Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hollyh3kids

we are finally in!!! lots of pics!!!

hollyh3kids
15 years ago

After 10 long months we moved in last week. We still don't have things on the walls or toilet paper holders installed but we are getting there! Here are some pictures:

Kitchen-excuse the table....we plan to either paint it or something. Our old kitchen was really colorful so it is from our old house.

mudroom with cubbies

toy room

boys bath

my daughters room. I painted all the dots by hand!

one of my boys' rooms

master bath

I have to say, the last 15% was the worst! I thought we would never make it! But now that we are in, we are starting to feel like its worth it! Best wishes to all of you still in progress and thanks for your help. You may remember that we asked for advice on our island placement. We moved it 4 inches and now it works great!

Comments (43)

• broconne
    15 years ago

Great looking house!

What are the dimensions of your mudroom.

Do you know what you paid for that transom over the cabinets in the Kitchen? We plan on going to contract soon with a similar kitchen plan and I have light concerns because we have a covered deck right off the kitchen and only one window in the kitchen directly - which is enclosed by the screened porch).

• buildinva
    15 years ago

Beautiful!!! Congratulations!!! I know it must feel wonderful!

Is your house a specific plan or based on one, or custom? I actually love your colorful table, lol.

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    15 years ago

Gorgeous home! I like how you incorporated a bench into your mudroom as well as lockers. Can you tell me what product you used for your wide exterior window trim?

• hollyh3kids
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! I don't remember how much that one transom was broconne but I could try to find it. We didn't have any light coming in from the West on that side so that is why we added that transom. It really is a neat way to add light above.

Buildinva-our house was a local builders plan that we modified. So semi-custom I guess.

• hollyh3kids
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mudroom dimensions are approx. 6 1/2ft x 15ft. The bench area is a little deeper.

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

Love the color in the mudroom. I love the blue and white checkerboard bathroom--great colors. And, your daughter's room is darling! I love all the color. It is wonderful. Great job. It feels very personal and warm.

• worthy
    15 years ago

Very nicely done inside and out.

Especially the warm woodsy heart of the home in the kitchen/dining/family room.

The clerestory window in the kitchen is a great touch. I also like the bold designs and colours in just the right proportion throughout.

• megradek
    15 years ago

It looks fantastic!!! A huge congrats! I'm so glad the island move worked - looks like you've got enough clearance with DS sitting there :) I love the kids rooms and the masterbath. Is that a slate backplash in there? cool. love it. good luck with the finishing touches.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

I looks great! I know you'll love doing all the "after" things to make it a home for your family.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Congratulations! Your home looks so warm. Love the built-ins, especially the mudroom and the toy room. Thanks for sharing!

• kellyeng
    15 years ago

Very nice & lots of thoughtful touches that makes a house a home. Congratulations!

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    15 years ago

Congratulations on a warm, lovely, very livable house! And I just love that exterior shot of your house in the snow. Makes me want to come over and decorate your house for Christmas. LOL.

So glad the kitchen island issue worked out so well. I didn't remember your login name but recognized the island and that gorgeous flooring immediately. So I was delighted to see your son sitting at the counter with room enough behind him to easily access the fridge.

So wish you hadn't told us that the last 15% was the worst tho.... I still have that ahead of me.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Congratulations!! Your house is lovely and I love all the lively colors you used. I personally love the red kitchen and the different color chairs. Everything is very pretty.

• crazyhouse6
    15 years ago

Congratulations! Beautiful home! Love all your built-ins, color choices and personal finishes. Dumb, simple ? for you - Would you mind sharing where your polka dot towels & bath mats are from? Thanks.

• hollyh3kids
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Crazyhouse6, those towels and bath mats were from Bed Bath and Beyond. I got them awhile back but I just saw they were still there and on sale. It really pulled the room together.
    Thanks for the comments everyone! It boosts your ego to post your house on here!! LOL! :)

• jilliferd
    15 years ago

Holly,

So glad that the island worked out! The stools you chose look just perfect, too.

The rest of the house looks great, too. You have a fun design sense with the pops of color everywhere.

Congratulations!

Jill

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Beautiful! It looks so warm and welcoming in the snow!

I love your red island and the high window -- very creative way to add light in the kitchen. Love your boldness with color!

Now enjoy adding the special touches . . . Like Bevangel, we're probably at the last 15% and hope things finish out as nicely as yours did!

• missstaceyh
    15 years ago

Congratulations! Love the red island. Your little girl's room is adorable. I have mudroom envy. We are getting ready to start building soon so I had to share pic of your mudroom with DH. Cubbies are great, love the bench and the wood/ paint mix on the walls is beautiful! Way to go!

• raenjapan
    15 years ago

It's gorgeous! I particularly love the color scheme in the master bathroom, and the exterior. Wonderful job, and congratulations on being in!

• shelly_k
    15 years ago

It is just beautiful! I love the colors and your kids' rooms! How did you paint the polka dots? Love them!

• hollyh3kids
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shelly K - thanks....I painted the brown first and then took a large coffee can lid and traced it in pencil on the wall and then painted each dot with a foam brush. It took awhile and it is not perfect close up but my daughter is only 18 months old so she doesn't care! She goes up to the dots and points at them! :) It is by far the room that gets the most comments!

• crescent50
    15 years ago

Congratulations on your beautiful home. It looks so warm and inviting. The bold colors and built ins are just perfect. YOur children must love their rooms!

• cruiser1
    15 years ago

Really sharp. What would it take to see the floor plan? Would you tell me how many sq ft? thanks alot, REAL NICE

• divadly
    15 years ago

Very, very nice! Love those polka dot towels! Can you share the paint colors in the blue/brown bathroom and in the toy room?

THANKS!

• trudymom
    15 years ago

Congratulations!! Very warm kitchen, love the brown bathroom cabinets, and cute son also!

• phoggie
    15 years ago

Loved you new home....congats!!!

What did you use on your counter tops?.....goes to show that you don't have to use granite to have a beautiful kitchen~~~~ Where did you get your lights?...what wood is your cabinets?....what is your back-splash? Glad your island worked out...and really liked it painted red. You have a good taste of color....too many people are afraid to use it...but can sure see that you aren't. GOOD JOB!

• arewethereyet
    15 years ago

Holly, it's just gorgeous! I'm so impressed with how you pulled it all together. This is just the part I'm starting on now, and I'm struggling to envision the finished product. Thanks for sharing all your photos--you helped me solve some problems, like not having all the cabinetry in the whole house match. I really like the way your cabs don't match, but do feel like all those rooms belong to the same house! Nice job and congrats!

• hollyh3kids
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone! Phoggie--we used Formica laminate on the counters. Two different styles that compliment each other. One on the perimeter and the other on the island. Our original plan was solid surface but with the economy and everything else being over budget we decided not to. And actually, we really like it. We did a stained hickory edgeband so it looks classy I think. Our lights are from The Lighting Corner (local I think). I could find out the brand name if you wanted to look online. Our cabinets are Pecan with Cinnamon stain. They are from Omega Cabinetry. Our backsplash is simply beadboard painted white. I was kind of sick of always seeing tile.

Arewethereyet - Glad we could help...I don't miss your stage, all those decisions are terrible! Honestly I think if all your cabinets matched it would be boring! We did different colors and even different style doors in each room. You'll get there...I have learned though to go with my gut, not what people suggest. You are the only one that knows your style and that will help it to feel that its your house.
    Best wishes!

• ILoveRed
    15 years ago

Your house is gorgeous and so is your little one.

I recommend something that I just put on my chairs (about two years too late) after having felt bottoms wear out and scratch my hardwood floors. They are floor protectors and even the most rowdy kid can't scratch the floor moving the chairs around. The product is called "slipstick feet" if I remember right. It has to be screwed into the bottom of each leg.

You did a great job--I love your house and especially your mud room.

• divadly
    15 years ago

Were the paint colors posted on another thread? Would really love to know the brown color in the master bath! :-)

• hollyh3kids
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I do have all the paint colors but they are from Repcolite which I think is only local. We live in Michigan. I can give you the code but I'm not sure if where ever you live they could match? Its not like it has a name, its just a bunch of numbers and letters. Let me know if you still want the code and I can post that...

The master bath is my favorite room I think! :)

• okinawan
    15 years ago

I LOVE IT!!!!! Congrats to you....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• amyks
    15 years ago

What a beautiful home! I love your colors throughout, great touches everywhere! Congratulations.

Amy

• mcbird
    15 years ago

Your entire home is just beautiful. I love the paint in your daughters room especially. I'm a quilter and that's the kind of room that would inspire a quilt design.
    Ok, forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I live in Texas so are the poles to the side of the driveway to show you driveway boundary if the snow gets too high? We Texans don't do snow well, so I'm kinda lost there.
    Enjoy your home.

• hollyh3kids
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ha Ha! YES, those are called snow stakes. We use them in Michigan to know where to snow plow and snow blow. Then you don't scrape up your grass, etc. Even though we don't have a lawn in yet.

Thanks for the compliments. My daughters room was fun to do. After two boys, its fun to have a girl! Feel free to send me a quilt if you get inspired!! :)

Texas weather sounds good to us about now!

• riley605
    15 years ago

So very lovely! I have to say, I teared up looking at your kitchen, because our taste is very similar and I lost my kitchen (and everything else, meh) in last week's tornado in Oklahoma. (Not pandering for sympathy or anything, we have wonderful insurance.)

You should be very proud, you've created such a beautiful and welcoming home for your family!

• hollyh3kids
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Riley605,

Thanks and so very sorry to hear that...I did not hear about that tornado. Hopefully with your good insurance you can build the same kitchen that you loved and even tweek it to be better!

• mdasay
    15 years ago

Holly:

I would also love to know the colors you used. They look great. We have hit the seven-year itch with our house and need to give it a refresh - and I have to hand it to you, your home is sooooooo refreshing. I love it. You have a real knack for color. It looks great without being too busy! Are the vertical lines in the toy room paint or wallpaper? Love the blue in the mudroom. Please post the colors and I will try to see if the local paint store can match them.

Again, congrats on making your house a lovely home...

• newmod
    15 years ago

Very nice home. Just wondering how many square ft it is and what plan name is it or where did you get the plan?

• howmuchlonger
    15 years ago

Please tell me about your wood floors int the kitchen. Your house looks beutiful! I too love the color on the walls and the bench and locker space in the mud room (hoping I will have enough room in my laundry/mud room for that).

• hollyh3kids
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is about 2800 sq ft and it is a local builders plan.

The wood floors are hardwood maple. I posted a link that may be helpful.

Thanks for the compliments!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood Floor link

• mtnlaw
    15 years ago

The mud room is great. What did you use on the floor. Please also let me know the name of the color.
    That would be perfect in our basement.
    Thanks

• hollyh3kids
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The mudroom floor is 12x12 Kund Multicolor slate. And so far I LOVE it. Doesn't show dirt or anything.