Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue_sf

Who pays utilities during construction?

sue_sf
11 years ago

If it isn't stated either way in the contract, who pays for utilities during construction? Our builder had a propane tank outside for a while to heat the house during drywall phase, which he paid for. He then began running electric heaters inside. We got a $800 electric bill for one month! He says its customary for owner to pay. Most people I have talked to think utilities belong to the builder until we receive certificate of occupancy.

Is there a "standard" here?

Comments (17)

• zone4newby
    11 years ago

Our builder is going to pay utilities during construction, but if you don't have an understanding with your builder, than I agree with millworkman.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Go lock up your thermostat.

I think that is your bill. But, if you don't want more $800/mo ones, then you need to close up the house at night, or protect your thermostat.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

YOU are going to end up paying it either directly, or through your builder (with the possibility of his mark up).

It depends on what type of contract you have and what it says, but just like the portable john, you end up paying for it one way or another.

• kaljr82
    11 years ago

We haven't gotten our first bill yet but should anytime now, and I am dreading it!!
    One day I went in and the crew working had left the heat on 90 overnight. Not sure why, but I was just floored.
    I now make it a point to run by every night and knock it down to about 65.

• phoggie
    11 years ago

The utilities are in my name, so they are my bills to pay. If they are doing Sheetrock, your house needs to be kept warm so the mud will dry.

• sweet.reverie
    11 years ago

We are paying over here. Good thing I just ordered checks! I have never written as many checks in my life as I have in the last three months.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

You end up paying one way or another. The house needs to dry out, so keeping it a bit warmer than ususual will actually help with that. It's just part of the unexpected expenses that your contingency should cover.

• renovator8
    11 years ago

You pay for everything used to build your house; the issue is whether or not you have already paid for it in your contract and only you can know what your contract says.

I have never seen the cost of electricity included in a contract price however it should be made clear what fuel will be used for heat in order to minimize the cost.

• myhappyspace
    11 years ago

We're paying all of ours, but we are also not going through a builder to build our house. It sucks paying gas, electric, insurance, etc on a house we don't live in yet! I'm on my third tank of propane in about a month. :/

• Kathy O'Brien
    6 years ago

Need feed back for owners paying power and water for contractors to build there home wasnt in my contract they handed these utility contracts after I signed the contract

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

My buddy Fred Hueston wrote an article on how he was called to diagnose white marble tiles turning colors. The cheap homeowner turned off the air conditioning during construction and the tile rusted. Had to tear it all out.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Get out your checkbook and get used to paying for everything on your property. Including snow removal if the build lasts that long.

• User
    6 years ago

Power was in our contract as a line item.

• swamini
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We are rebuilding our home after fire damage from scratch with new foundation. my question is our builder never told us about paying for utilities during construction. its not in our contract as well. so who pays for it? our builder is David weekely. we are in Austin.

• millworkman
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

"rebuilding our home"

You would pay the utilities as this is your home and they are in your name and your responsibility.

• chispa
    2 years ago

@swamini, You will have to pay for everything that is required to build YOUR home. Either directly or indirectly through the builder.

What type of contract do you have for your build?