Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donaldd678_gw

Would like opinions on our floor plan

donaldd678
11 years ago

Hello, this is our first time building a custom home (or any home for that matter). We would like opinions on this floor plan for the 1st floor. We plan on being 4 bed/4.5 bath and will figure out the second floor once we get the first floor pinned down. Any advice or opinions is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• Naf_Naf
    11 years ago

I like it. It is a good start.
    2 Comments:

-It does not make sense to have those 2 columns up front if that area will not be an usable porch - unless you have french doors instead of a window.

-It is not that nice entering the house thru the laundry room. For a house like "this", is not expected.
    If you agree, this is something that you could do:
    shift the single garage to align with the kitchen/butler wall. Place the laundry between garage and masterbath, You only need to extend the hall a few feet to reach the laundry. The laundry will have all the windows you want. That also will unify the 2 garages /back entry area and you could have a mud bench/closet/cabinets in the hallway.

If you are ok with no windows in the laundry, then you could switch laundry and master closet. The mastercloset will work better next to the bathroom. Either way, you can have a door communicating closet and laundry. I know many people like that possibility.

• renovator8
    11 years ago

Nice work; I appreciate the use of a sketch instead of a computer drawing at this design stage.

I recommend developing a rough plan of the second floor now.

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 8:21

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I am not an architect like the 2 above but love Naf nafs idea.

A house this nice should have a nice side entry that does not lead guests through your laundry room.

I like the split garages. Is there any way you could have a nice little porched entry designed between that area?

I am a sucker for 2 stairways.

What kind of facade do you anticipate?

Looks like a nice start.

• chicagoans
    11 years ago

For a house this size the DR looks a bit small. Try penciling in your table and chairs to scale and see how much room you have between the chair backs (pushed out like someone is sitting there) and the wall. Looks like it will be fine if there is no other furniture along the long wall, but if you have a buffet, china cabinet, etc. it might be tight for people walking behind anyone seated. Certainly not a show stopper but this looks like a great house for entertaining so just thought I'd mention it if you host large dinner parties (and/or have a large china cabinet.) Looks like a nice house!

• zone4newby
    11 years ago

There isn't going to be much natural light in the kitchen or family room. These are the spaces you are most likely to use during the day.

• chispa
    11 years ago

I would switch positions of media room and guest suite. I would rather have a public room at the back with more windows and french doors to the patio. It can then be a more flexible space and be used as a media room, playroom or pool table room.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I like Naf's suggestions...if your utility will in fact be your laundry area. But, if you plan to have your main laundry upstairs, and this utility area is mostly your family entrance/mudroom, this works okay, imo.
    Having a side entry from outside would still be useful though, so if someone pulls up and just wants to park in the driveway (or get home off the bus) and want to go into the mudroom/utility, they wouldn't have to open a garage door.