Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kberrie1_gw

Plan Review- Please Help with Elevations!

kberrie1
12 years ago

I designed my plans with Chief Architect using William Poole's Somerset as inspiration. I have no idea how to do roof lines with this software. If anyone could help me by looking at the below pics and seeing if they make sense and looks feasible. Or even if someone could do it with a sofware program to help me visualize what I dreaming about!!! Also, does my exterior look feasible? You guys are awesome on here! (Also, any critques of my plan is fine also!)

Main Floor:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BASEMENT

I want my bonus room to span the area over the garage and back two bedrooms, but have no idea how to do that.

What I want my exterior to look like:

Comments (3)

• renovator8
    12 years ago

Just a drafting tip: the direction of a stair should be relative to the level drawn. A stair shown on the 1st floor plan that goes to the 2nd floor would be labeled "UP" on the 1st floor landing. A stair on the 1st floor plan that goes to the basement would be labeled "DOWN" on the 1st floor landing. A plan is drawn at a level of about 42" above the floor level so when a stair rises to that level it is shown cut off with a diagonal line.

The cost of buying and learning a CAD program with the features needed to produce acceptable contract documents would probably be greater than hiring Poole to modify the design for you and the results would probably be much better and would better protect the large investment you will make in your house.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

Just a drafting tip: the direction of a stair should be relative to the level drawn. A stair shown on the 1st floor plan that goes to the 2nd floor would be labeled "UP" on the 1st floor landing. A stair on the 1st floor plan that goes to the basement would be labeled "DOWN" on the 1st floor landing. A plan is drawn at a level of about 42" above the floor level so when a stair rises to that level it is shown cut off with a diagonal line.

The cost of buying and learning a CAD program with the features needed to produce acceptable contract documents would probably be greater than hiring Poole to modify the design for you and the results would probably be much better and would better protect the large investment you will make in your house.

• kelhuck
    12 years ago

Hi! It would be helpful if you put the dimensions in the rooms- I'm going cross-eyed from trying to count the tiny boxes on my computer screen! :)

Off the bat, though, I'm not liking the bump in the dining room.

How tall do you want your ceilings to be? It looks like you haven't allowed enough room for your stair runs.

Also, putting your stair runs in the same spot will save space.

My current house is split like this, and you have to walk through my kitchen to get to a bedroom, and I HATE it! Just something you might want to think twice about.

There are several door swings that need fixed.

I don't think that full bath by the bedrooms is going to work at all.

For my bonus room (which is over the garage and master bedroom, similar to yours), the stairs go up the middle and then split left and right at a landing on the top, so we have two bonus rooms. It's nice for space, but we didn't insulate properly and the rooms are always too cold or too hot, so be sure you don't make the same mistake we did!

Honestly, this is a pretty standard internet based plan (long rectangle intersecting another rectangle) and I feel like you can probably find exactly the plan you need if you just keep looking. The exterior can look like the Somerset as long as you keep the rectangles intact. You just have enough issues here that I think it would be worth your time to find an already drawn, efficiently laid out plan.

Just my two cents. HTH and good luck!!