Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorriew_gw

Different Hardi Plank siding sizes..

lorriew
14 years ago

We are planning to put HardiPlank on our new house. We are not sure about the width we want to use. Could anyone that has it please post the different sizes 5,6 & 7 so I have a better idea. I searched because I figured this has come up before but didn't find anything. Thanks!

Comments (12)

• lsst
    14 years ago

If you mean the reveal, ours is 7 1/4.
    The original width was 8 and we have a 3/4 overlap per board.

• stayn2busy
    14 years ago

Our Hardieplank reveal is 6 1/2in. I've posted a couple pics in the "February's How's your build progressing". Ours came primed yellow and we will be painting it with a "lifetime" paint (for what that's worth...lol!!)We used MiraTEC for trim.

• macv
    14 years ago

The size of HardiPlank lap siding is given in "widths" of the individual pieces and the "exposure" (the visible part) is 1 1/4" smaller.

In the northeast, a maximum width 8 1/4" HardiPlank has an exposure of 7" and there are three smaller sizes each an inch less in width and exposure. The choice would be between 4", 5", 6", and 7" exposures. In the rest of the country there are two larger exposures: 8" and 10 1/4"

In New England traditional wood clapboard siding has a 4" exposure and the larger exposures are more commonly used in less traditional houses or in milder climates to the south and west.

Not knowing where you live or the style of your house makes it difficult to advise you.

A "reveal" is a much smaller setback usually at trim board corners.

• lorriew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I am sorry I wasn't very clear, I was working on getting a nasty migraine :(. I was looking for the exposure size. I was looking for some different pictures of how the they actually look on a house. Most of the older threads I found the photobuckets were inactive. We are building a Craftsman style home Castle Rock by Frank Betz. My husband, my builder, was thinking about going with the 7" exposure but the house is a bit cut up so I was thinking about going with 5 or 6 with the actual reveal. I prefer a bit of a thinner look. I am in the Northeast in Md btw. Thanks all!!

• srercrcr
    14 years ago

Here's my 7" exposure.....

Here is a link that might be useful:

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

Builders tend to like the larger sizes since it lets them put up the necessary coverage with less labor.

The smaller sizes, however, are more historically accurate, plus their smaller visual scale often results in a better aethestic.

In my opinion, I'd never go larger than 6" and feel smaller is usually better.

Good luck on your project.

• tsweigart
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I agree, it'd be helpful for the website to label the product used in their pictures. What did you end up deciding on? I am looking for the same thing-pictures of the different widths.

• PRO
    aggtmg
    5 years ago

I agree the website doesn’t label the sizes and it would be so helpful does anyone have any updates or pics to share?

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

The "best" size of exposure or "weather" for lap siding, or similar exterior siding, will vary with the architectural style of the house. It's about scale and proportion of the house, as well as historical precedent.

That said, anything larger than 6-inches is often too large and out of scale.

It's common for builders to use larger than 6-inch weather simply because it's quicker and easier for them.

Do you have an architect or designer to consult?

• Rick Eisenberg
    4 years ago

Is there a way to achieve an alternating exposure of 3”-6” with fiber cement siding? I have seen it done but was unaware this type of siding came in narrow enough widths to achieve this look. Also looking for a product that is thick enough that the corners can be mitered . Any suggestions how this can be done with fiber cement lap or gap siding?

• RES, architect
    4 years ago

We don't know how true to the original style your Craftsman will be but the original California versions used natural materials and were usually clad with shingles.

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company