Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for inspirational quotes / backsplash question

Posted by Sara40Sue (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 9:49

Hello --

The vertical "rise" of stairs is a place I have seen people express their beliefs (my favorite was the Fruits of the Spirit, one on each stair). Another place for this is the backsplash in kitchen and to some degree in bathrooms where tile can be used.

I'd love to have professionally-made Biblical verses that all match each other around the house, but these are surprisingly difficult to find on the Internet. Does anyone know of a source, or have suggestions for me.

Also, can you put a tiled backsplash on the wall behind a sink and stove and then cover it with a single piece of mirror or glass so that you don't have to worry about cleaning. I don't want to have grout that I cannot clean make the visual focus of my kitchen look disgusting. Or should I just opt for painted glass?

Thanks for your help!
Sara40Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for inspirational quotes / backsplash question

Stenciling can be a do-it-yourself project, but I think it would be time consuming. Personally, I don't care for stenciling.

Another thought is to find local faux painting artists. They paint murals, fake marbles on mantles or stone on doorways. They probably have the painting and calligraphy skills for lettering.

A sign shop may have the capability for making vinyl stick-ons you could use in the same font throughout the house. I think it could be cost-effective since much of the lettering is done on the computer.

o

I was thinking you could do a "diy" ? I attached a link to a website that looks interesting :) If you have any "artsy" friends maybe they could help you with it. Anyway, I have seen a few in friends' homes and they have all done them from a stencil or decal type application and I thought they looked beautiful! Well, tried a couple times to copy and paste but didn't work so the website is, worddecor-n-more.com

o

It's a HUGE mistake to do something like that in anything but paint that can be painted over. HUGE.

o

You can find someone on Etsy to do whatever you'd like.

Also, I don't think most people find grout on backsplashes to be much of a cleaning issue; scrubs up well as needed from time to time

o

I agree that it should be done only for walls or removable areas...not permanent materials like tile. It is something that, even if you don't tire of, will be too specific for the next owner and will need to be removed and will cost you one way or the other.

There are places on line that will allow you to print off your own wording on vinyl that can be applied to multiple surfaces.

I was in a home that had a xmas oriented phrase on her dining room wall, but she put it up in such a way that for the rest of the year, it was covered by a picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vinyl rub ons

o

Try Wallwords.com

I wasn't sure if they were still around, but just checked and they are. Even though they are vinyl, they still have a huge selection of ideas and inspirational quotes. Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wall Words

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here