Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m_n_a

small backyard play area ideas needed

M_N_A
10 years ago

Our backyard is rather small, about 80' wide and 20' deep
in the center 35' or so we play to have patio for outdoor dining and entertaining, on the one side about 30' we plan to have some plant.

And on the other side about 15' x 20', right outside of the kitchen window, we plan to make it a small play area for our toddler.

What would be a good idea
- play structure. but they're usually much bigger. is there some compact ones?
- sand box. our girl loves sand but someone just said that cats and animals might come and do some business. yikes. plus, sands always gets everywhere, even our car is full of sand despite all shaking and patting
- trampoline. how long would kids love it?

and what kind of surface would be kid and wallet friendly and low maintenance? mulch, shredded rubber, artificial grass, grass...?

thanks for your suggestions

Comments (13)

• sheloveslayouts
    10 years ago

Our backyard is about the same size as yours.

When our daughter was two we bought a Spring Free trampoline and it has been one of our best parenting purchases to date! My husband loves jumping more than my daughter, if that answers the age question :-)

The Springfree trampoline is safe and compact, and has been a great way for her to get her wiggles out in our small backyard over the past three years. She loves to play with a few playground type balls in there or we also zip her in there with her sidewalk chalk. So fun! they have add-ons like a basketball hoop that we're considering. Another benefit is that we have a dog and there's no concern of her accidentally stepping in mess if she's in the trampoline.

I advise against anykind of sandbox for the cat and tracking problems they pose. My daughter is happiest just digging in the dirt.

We have a few friends with wooden play structures (rainbow, costco, etc.) and I personally think they're overrated; the wood requires maintenance and my kiddo will only use the swings so far. Also note, that a six foot fall zone is recommended around the perimeter of play sets, so that doesn't leave you with enough room.

When she was two we bought a little plastic swing/ 3ft slide combo set on craigslist and that was really great fun for her until she outgrew it and the swing's nylon straps wore out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring Free Trampolines

• M_N_A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks benjesbride!
    for trampolines, do you need to cover it for rain, leaves and debris? I didn't quit get it how you play sidewalk chalk in the trampoline :P
    also is it set on hard surface?

• sheloveslayouts
    10 years ago

absolutely don't need to cover it, though they may sell a cover. The display we tried out was many years old in the portland rain and looked new.

We don't have any trees near the trampoline, so leaves are not a problem, but I'm sure it's easy enough to sweep it out. Pine needles would be trickier since they might get stuck in the mesh?

She draws on the black trampoline/bouncy part with chalk as one would on a sidewalk. It's comfy to sit and lie on while drawing and it wears and washes off in the weather no problem. I'm a bit sentimental as she started learning to write the alphabet on our trampoline One other thing to note is that the area under the trampoline makes a great "fort."

We have ours on grass. It's a little tricky to move - we have the "squircle", but they do sell a cart that allows one person to move the trampoline and that's on our "to buy" list this summer.

Springfrees are definitely an investment. Not cheap. But in the time span three years we've had ours, my brother has bought 2 typical trampolines on sale and they don't last and just aren't safe. I discourage folks from getting typical trampolines - too many injuries - but I enthusiastically recommend these. You're family will love it.

• jdez
    10 years ago

I've seen covered sand boxes on the internet somewhere when my kid was a toddler. I don't remember the website but it might be a solution for the cats.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I spent many happy hours of my childhood on a swing...

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Check with your homeowners insurance to see if they cover trampolines.Many will not.

Swings are the best. Our sons (age 19) are still mad that I got rid of their swing set.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

While play sets are great, they are expensive and do take up space . . . And you can always take your kids to a playground. You can't take them to a sandbox (well, unless you live near the beach), nor can you take them to a trampoline.

My kids had a single swing on a tree branch, and it was heavily used for YEARS. They also had a Little Tikes slide. They didn't use it for years, but they did use it intensely around 1.5-2.5 years. Literally, they'd slide, the run around to slide again . . . Maybe 50 times in a row. Somehow it was a big confidence builder. Lots of playtime for something that cost $2 at a yard sale . . . And then went to younger nieces and nephews.

Ditto for the sandbox. My kids used it, used it, used it. You can get one with a lid. When I have grandchildren, I think I'll build a really big, really fine sandbox. My kids did love it so. I don't remember sand in the house being an issue, but we didn't keep the sandbox particularly near the back door, so the sand had space to fall off.

When our kids were in elementary school, my husband bought a trampoline, which he said had been his favorite toy growing up. No other toy was used as much for as many years as that trampoline. They jumped on it every single day, they'd lay on it and read. They even slept out on it a couple times. We did make strict rules about shoes and multiple jumpers. And we didn't allow them to bring the dog up (for fear her claws would cut the material and/or the dog would break her legs jumping off). You do need some kind of a step to help the kids access the trampoline, and I'd recommend a safety net.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Swings are always good. Girls that age tend to like to mimic their mothers. Maybe get things that she can use to be the mother to a doll, i.e.: a swing for a doll, a stroller for a doll, an outdoor kitchen so she can make lunch and a picnic for her doll, that sort of thingâ¦a little picnic table.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Funny, I've seen lots of trampolines in neighborhoods I drive around in, and I've never once seen any of them in use. I have however seen them with for sale signs in the front yard....some that say "free".

My swing was a disc that had a rope through the middle of it tied to a tree bough...didn't take up a lot of space at all, and I loved being under that old maple tree.

• nostalgicfarm
    10 years ago

We bought our kids a very nice trampoline when they were 5,3, and 1. It was the best money we have spent! Yes, you can use sidewalk chalk in there. Also, we usually had some of those bouncy balls in there! Water balloons are lots of fun in the trampoline also! My kids practiced summersaults in there. My oldest also would just lay and daydream. Some of them can come with activities that go on the outside too. I think the trampolines that people have for free are the ones without a good net and with exposed springs. It is hard to sell those because you can buy them brand new for $150 and the springs get worn out fast because they are so exposed to the elements. We put our trampoline away for the winter to help preserve it, but a lot of the $150 tramps stay out all winter, and snow is hard on them.
    My kids LOVE our sandbox. Yes, I read the neighbor cat thing, but haven't had a problem. I remember reading to add vinegar or something like that to detract cats. I think if you invested in a nice trampoline and an one of those "deck storage boxes for extra outdoor toys/chalk you would have a nice play space :)

• NashvilleBuild42
    10 years ago

We have monkey bars, gymnastic rings, a tire swing on a tree and a trampoline sunk into the ground. I'll be repeating all options at our new house -- only raising the monkey bars and rings a bit higher. Great space for me to do some chinups, pullups and dips :)

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

We have a Rainbow play set, and I would say the regular swings, Pogo swing (Google it) and tire swing have seen the most use on the climber. Think of shade too when designing the play area or some sort of way to mist the area as kids have most time in the summer to use it. We also have a sandbox that was popular with the boys until they reached age 6 or so. We made a cover that had wood around the perimeter and wire mesh in the centre. That way the sandbox can air out, but the lids keeps cats away. Now that the kids are all 7 + they like their zip line ride the best. We don't have a trampoline, but I sure like the idea posted above about having one in the ground -- so much safer. I would want those mesh walls if we had a trampoline, unless it was buried as suggested.

Carol

• frozenelves
    10 years ago

I had a trampoline most of my life. As a kid, our whole neiborhood used it and I got the best exercise jumping on that thing for hours. My kids have had one now for the last 16 years. We are on our 2nd one with the kids. We take the net and springs down every winter. Ours has exposed springs and no net. In the entire 40 years and I couldn't even begin to count how many kids, there has been one injury and it wasn't because of the trampoline itself. Have rules and enforce them. Riding a bike can cause injury as well. Our trampoline is the favorite of all things we've ever had including sandboxes, Rainbow play systems, tree swings, etc.