Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommyto4boys_gw

Please help with order of things

mommyto4boys
10 years ago

I have been lurking and watching your builds...haven't been posting a huge amount because our progress is so slow. Recap of our build....we are owner builder, diy'er, going crazy living in this unfinished house. The house was started 19 months ago and it seems longer. We moved in 12 months ago with things very unfinished (we do have our temp occupancy). We love our land and the floor plan is working out wonderfully. The Carpet is being installed today in the upstairs. Our now 6 boys are going to feel like they are in heaven. 500+ square foot bonus rooms and 3 bedrooms will be finished!!!

NOW!!! What about the downstairs. We are still on subfloors and do have tile finished in the Landry room and bathroom. The master bedroom will be carpet and the rest 5" heart pine floors. We were thinking Waterlox for a finish, but have yet to get a sample to come out (that we like). They have been acclimating in the house for 10 months now ;) in our prior build we used prefinished wood flooring and installed it after the baseboards and all trim were installed/painted. Then finished with shoe moulding. DH, is so confused by conflicting reports on the order to do things now.

We have our perimeter kitchen cabinets in place and will need to work with that if possible or remove if there is not another way. The counters are only temporary ones at this point. The cabinets are raised up off the sub floor to allow for the wood floor. The window casements are finished, however we do not have base or door/entry casement where there will be wood floor. We were trying to avoid using shoe moulding; however DH seems to be sounding like that might not be possible now. So, do we do all the trim, paint it, and then install the floor. Try to slip paper between the base and floor and tape it off and then finish the floors??? Should we install the floors and finish them, cover to protect and then finish trim and paint trim??? Use shoe mould???

In the tile area we installed the tile and then the baseboards because we read a lot on how this was the "best." However, DH and I do both think we like the way it looked better in our prior homes when the base was down first and then tile and grout up to it. Especially, with slate in the mud room, it is installed well, just still seems to be some gaps with the base installed over the tile.

Could you please share the order you have seen this done and/or give your recommendations for us. I am beyond desperate to get this main floor area finished. I know it makes it harder that we are living here with the floor finishing. We do plan on staying in a motel while we finish the floors.

The picture show the wood floors already installed in the upstairs loft and hallway. They will not be as dark as the trim around the stairs. DH is doing a great job, but he has a full time regular job and 6 boys. I'm trying to be patient.

Thank you for your help.

Comments (5)

• jennybc
    10 years ago

I wouldn't think you could get away without using shoe moulding. The reason being the 3/4" gap you need to leave for expansion/contraction (mainly expansion) for unfinished, flooring. If you lay flooring in winter typically it's as small/narrow as it will get and the summer humidity will make it expand. So if there is a 3/4" gap your trim more than likely will not cover it (unless you are using something I haven't thought of). So after trim there will still be a small gap to cover with... shoe moulding.
    I would do floors first, sand, finish. Then trim. The sanders will bump the trim no matter what. That is if the trim is already installed?!? The ideal would be to do floors first, install painted trim after then shoe.

Make sense?

Jen

• mommyto4boys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jen, thanks...your comment does make sense. Excuse my more ???'s...lack of knowledge. If the unfinished floor is installed first, would a typical baseboard then installed next, be enough to cover the expansion? I have seen people who have not used shoe moulding and wonder how that is possible? Not that I'm completely against the shoe mould...I was thinking it was preferred, as in an upgrade to not use the shoe mould? I thought if we were installing on our own...perhaps we could do it "more right" without a better word choice here. I suppose it is personal preference of the look in the end. I was thinking it was more modern to use the shoe moulding...not that our house is historical looking or anything.

Then more questions about the painting. DH has a sprayer and lots of experience painting and does a great finish. I know there have been a few "tight" fit places (behind the toilet, etc) that he has prepainted the baseboards and then installed. Generally he has preferred to install, prime, then caulk and sand, fill in nail holes and then finish paint. I'm concerned about the finished paint quality if painting all prior to installing. DH does a great job, but I'm sure not as good as a full timer professional (shhhh). He himself has said caulk is his best friend.

Thank you!!!!

• jennybc
    10 years ago

So after laying ours... There were places where the drywall was "high" and you could assume the 1/2" of drywall space would take up part of the 3/4 expansion gap. But in our house the majority of areas wouldn't allow us to consider this as part of the 3/4 expansion area because the drywall was too low and close to the subfloor. What you don't want is to assume you can go less than 3/4" because let's say it does expand...a bunch then it will push your wall. In extreme cases, lets say you have a water problem and sever swelling then you can push a whole wall out. Not good. I was under the assumption that our baseboards were 1/2" but they are not even that thick, so we will be using quarter round or shoe moulding of some shape. One look I have seen that is kinda cool is to stain the shoe moulding to match the flooring instead of painting it to match baseboards. To me this kinda fools the eye making it look more a part of the flooring instead of the wall.

Jen

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

First of all, I have to say you and your DH are amazing in your perseverance! Both of you have full time jobs whether yours is outside the home or not so the fact that either one of you has the energy to tackle house projects is the gift of youth!!! I do remember those days but they are fleeting :-/

So....looking at pictures online, it appears that base shoe has fallen out of favor a bit in new builds because it's a cleaner look, but it certainly hasn't disappeared altogether. And in older homes I think it's almost a given. As Jen said, floors first then baseboards.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I did the baseboards after the wood floor in my old house. Didn't end up having a choice in this one and really wish I hadn't been in the hospital when it all went down.

I prefer no shoe molding and if your drywall isn't all the way to the floor you should have plenty of space for the expansion gap and putting baseboard on top. But only if you can still have the floor go under the drywall some or you will have a gap.

Most baseboards even if using 1xsomething flat stock is not wide enough. 1x is 3/4" so a 3/4" gap would mean it would be right on the edge and you'd likely have gaps. Pre-fab baseboards are thinner than that.