Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcfromct

Can windows in garage doors affect the temperature inside?

mcfromct
11 years ago

We are building a home in Central CT with a 3-car attached garage. Assuming that the house is insulated properly, do windows in the garage doors make it less insulated? The master bath is above the garage and I don't want it to be cold in the winter. The doors face the south.

Comments (12)

• renovator8
    11 years ago

It depends on the garage design. The additional heat loss through the glass will be proportional to the area of the glass, insulated door panels, and the exterior walls, the R value of those elements, the temperature to which you intend to heat the garage, and the amount and kind of insulation you put in the ceiling.

The issue will be the cost of heating the garage enough to keep the bathroom floor warm and avoid pipes freezing. You might want to put electric heating mats under the bathroom tile.

The ceiling insulation should be spray foam in order to seal it from cold air leaks and avoid CO poisoning to the occupants above if a car is left running below.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Just an opinion: an unheated garage will be cold in winter with or without windows, and the windows would have minimal effect on the temperature. I would rather walk into a garage with some natural light. Heating the bathroom floor is the way to go.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Insulate it well and put in enough south facing widows and it might even get warm.

• renovator8
    11 years ago

The windows are of little importance; it is whether or not you plan to heat the garage that will make a difference.

• mcfromct
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. We have no plans to heat the garage. I am more concerned with the temp of the rooms above it and was wondering if garage windows make a significant difference as far as allowing more cold air into the garage and therefore making the rooms above it colder. Sounds like they don't make a huge difference and we should focus on making sure the ceiling in the garage is insulated properly and possibly putting heated floors in the bathroom. Thank you all for your input!

• worthy
    11 years ago

we should focus on making sure the ceiling in the garage is insulated properly

There is only one truly effective way to do it. Here's Mike Holmes using my sub.

• mcfromct
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Renovator8- I could really use your expertise in looking at our plans. They are in pdf format. Is there any way I could send them to you without posting them to the whole forum?

• renovator8
    11 years ago

You can reach me via gmail.

• mcfromct
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much-

• mcfromct
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just sent it, Renovator8. Hopefully the file isn't too large.

• crazy_in_mason
    11 years ago

My builder had a unique solution to this problem. He constructed an area immediately below my bathroom. It was maybe 3 feet deep. He insulated the exterior walls with insulation. He then gave the area its own vent to and from the Hvac. My bathroom floor is never cold in the morning.