Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slowdowntohurryup

Custom Entry Doors

slowdowntohurryup
12 years ago

anyone on here bought a custom entry door - and if so - any good or bad experiences? and what about where you bought it from?

we have seen some online from texascustomdoors.com and customglassdoors.com

looking at a double plank door set..

thx

Comments (9)

• cyngar
    12 years ago

Although I've haven't done so before, I was also considering ordering a custom entry door from this place I found online. They had some good reviews. Homestead Interior Doors. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Homestead Interior Doors

• pps7
    12 years ago

We ordered our door from doors by decora. The whole process went pretty smoothly. It did quite a bit of time for the door to come in so order early!

• sedona_heaven
    12 years ago

Beautiful entry, pps7!

• slowdowntohurryup
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for the info and pic...would you care to share any additional info about it? i stumbled across their website late last night and their work looks pretty good. I guess one of my questions would be a little simple - how does the quality/look/feel compare to what you may find out of the higher end door made by some of the major brands? did you check out any other companies and if so--- why did they stand out to you?

did you have them include the door hardware? i noticed that they preferred that on their website...

sorry for the bombard of questions - but like you mentioned, if this is what we want to do - we have to pull the trigger in the next week or so in order for it to get here in time
    thx

• pps7
    12 years ago

We used our own hardware(emtek). Our door is mahogany, we ordered unstained so that we could match the stain with our beams and garage doors. Also, we wanted to use sikkens cetol. I just liked that particular door. We did get an estimate from Jeld wen, but it was much higher and it wasnt even mahagony.

• ThomasLPDNO
    11 years ago

You've probably already changed your doors out, but if you encounter the issue again, you don't always have to buy a new (expensive) door to get something beautiful. I had these custom beveled glass panels ( http://discountdoorinserts.com/PAGES/beveled_glass_doors_ritz.html )put into my existing entry doors and they look brand new and absolutely beautiful. The biggest plus for me was the price, since I was remodeling my whole kitchen as well. Anyhow, something to think about it the future! Hope you ended up with doors that you love!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://discountdoorinserts.com

• millworkman
    11 years ago

In the words of Monty Python!!!!

• DrGrower
    10 years ago

First of all, buying something as expensive to ship as doors from anyone other than a local company is a really bad idea. Shame on me. The doors showed up damaged and the door company and the freight company pointed the finger at each other and left me screwed.

The doors that did make it intact were garbage. Even the "high end" ones. The poplar doors delaminated (crappy Chinese plywood anyone ?) after aplication of OIL BASED primer. When I called they told me, " You should have told us you were going to paint them. We would have used a different adhesive." Who doesn' paint poplar doors?

Now I have all this labor invested in the surviving doors. When I asked for my money back, they offered me $100 on a $3000 order. They then sent me a legal agreement: double spaced lawyereese. Think they have been through this before.

The mission oak doors were disappointing as well. They are assembled with screws, and rather than veneer over the plugs, they are visible.

Do yourself a favor. Stay away from Homestead Doors

• momto3kiddos
    10 years ago

We used dsa mastercraft doors, and have been very pleased with the price and the quality. They are in NC.