Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kharmony_gw

Hide-a-Hose on deep pile carpet

kharmony
10 years ago

We are going to install either a hide-a-hose or a doc it in our existing house we just bought. The hide-a-hose is more convenient but I am very concerned about our deep pile carpets. When I tried the hide-a-hose zoom turbo head at the installer's showroom, it just sucked down on the carpet and was hard to push. However, I see people in the forum saying it does great on their carpets so I'm confused. He also said the hide-a-hose just comes with plastic wands compared to the nice metal wands that come with the doc it. Can anyone comment?

Comments (4)

• ocscott
    10 years ago

Great question! My home is about 1.5 years old and was built with a standard central vac system. However after reading the boards I ended up having a forty foot HAH outlet installed in the center of my main floor. It works great for all the hardwoods, dusting, sofas, etc. I found the Turbocat to work great on our wool area rugs and does a decent job on the family's room frieze wall to wall. However, when I really want that carpet cleaned I use the electric hose and power head to lift the nap. I also use this or my Dyson Dc41 to clean the wall to wall carpet in the bedrooms . I would highly recommend speaking to an installer on designing a " hybrid" system so you could have HAH for areas of your home with hard floors and rugs while still allowing the use of an electric hose and nozzle for rooms with wall to wall carpeting.

• okpokesfan
    10 years ago

I have the doc-it and very thick pile carpets in portions of my house. When using the turbo brush with roller it does fine on those. We've only been in the house about 3 months so I can't comment on the long-term ability but I'm perfectly satisfied with it on the carpets so far.

I love my doc-it system by the way!

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I don't have carpets and at my old houses had Berber with the TurboCat so no help there, but I'm not sure I understand the wand thing.

Mine is metal - there is nothing to tie it into having a specific kind as far as I know. I could pick and choose what I wanted. Could have changed since I got mine 6 years ago.

• sis3
    10 years ago

I agree, Lyfia, my Hide A Hose wand is metal too. I checked the Central Vacuum Stores website, it looks like the wands being sold now are still metal.