a guest room at some point, you might consider making the powder room at least a 3/4 bath. I'm not sure how to do that in the space you have, but it's a consideration. (Maybe cede the coat closet space back to the powder room and rob some space from the office closet for a new hall closet?)

- You don't have a way to close off the laundry room from the rest of the house. Maybe there is enough distance and drywall between the laundry room and the LR to make the noise not an issue, but maybe not.

- You're definitely going to be floating furniture in the LR, so consider ample floor outlets in your electrical plan.

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

The problem with your kitchen is that it is bisected by too manyt circulation paths. It would be far more efficient and useful if you turned it 90--degrees an made it a galley kitchen with only one circulation path in between the two counter lines.

Good luck on your project.

• dpusa
    11 years ago

Ok having had multiple versions of our plan (26 to be exact) here are some thoughts:

1. Kitchen - make sure your fridge has AT LEAST 3 or 4 inches from the wall clearance to be able to open it properly - we found out we only had 3 inches. Also consider if it will be counter depth etc.

2. I like the kitchen... where will the oven go? Underneath the stove or somewhere else?

3. Second the closing off of the laundry room - I would not want to hear my washer.

4. Fireplace is not in the right place to allow a window in the upstairs bath.

5. I would agree the powder room being converted to add a shower or bath would be invaluable if you are going to ever use the office as a bedroom

6. Master Bed - I would add a window on the long wall as already mentioned.

7. Do you have kids? If so, and if the budget allows I would turn the bonus room into an ensuite bedroom unless you have plans for the bonus room.

again all IMHO

• renovator8
    11 years ago

The half bath is hogging the center of the circulation path and hiding the stairway. I would pull the office away from the living room and put a full bath between those spaces. The stair would then be fully open to the foyer and the bathroom would be close to the office for guest use.

I would also move the door at the top of the basement stair and the small closet toward the front of the house in order to straighten out the twisted back hall allowing storage along the kitchen side of it and the pantry could be reduced in size.

Hopefully this would allow the diagonal entry to the living room to be straightened out.