Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

Are these the electric wires that people are afraid of?

bridget helm
11 years ago

Hi. We are wondering about power lines 25 feet behind a house. The actual structure, once built, would be exactly 25 feet from the power lines in the photo.

My husband and I are arguing over the TYPE of power lines that some people fear may cause tumors.

It's these big silver tower looking ones that people fear, right? Not the old school wood poles. I'm guessing the silver towers have more electricity running through them.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wyojones/galleries/72157625629640196#photo_5178804656

Comments (15)

• worthy
    11 years ago

Those do not appear to be long distance high voltage transmission lines--the dangers of which are unproven. (See link.) Interestingly, though, there are proven cases of malfunctioning distribution lines near homes that have been proven to be the cause of excess EMF levels.

Here is a link that might be useful: Health risks living near powerlines

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

" Not the old school wood poles."
    Old school? That's all we have around here, and there are no problems at all.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Those appear to be higher voltage distribution lines, just not as high or large as the steel tower type.

Those may be a few 100,000 volts.

It is hard to tell how large the insulator stacks are in the picture.

If the stacks are getting up to around 3 feet long (or more) they are definitely higher voltage feeders.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

No ... these are:

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LuAnn, by old school, I mean the lines on wood poles that have been around for decades and are found in the older neighborhoods. Newer neighborhoods are underground.

What are the stacks? The metal things the lines are held by? I'll have to take a closer look later today.

Is there some sort of wireless instrument I can buy to measure the voltage?

Good gravy - the things a girl's gotta do to get a piece of land in the city :/

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"What are the stacks? The metal things the lines are held by? "

They are not metal but ceramic insulators.

The higher the voltage the larger the number of insulators required.

And there remains no good evidence they are harmful, just an eyesore.

Your blender, food processor, or electric blanket probably expose you to fields many times stronger than power lines since you are so close to them in operation (vs. the power lines on a pole).

This post was edited by brickeyee on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 15:22

• niteshadepromises
    11 years ago

From the article linked above "In conclusion, there are no known health risks that have been conclusively demonstrated to be caused by living near high-voltage power lines. But science is unable to prove a negative, including whether low-level EMFs are completely risk free. Most scientists believe that exposure to the low-level EMFs near power lines is safe, but some scientists continue research to look for possible health risks associated with these fields. If there are any risks such as cancer associated with living near power lines, then it is clear that those risks are small."

In other words you are more likely to get cancer from breathing city air, than those powerlines. While they remain an eyesore and a real estate concern from that perspective, I wouldn't worry. If Penn and Teller's canceled Showtime show, of which I cannot utter the name here were still on, power lines causing cancer would have been a wonderful topic to debunk..darnit.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here's a closeup from underneath the pole. the stacks/insulators looked to be about a foot long. makes sense that they are ceramic and not metal as i guessed earlier.

• saftgeek
    11 years ago

Hello BMH. I am a safety geek for a rural electric cooperative. The lines pictured look to be higher than distribution voltage. I'm going out on a limb and going to guess 69,000 volts.

I have seen many, many linemen retire after working 40+ years with the voltage present on these types of structures and the don't seem to be growing any more tumors than anyone else. I honestly would be more bothered by the aesthetics of living 25 feet from power lines. What easement do they have? Do you like trees??? Any chance of large developments which would warrant taller, larger, or multiple structures?

I recommend you call the utility company and ask. There are no secrets or conspiracies which would keep them from simply telling you what is what. Lastly, the world is full of nut jobs and snake oil salesmen who either enjoy, or make their living from exploiting people's fears and ignorance. I cannot tell you how aggravated I get when I hear voodoo stories about how this magic box will filter out impurities and save money... A lot of the EMF info out there is not based on any credible science.

Good luck!

Saftgeek-

• galore2112
    11 years ago

The biggest risk is eye cancer. Because those lines are freaking ugly.

• worthy
    11 years ago

Community and Environmental Defense Services, a group largely of attorneys specializing in environmental cases, illustrates how counting insulators can help estimate the transmission line voltage.

This post was edited by worthy on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 0:32

• Sera Edwards-Dugas
    2 years ago

Im afraid of both all power lines :)

• chispa
    2 years ago

fyi - this is an 8 year old thread.

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

To add a bit of color to this resurrected thread, last millenium there was a Japanese house designed and built which used the easement of the high-voltage lines as a constraint in the massing. The easements are the circular fields around two of the closest power lines, not the ground area below or next to the lines or towers. I believe this was for a regulated physical clearance, not specifically to be a safe distance from a measured EMF frequency (I am not sure), but it is an interesting example. Here is a web link with more photos: "House Under High-Voltage Lines"

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz