Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aggie9597

Can I See Your....Stucco/Stone or HardiPlank/Stone Exteriors?

aggie9597
15 years ago

We are in the process of getting bids, and our builder has already informed me that my desire to use a stucco/stone exterior is at the top of the price category.

I'm not sure I'm willing to give up on the idea just yet....the builder suggested using hardiplank or brick.

I'd consider hardiplank, but not sold on brick.....

Would you mind sharing your exterior photos to help me get some design inspiration?!

Thanks in advance!

Comments (12)

• kellyeng
    15 years ago

Hi Angela,

We almost went with a board and batten hardi (sometimes still wish we did). It has a very "Texas Hill Country" look just like the stone/stucco combo. I would never go with brick, it just doesn't look right for the style.

Take a look at the HBA Greater Austin website and search for builders. A lot of them have their websites listed and they usually have a ton of pictures in their portfolios.

Here are some pics from my idea file:

{{gwi:1409825}}

{{gwi:1409826}}

Here is a link that might be useful: HBAGA

• allison0704
    15 years ago

No stone at all?

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Cross posted with Kellyeng. Our original plans called for board and batten. I am so glad we did not use - dirt dobbers. They make a mess on our T&G wood ceilings outside and build on the cedar posts/beams too. We did a brick with a mortar wash. Could that be an option? imo, the house calls for stone and I would do whatever it takes to get it.

Board and batten would be less than brick, but then you have maintenance and upkeep that is much higher than brick.

• aggie9597
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kelly and Allison:

Could y'all just move here with me for a few months while we build this house? You both totally get our vision!

I LOVE the idea photos, Kelly, and have already earmarked the progressive farmer house in my notebook.

We will not compromise on stone....it's a must!

Thanks, ladies!

• athomewithchuck
    15 years ago

First Photo:

Manufactured Stone by Dutch Quality Stone - Natural Ledgestone & Hardie Plank w/ Mira Tec Trim Boards. {{gwi:1409831}}From Hunters Glen - Lot 38a Signature Plan

Second Photo:

Real Stone w/ Hardie Shakes & Hardie Plank. {{gwi:1409833}}From O'Neal Custom Build

• mel_bc
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1409835}}From housee
    {{gwi:1409837}}From housee
    {{gwi:1408650}}From housee

Here are a few pics of the house we just built. Sorry for the quality. They were taken when it was quite dark. We used stone on the front with shakes. But to the left of the front entrance, in the covered area, as well as the entire back of the house, we used hardi plank with shakes near the top . We also used the hardi plank/shake combo on the carriage house. We did not use real stone for any of the outside work. We used the fake stuff which saved tons of money because of the ease of installation. If you click on the pics they will get larger. By the way we were not quite finished building when these pics were taken. We are missing the balcony on the front.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

We did cultured stone (which is the norm here) and board and batten.

Here is a link that might be useful: House front

• sprice5105
    15 years ago

Here are a few pictures of my hardi/stone combo...

• Ron Natalie
    15 years ago

Take a look at mine...it's stone on the bottom, stucco in the middle and hardipanel on top:

Here is a link that might be useful: click on house

• mandybatten
    4 years ago

Hi :) I love your home and steps. Your steps are exactly what I've been looking for. I realize this is a really old post but could you tell me the type & color of stone and tread you used for your steps? Thank you so much!!!

• cpartist
    4 years ago

This thread is over 10 years old