Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
captainawesome_gw

Plan review -- new baby + no sleep = need help

CaptainAwesome
10 years ago

Long time reader, 1st time poster. Haven't gotten much sleep lately with a new baby and we're trying to get our "dream home" built at the same time. We haven't signed a contract yet, but are nearing finishing the conceptual phase of the house design and signing off on it. I'd really appreciate some awesome feedback from everyone.

-House will be ~3200 sq ft
-We were really looking for a large open space on the first floor for entertaining.

Other than that, we were pretty open with what we wanted and eventually, after a bunch of meetings and revisions with the architect, came up with this:

Comments (20)

• CaptainAwesome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Second floor:

• psg007
    10 years ago

Hey. I really like this plan. Hard to see dimensions though. Anyway you can make it bigger? There were a few things I noticed:

Formal dining - will that be used as a dining space, in addition to the breakfast area? In my experience, most people only need one dining area, but if you'll use it for more than Christmas and other holiday meals, then keep it!

Laundry/mudroom - Personally, I dislike having the laundry downstairs when all the bedrooms are upstairs. Having to move clothes up and down can get tedious. If it were me, I would get rid of the two-storey foyer (too noisy) and make that area upstairs into a laundry. That would allow you to make the area near the garage into a proper mudroom, maybe with some pantry space? Love the front-entry garage though (I personally do not get side-entry garages!)

Upstairs, the kids bath needs a window. If you don't want a window above the bathtub, I'm sure you could rearrange it so the window is above the toilet. Either way, I would want some natural light in that room.

Love the master bath plan, especially the fireplace near the tub! And the water closet is a decent size, you could maybe even put a small hand washing sink in there.

Overall, its a nicely laid out plan. Good luck with the new baby and with your future build.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

The family room is long and narrow -- have you tried laying out furniture? Where will the TV be placed? If it were mine, I think I'd do away with the two separated windows on the side wall . . . replace them with a nice window seat, flanked by book shelves. Then do your "main furniture" in front of the fireplace -- maybe move the fireplace to the right a bit, though that would throw off the symmetry. This'd give you your main seating area by the fireplace, and a sort of "secondary" seating area at the window seat.

You have an awful lot of cabinetry. There is such a thing as too much counter space. I don't think the part on t he garage wall will be used much -- after all, are you going to go away from your sink and main work area to mix up cookies facing the wall? I'd consider making this area into reach-in pantry space. It'll cost significantly less, and you'll have more storage.

All your plumbing is relatively compact . . . except the half bath, which seems a bit strange off the family room. I'd consider working it into the laundry room, which is spacious enough for this purpose. I think the location would be better near the entrance too.

A three-car garage facing the front of the house is going to be overwhelming.

I'm not sure I like the garage entry. It's the placement: This is a long house, and your everyday entrance is going to be on the far-far-far end. I'd like the entrance better if it were on the left edge of the kitchen /so you'd enter kind of near the breakfast room /more to the center of the house. I know this doesn't work with the mudroom concept.

• bpath
    10 years ago

I like it too! It's a little similar to mine, maybe that's why, especially upstairs :)

In the Master, will you put the bed under the window? Ours is, it's like sleeping in a treehouse. It will be a bit of a walk from bathroom to closet, but if you move the closet closer you end up with a hallway, not so nice. Someone wil mention where the light switch will go with double doors, so just plan for putting it in an accessible spot. But, as drawn there doesn't seem to be room for the doors to open all the way, a problem for getting to the bathroom, especially from the hall. So, either scoot the doors down toward the kid bedroom, or change to a single door.

In the kids bath, you probably don't need the pocket door or two sinks. My two boys are never in there at the same time, let alone one brushing (or shaving yikes) while one uses the commode. A pocket door might be handy just for a tub room so a shower-lingerer doesn't keep others out, but he'd probably lock the outer door anyway.

In the laundry ( and I don't mind my first floor laundry, since that's where I am most of the day and evening) but perhaps you'd like a door to the outside.

Is the dining room about 12x14? It's hard to see. Mine's about that. Could you have a bay window to match the study? It would make it less boxy and easier to walk around the table when you have a crowd.

Congrats on a new baby! Nothin' sweeter :)

• Katie S.
    10 years ago

I currently live in a house that is very similar to this one (first floor at least) and have a 2 year old and a baby, so just wanted to give you some thoughts:

My current kitchen is laid out in a very similar manner, and walking in circles around the island to get to the fridge gets old. If you are organized, you can take everything you need out of the fridge, put it on the island, and then start cooking, but if you are constantly needing to go back to the fridge this layout may drive you nuts. I do like that the fridge is recessed into the garage wall. Maybe move it closer to the laundry room so it is nearer your stove? I'm not sure, but I think it needs tweaking.

Regarding MrsPete's comment about cabinetry run along the garage wall- in my kitchen there is no counter space on this run (it is wall oven, fridge, and pantry), and I have never, ever felt that I needed it, and I cook all the time. A nice long pantry here would be very nice, especially since you have the cabinets in the breakfast area you can use as a coffee station.

I may be in the minority, but I think a laundry near the kitchen works well for a family with young kids. You can't be going upstairs to check on laundry, move it to the dryer, etc, while they are unsupervised downstairs, and sometimes doing it while they are napping wakes them up.

Your breakfast area is generous for being one of two dining spaces, but I think it will be a nice area for coloring, crafts, homework, etc (as well as snacks and breakfast), and then you can do dinner in the dining room.

I would add a window in the master bath near the vanities so you have one that can open without you having to get into the tub. It is also nice to have the natural light for makeup, etc.

Sorry this was so long.

• jamnich314
    10 years ago

I like this plan, a lot.

I think moving the fridge closer to the laundry room and putting either a reach-in or full-cabinet pantry would be great. I don't know where you plan on putting your microwave as it doesn't look like it's above the oven as a microwave/hood but putting it next to the fridge on the garage wall would be a good spot.

I'm not crazy about the layout of the entire master suite but that's just me. I think having a closet closer to the bathroom is a good idea so you don't have to walk across your entire bedroom to get dressed after a shower. I DO like that your closet is long and skinny though. Definitely no wasted space; maximum hanging/shelf area.

I don't know what kind of climate you live in, but you may want to figure a way to put a door from the backyard into your laundry/mud room. Then any dirty/muddy boots or clothes can be in that room instead of being tracked into your breakfast area, then on to your kitchen before going in there. I also think the layout of that laundry/mudroom could be optimized a bit; seems like there is a lot of empty space in there.

As far as the half bath by the living room/study goes, I LOVE IT. I actually think if you could make the large closet smaller and expand the half bath to include a shower stall, you would have a potential first floor bed/bath with your study in case you ever injure yourself or stay in this house until you get old and stairs become quite the task.

One final thing: the back porch/deck. Is that only serving as a small stoop for the sliding doors from your breakfast area? It doesn't look big enough to serve any other purpose. You may be able to squeeze a grill in on the left end but that's it. But, I suppose, if that's all you want it for then you are golden.

• CaptainAwesome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the input everyone! Babies get easier as they get older right? Someone lie to me and shine that light at the end of my tunnel. :)

Some thoughts/responses:
    -We weren't exactly thrilled with the master suite closet placement, but it was the ideal setup to take advantage of all the space without having little "dead" hallway areas
    -Now that I'm looking at it more, the kitchen really does seem to have an obscene amount of counter space. Any suggestions of what to do with the counters/cabinets next to the fridge and away from the mudroom?
    -Right now we have 2 flights of stairs to get from the bedrooms to the laundry in the basement, so we're perfectly happy with the 1st floor laundry setup.
    -Also, we have a dog and live in the Chicago area, so the side exit in the garage was a conscious choice because we have to take our furry friend out relatively often and didn't want the cold air to come into the main living area.
    -Half bath on the main floor was purely a money decision as we're young, naive, and probably can't plan so far ahead for our eventual lack of mobility.

-We plan on putting the TV on the wall adjacent to the fireplace, so we can watch it from the kitchen. However, we haven't thought of a furniture setup quite yet either. Any suggestions to this? I know the view is split 50/50, but I really don't like the TV over fireplace because of it sitting so high up while seated.

Larger pictures if people are interested in them:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/j331j40z5f3pfpq/1st%20Floor.jpg
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/di3xhkslql3dv6o/2nd%20Floor.jpg

• bpath
    10 years ago

Will the shower wall between its door and the toilet be drywall or glass? Because where will you hang your towel?

Also, if the distance between bathroom and closet bothers you (and maybe it's fine, we are okay with ours) could you put the bathroom and closet alongside each other on the right side, scoot the bed and window to the left, and use the former bathroom nook as a reading nook? Or even storage of other "stuff", you know, suitcases, maternity clothes waiting for "next time" (don't worry, you get over the sleeplessness and think let's have another)

No need to lie, sleep returns to all (until they're 18 and don't have curfew).

I like your powder room/front closet arrangement. In our house, the bathroom opens into the study and includes a shower, so it is also used as a guest room (and by the PO after his heart transplant!) but when we have company, they think it's odd they have to walk through like that. I've thought about rearranging it to be like yours, but we have other priorities than moving walls lol like tuition! You thinks BABIES are expensive? Actually, if you put the closet on the opposite wall, you could have another door from the little hall into the study, and if you add a shower, it could be a guest room when needed. In our bathroom, the sink is a pedestal in the same position, the toilet is turned to face the sink, (since it's a pedestal there is plenty of room) and the shower is in the corner. It's not a huge shower, but big enough. And I just don't like dead-end rooms, I like a "flow".

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Congratulations on the new family member. Not sure how old your baby is, but sleep wise mine started sleeping 10hrs at 3 months. Not all do, but it seems several of my mom friends seem to think 3 months is a milestone for things getting easier.

Then it gets hard when they have their growth spurts and start waking up to want to eat again because you've gotten used to sleeping again, but those are much shorter periods.

Now on your plans - overall I like the flow, what I don't care for is:

- sink right in front of door. We have this in one of your baths and it gets annoying. If I had known one sink would have been better. Yours is recessed a bit more in the kids bath so it might be good, but I would move the master one up. Not like you don't have the room to do so.

- I would plan the laundry so that you don't have to walk through the dirty entry part to get to the actual laundry. Never nice to step in a little puddle or something from melted snow on your way to do laundry, or pick up some gravel along the way.

- your master closet is too narrow to have useful walking space. It is hard to read. Says either 5'5" or 6'6" and some of that includes the wall. Hanging space takes up two feet so that is 4' of hanging space and a very narrow isle to access things. With that long room it will not feel comfortable to go very far in.

- What are you planning on doing with all the wasted space with the entry into the master? It is a large entry hallway. I wonder if it would be better to rearrange the master bath and closet to have them closer and not have the wasted space. Looks to me to be about 1/2 a kids bedroom.

- kids bath - if you rearrange the master bath/closet I would steal some space from the current master bath area and move the tub so there is not a toilet in front of it. Maybe tub on one side and toilet and sink on the other. Not having the toilet in front of part of the tub just makes it so much easier giving your kids a bath and you have full access to cleaning the tub without having to lean over the toilet. This also would give you room for a linen closet to put towels etc. in the bath.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I think the question of where to locate the laundry may be based - in part -- on your laundry habits. Personally, I tend to gather a load of laundry while I'm in the bathroom in the morning, then I dry it /put it away in the evenings. I rarely ever do laundry during the day (unless maybe I'm preparing for a vacation). I'd much, much rather have the things close to the bathrooms where the dirty clothes originate and the closets where the clothes'll end up eventually.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Here's just a quick copy and paste to rearrange the master closet and bedroom.

This does give you a hallway, but it also serves as some privacy separation from the other parts of the house. Also the little corner of the backwards L could be used for a little sitting area.

I also moved the windows as I have windows behind my bed and really will not ever do that again and plan on moving those windows.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Lyfia, my kids bath is the same configuration you describe, and it is really nice (if only we had a single sink instead of double) In our old house it was similar to the OP's and it was annoying. You had to reach over both baby and toilet to each the faucet or drain. And, when it's a little wider, you can have a window at the end without it being over the tub.

The kitchen could use a little tweaking, cas is right about the fridge location being inconvenient for almost everything except grabbing a Coke as you go out the door. I do like the counter space against the garage and dining room. Where else would the cookie jar, gecko, dog treats, beta fish from the school carnival, origami projects, etc. live?

• Chadoe3
    10 years ago

I really like what lyfia did with your master closet. However, if you go with your current configuration, you may want to put a laundry chute in there. Then you only have to carry the laundry UP the stairs. Hmmm, better yet, how about a dumb-waiter in the closet, then you can send the laundry down and up!

Just put a child proof latch on it :)

• mommyto4boys
    10 years ago

Congrats on the baby and home. YES, it does get easier & harder ( I now have teenagers...6 boys now...18 months-15 years). I'll hold your baby & you can clean my house ;)

Anyways on to your plans. You are getting a lot of great feedback. I wanted to mimic some of the others on your long, narrow family and kitchen areas. Please make sure you graph it out or use a program to layout furniture. Our last home great room area was so large and open that we really grew to dislike it and built different this time around. Our "carpet" area fort the family room furniture was 24+ feet long and it along with the open eating and kitchen area was rather large & cold for us. I would think that with your set up you would almost be looking at needing two separate sitting areas in your family room area. And that is fine, if that is your plan. Or else a toy area, piano, library or something. Just lay it out and make sure it will work for you.

Same thing with your kitchen...I'm more concerned about the width being too small with your island than the length being too long. You have room for the island, but don't go too wide or make your aisles too narrow...you will live to regret it. I would think the area between your island and perimeter counter (walkway to laundry) you are going to want a minimum of 4 feet. Remember the counters overhang from your 2 foot cabinets.

We are owner builder and have been finishing the house while living in it. So, my kitchen is so not finished. However the perimeter counters & appliances have been in place and used for a year now. We have a table where the eventual island will be. My kitchen is around 17 feet long and 18 feet wide. This includes an island area and not a dining table. So, it is a large kitchen. The kitchen forum here was a tremendous life savor to get it tweaked right. Our home plan started with my dream kitchen and the house was added to it...lol. Anyways I wanted about 8 feet of windows and a large dish hutch. It functions amazingly well. Granted it is a lot of counter and cabinets. I wanted to show you an idea that gets rid of some of the counter on a long perimeter run like ours. The best part is 5 of the 6 boys can reach everything to put all the dishes away on their own (the 18 month old is still off the hook). I'm embarrassed to show you this unfinished; however, wanted to give you an idea. Please excuse the unfinished cabinets, temporary counters, temp sink, trophies on display rather than "pretties, " etc.

• mommyto4boys
    10 years ago

Having a hard time photographing this...trying to give you perspective of 17 feet of perimeter cabinets/counters...

• mommyto4boys
    10 years ago

Oh forgot to add...I for one am on the team that my laundry MUST be on the main floor of the house. Granted we have a larger family. I do not spend time in my bedroom. I am down in the kitchen, office, family rooms all day. I would never get laundry done if it was upstairs. We have a laundry shoot from upstairs directly into the laundry room, so it all makes it's way down just fine. I have 6 hidden sorting, laundry baskets for dirty clothes. Love them!!! Also, we hang anything that can be hung. I have 6 deep drawers in the laundry room.... I fold the boys' clothes (socks, undies, etc) and they put it away. So, it is not a problem for me at all getting it back upstairs.

Also, in the above pictures....window casement missing, the crown on top of the cabinets, some drawers fronts, etc. Someday ;)

Best of luck to,you on your build and with your family.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

For a house of this size, you need a main floor full bath. If you were ever temporarily (or permanently) disabled, you'd like to have a place to bathe. You could turn the study into a bedroom, but you have no place to wash up. (And, for this reason, I don't mind the placement of the half bath. I'd just make sure it was a full one.)

• Kathy Harrington
    10 years ago

I'm probably in the minority here, but I like more bathrooms for the kids. Having had 2 girls and a boy, there was a time that the girls didn't want to share with their brother. I would get rid of the 2 story foyer and reconfigure the bedrooms for a jack & jill bath between two bedrooms and another bath attached to the other bedroom. Enjoy all the life changes, they pass so quickly!

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

I like the house. Agree with some of the above but do not want to be redundant. Most of all...I agree that you need to have a first floor full bath.

I promise you that eventually someone will need to sleep at your house that cannot maneuver stairs. Either a family member or an elderly parent.

Babies do get easier. If they didn't, every child would be an only child!!

I had twins in my forties. I'm still waiting for them to get easier ;-)

Good luck on building your home.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Mommyto4boys-I feel the same. I would never get laundry done if it was upstairs. I want it on the main level and close to the rooms where we spend our time. And I hang anything that can be hung up. Kids seems to keep things neater than in drawers...at least mine do.