Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimless07

1. Frustrated, 2. Online vs Local buying of fixtures

Aims
9 years ago

I have had a pretty rough time with picking items from an appliance and lighting showroom.

We are now on our 3rd sales consultant. The first one was great. She was very experienced but led us down a path of more expensive fixtures. When we switched builders, we switched consultants. We switched to consultant #2 and he was also good. Very experienced and was helping us find things we liked and could afford. A couple of months ago consultant #2 was promoted so we were passed onto consultant #3. We are unimpressed with her. Essentially, she is new and doesn't know how to do her job yet so she is overwhelmed.

I emailed her multiple times to set up an appointment with her and she never responded. When our builder went by to get the measurements of our appliances last week he asked her why she hadn't contacted me. And then miraculously, she emailed me back to set up an appt. I have to admit, I wasn't super polite with her after she finally acknowledged my existence. I don't find it professional to not get back with your clients.

So we finally went in and met with her on Saturday. She did not apologize for not responding to me for 3 weeks and she wasn't prepared either. We thought we were coming into finalize all the things we had picked a few months ago and get that order placed. We knew our kitchen appliances were already in. It turns out most of the other things that we picked out several months ago were also ordered and came in. She didn't know that, so we re-confirmed everything and picked out a couple more fixtures not knowing that many of these fixtures were already in. I also found a good price on our kitchen sink online so I ordered it. Turns out that sink was also ordered and in. She didn't know that either. It is now on a truck to my house and I have to send it back. Why would she not have all that information ready when we set up this appt days before?

So we pretty much went up there for about 3 hours and re-confirm many items that were already ordered and in. Waste of my time.

2. Builder and I have had some disagreements on where to buy some of the things for the house. I am all about buying online. Between ebates, online coupons, and not paying taxes if it's something ordered out of state, I have saved several hundred dollars.

He is concerned that if you buy things online and they break, it will be a hassle to receive help and get broken things replaced of fixed.

He begrudgingly said that if there were things that didn't have moving parts or electricity that it could be bought online. So I bought towel racks, TP holders, pedestal sinks, etc. ?

What do you think about buying online versus buying local?

Comments (6)

• jammu2
    9 years ago

I'm no expert but just from my experience the past two years (isn't this whole process exhausting?) it seems some builders are adapting.

Just a quote from my builder who, all in all, is a decent person trying to do a good job:

"Oh lights, yeah you may as well order them yourself. It's probably the easiest thing..."

We deliberately kept the appliances out of the contract. He offered to have his person bid them and I said OK but don't spend a whole lot of time on it etc etc. His prices were way more than we could get.

Plumbing evidently is a bit different. They need to rough it in early and sometimes stuff isn't available then when the client goes to place the order. I found the showroom basically matched online prices for me for the exact same items.

I bought the sink too! That didn't seem to be a problem.

I think it depends on the builder but I think some people in the industry are adjusting to the fact that clients are not so blind anymore. We know what things cost. The showrooms have to compete.

Best of luck!

• shouldibuild
    9 years ago

We are just in the bidding stage and while I have not checked every plumbing and lighting selection, I have found my builder's prices through the local showroom to be better than the online prices. There were a couple of items that were cheaper online but not by much.

The one item with a large ($300) price difference was the Rinnai tankless hot water heater. I have not asked the sales rep about that yet. I have just put it in the budget and her price and will deal with it later when it is time to order.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

I don't get how these items were purchased by the vendor for you without your approval? Have you voiced your concerns to your GC, he should be on top of his vendors I would think?

• Vanessafox
    9 years ago

My builder was apprehensive of my buying online at first.

But my experience has been that the fancy showroom places have limited selection, orders take forever, and when things are wrong, customer service is terrible and replacements also take forever. (Not across the board, but a lot of the time.)

Nearly everything I've bought online has come substantially quicker and customer service and returns have been great and quick when I've needed them. This obviously isn't true for all online outlets. You have to check them out to be sure. (I use established sites like Amazon, Overstock, lampsplusopenbox, etc.)

Anyway, my builder has totally come around and now things ordering online is often better. Several times, he's inquired a local place he normally uses to find that something would take 10 weeks and I can get it online (seriously) within 3 days.

The other thing I've found is that when he orders things, he's the one following up (or not) when things are late and he knows exactly what's been ordered (but I might not). When I order things, I have more control and know exactly what's going on.

I always run everything by him so I don't end up ordering, say, plumbing trim that doesn't fit the rough plumbing or whatever.

But it definitely turns out his fears at buying online were unfounded.

• LE
    9 years ago

We had all these questions when we started, too. Ended up buying lighting locally (ourselves, via lighting consultant. We paid her hourly rate for advice, but got her substantial discount,which was better than online prices.) Made a spreadsheet for plumbing fixtures, GC sent it to the place he uses, so we compared online prices to what they offered him at his discount. Some were higher, some lower, but the total was about the same, so we ordered through his place.

The weirdest thing was the electrical. Once again, we had a detailed spreadsheet, complete with part numbers. The distributer didn't have everything we wanted so they felt free to make substitutions as they saw fit. Black and shiny for black matte, a dimmer that "kinda" works with the LEDs, but not the one recommended by the manufacturer, that kind of nonsense. We're still working on getting that all traded out. Ironically, it was the one aspect that we thought would be the most straightforward...

Our house isn't finished, but we have one pump and one fan and one heater that are not quite working right. Fortunately, those are not things we bought on our own, so the subs are on the hook for replacing them. If we'd bought them, we'd be replacing them, dealing with the supplier, and paying the labor for the replacement.

• gabbythecat
    9 years ago

We bought online for about half the stuff in our new house. Lighting fixtures, furniture for the bathrooms, specialty tiles for the shower. Only had *one* instance of damage - the mirrored medicine cabinet arrived cracked. I took a picture of the crack, with a ruler next to the crack to show the size. I emailed the picture to the vendor, they told me to get the piece repaired at a local glass company and they would pay for the work. Very easy.

The upside of going online is that we got some gorgeous and very unique furnishings for our new house - stuff we would never find locally. We compared prices and pieces from the comfort of our home, probably saved some money. In fact, FedEx just delivered a gorgeous bench for our bathroom - dh found it on Ebay. Very unique and a good price.