Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martinkk333

Please help with home layout.

martinkk333
12 years ago

I am moving this so that the picture is not buried so deep now that I know how to do it.

A little background:

The area next to the garage is a mud room. The stairs go to storage. Right now, there are no rooms upstairs.

The utility area next to the mud room is pretty much just indoor storage. We plan to put freezers and such in there to keep them out of sight.

The area by the stairs on the west side of the plan labeled mini mud should be a small mud room type area where someone coming from the garage under the house could drop their belongings. (coats, coveralls,shoes, clipboard, etc.) My DH works from his truck and this arrangement will work great for him.

I know the kitchen is just sort of throwed there with places marked for cabinets. We haven't really designed this area yet. More looking for layout ideas, maybe. I would love to have a long table in front of a row of windows there, I think, but also probably seating at the island.

I love the way the master bath is drawn but it takes up a lot of space. I need to find a way to integrate it better or switch to something else.

We are empty nesters so really don't need all the little bedrooms daily but we do have a lot of visitors (grandkids) so right now the plan for the rooms is one for boys, one for girls, and one for adults.

We do a ton of entertaining. The large garage on the NE corner of the house will be turned into a large game room shortly after we move in.

Right now, we are not really trying to focus on the details right now, more on finding a GREAT way to integrate the master suite, mini-mud room, kitchen and living room into the design first.

Thank you so much for your help. I have seen you do wonders for others.

{{gwi:1409885}}

Comments (3)

• whallyden
    12 years ago

In my opinion, you should seek out an architect. From my perspective, the flow of this home needs a lot of work first. Also note that the meandering footprint (angles, outside corners, etc.) will be costly to build. Good luck.

• Raised_Cottage
    12 years ago

Floor planning is fun and challenging. I've been fiddling with software for a while and finally have something we will build. You probably already know that one story of a given sq footage will cost you more than 2 stories of the same sq footage. Major costs to build are foundation and roof. The more you have and the more it departs from a regular square or rectangle, the more costs will increase. Complex footprints require complex roofs that are harder to build and likelier to leak. That said, if you are willing to pay for the complex foundation, note that much of it is devoted to garages. The angled walls can produce wonderful views and could be wasted on a garage.

The entry works, the living room is furnishable and the entertainment builtin could be placed on that wall shared with the laundry. Fireplace could go straight back. That would be good Feng Shui. Straight back is fame and belongs to the fire element.

The kitchen opening could be wider and the room itself could be smaller. Not sure where the fridge is, but it looks like you have to walk around to get to the sink. Think about where you will be looking when at the sink and stove. The fridge-sink-stove should form a triangle of operation. Sink or fridge should never face the stove. Very bad Feng Shui.

The master bath is not done. Not sure why there are stairs going up from a closet. How do you enter the master bedroom? If you are ready to spend money on angled or curved walls, do it in the master bed, master bath, and/or breakfast area.

Way too much wall, foundation, and roof complexity is being spent to create 4 garage spaces. Money saved here can go into a really nice kitchen and master bath. That utility room looks like it is really the master bed hall.

What software did you use? Is this 16 OC? What about window placement. I may not be time to get an architect yet. You could spend some more time thinking about how you and the occupants want to use space. Then layout accordingly. I devised my own plan because nothing we saw would accommodate us. While we could live in a variety of square footages, we need 10 compartments for our family: Master bed, 2 bedrooms (one for each child), a place go gather, a place to cook, a place to eat, a guest bedroom (used as second living space), a play/rec room, his office, her office. Think about what you need as space. You plan reminds me of one of the first things I drew when I got my home design software. This is a good try. Better to do it digitally and than stand back and say "maybe not" than to build it actually and regret it. Goo luck.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I saw in one of your other threads that you would like to break ground soon.

Please consult with an architect immediately. Your plan is kind of like a conceptual bubble diagram at this point: one that puts the adjacencies where you would like them to be, but in no way is this a buildable plan. I am not trying to be harsh just getting to the point. Please consult with a professional.