Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muncher_gw

Insulation

muncher
14 years ago

I have searched on this, and there are some great threads and links - http://www1.eere.energy.gov/consumer/tips/insulation.html

http://www.healthyhouseinstitute.com/a_929-Tight_Construction

We want to do icenene in the attic and the walls. We are willing to spend the $$$ on insulation. Our builder likes to put it in attics, but recommended batt in the walls so the house can 'breathe'.

It seems like since we are willing to spend the money, there should be something better than batt in the exterior walls. I can see the point of the downside of sealing a house too tightly.

We live in the South, where it is hot in the summer, and can be cold in the winter.

Comments (8)

• angfento
    14 years ago

Check to see if there is an Energy Rater near you. We hired one, and one of the first things he mentioned was that designing a house to breathe may not be necessary. Note he doesn't have any partnership with the foam guys or anything. He is strictly an Engineer that is an Energy Star rater and consulatnant. We are going to use spray foam, california corners, etc. You can also use spray in cellulose also, but I've heard about settling issues after a period of time. Just some thoughts... by no way am I an expert! But the Energy Rater has given us a lot of good information. And he also will go out there while the insulation and HVAC or geothermal, and windows are being installed to confirm that it's being done correctly.

• worthy
    14 years ago

A house does not need to "breathe". The best built house is a tight house that is properly ventilated. Two different things entirely.

I wouldn't preclude using fg. But unless it is combined with a less air permeable insulation and tight construction, it's not going to be thermally effective. FWIW, when I have a say in building, I combine fg with XPS sheathing, lots of tape, caulking, gasketing and spray foam.

Until contractors and builders and the guy taking orders at your typical lumber yard get over the idea that "loose" construction is desirable, there won't be much progress towards tighter homes.

The best information on homebuilding widely available to the general public is from Building Science Corp. See link. Incidentally, they also write much of the similar info at the Department of Energy EERE.

Here is a link that might be useful: Building Science Corp. on Insulation

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

"We live in the South, where it is hot in the summer, and can be cold in the winter".

You have to be real careful about getting a house "tight" in the deep south.

• emilynewhome
    14 years ago

We live in the SW LA, we have closed cell foam in the exterior walls and open cell under the roof deck (unvented attic). We have an energy recovery ventilator (ERV, we keep the fan on all the time so there is fresh air.
    We have been in our home a year now and are very happy with the indoor temperatures and low energy bills.
    Yes. it is expensive and perhaps 2X6's and rock wool may have been more cost eficient. (Learned about this later)!

• macv
    14 years ago

What is meant by a house "breathing" is that it allows moisture to pass through the walls which is not necessarily appropriate in all climates. It has nothing to do with air movement although some builders think it does.

Since open-cell foam (like Icynene) is not necessarily a vapor barrier it might be good. Rigid insulation board on the exterior of the sheathing might also be good. Dense-pack cellulose (not loose or wet sprayed) might also work. It all depends on the climate, the building envelope, and the HVAC system; there are no rules that work for all conditions.

• muncher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you VERY much everyone! Lots of food for thought. Great idea to hire an energy consultant - I had not even thought of that.

• worthy
    14 years ago

Here's Dr. Joe's annotated list of the"Top Ten List of Dumb Things to do in the South" when building homes.

• energy_rater_la
    14 years ago

No you don't have to be careful about building too tightly
    anywhere. you just add fresh air.
    build tight..ventilate right.
    Put your closed cell foam boards (1" foil facing out)'to
    exterior of walls. Tape all seams, but first make sure foil
    is dry and clean. when trades make holes..foam or tape them.
    this is added insulation ( R-6.7 for 1" closed cell) to the wall and provides a thermal break to minimize thermal
    bridging thru wood studs. insulate with conventional insulation and use ADA (air tight drywall approach)
    with sheetrock inside. The exterior foam will make walls
    air tight from exterior and ADA will continue the air tightness from the interior. Insulation loses its R-value
    when air passes thru it.

Open cell in attic on roofline, if your mechanicals
    are in the attic. if you put your heating system inside
    and ductwork inside then use the open cell on the attic floor. Buy ICAT (insulation contact air tight) recessed lights if you use these lights. It is best to put the
    things that heat and cool your home inside the conditioned space. If you decide to install them in the attic then
    the roofline install makes a huge difference. With this application the attic becomes semi conditioned.

Hvac system can be downsized, get a load calc and stay away from that rule of thumb sizing (usually 500 sq ft per
    ton) Oversizing of hvac systems is a huge problem because
    they don't run long enough to remove humidity..and high Relative Humidity and mold are issues.

Louisiana has a program called HERO Home Energy Rebate Option through the dept of natural resources.
    I've been a rater for 10+ years and don't know everthing
    but do know what works in most cases.I admit that I have
    good resources when my clients ask something I am unsure of
    I tell them that I need to check it out and get back to them.

visit www.buildingscience.com site and you can
    review the information for our climate.
    Joe knows. And he shares,,you can email him...call him
    and he gets back to you farily quickly..as his schedule allows.

best of luck,.