Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris11895

Best Alternative for Cedar Shake Roof Look? AnnieDeighnaugh?

chris11895
11 years ago

Hi,
We had hoped for a cedar shake roof but alas, the quotes have been more than triple architectural asphalt shingles. So I'm wondering if anyone here has strived for that look and found a brand and color that offered a nice alternative?
I also stumbled across AnnieDeighnaugh's exterior shots and do like the roofing she did. So Annie, if you see this, can you let me know what you used?

Thanks in advance!!
Christine

Comments (15)

• wishiwasinoz
    11 years ago

Here's another:

Here is a link that might be useful: Madeira 900

• chris11895
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks - I'm checking out the site now. Do you know the approximate cost per sq/ft?

• wishiwasinoz
    11 years ago

I can pull up the details later, but I want to say the roof (installed w/everything) is $55k. It is a fairly large roof according to the architect & GC.

• wishiwasinoz
    11 years ago

It also has a 50 year warranty!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

We used GAF Camelot in Aged Oak. It's a 50 year roof...we wanted a roof that outlasted our solar panels...the last thing you want to have to do is take the panels off, re roof and then have to remount them...I figure in 50 years time we'll either be dead or the technology will have so changed that we'll be replacing them anyway...

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 8:39

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Hmm, let me know what you end up deciding, will you? We have a shake roof here in CT and really did not consider alternatives. For the beachhouse, I think I might have to give in to the best choice from a maintenance perspective. Are these other products longer lasting?

Btw, I assume you are using white cedar shake siding, Chris? Any insights there.

PS The architects we met with all said that Andersen windows held up better in the environment than Marvin, which greatly surprised me. In our primary house no one ever mentioned anything BUT Marvin, which I thought was the non plus ultra among mass market brands. One architect said they had even used vinyl windows for the salt air? This was on a 2mn plus project ...

• bridget helm
    11 years ago

certainteed has a line called "luxury" that has several shake look alikes to choose from. i think they look great. a little description from their website:

"Presidential Shake TL Shingles - Color: Weathered Wood
    The luxury shingles with the look of cedar shakes and the performace of one of the finest composition roofing solutions in the industry. Presidential Shake TL gives your home the distinct look of a hand-split wood shake roof with the durability and performance that leaves wood in the sawdust. You get sculpted edges, staggered lines, and triple layer depth, for an amazing ground level effect that will last and last."

heres the link:

http://www.certainteed.com/products/roofing/residential/luxury

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

fyi,

I just came across this discussion while i was searching for images of ceadr shake house.

Good article, plus a link to a product Bob Vila endorses.

Here is a link that might be useful: cedar shake roofs and alternatives

• chris11895
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'm looking into those options.

Mtn, yes we're doing white cedar siding. Interesting on the windows; I also prefer Marvin. A lot of waterfront homes around here do Marvin Ultimate Clad - clad on the exterior and wood on the interior. I find the clad finish of Marvin to be nicer than Andersen.

I do also see Andersen on the water here (N. Shore of Mass) and on Cape Cod, but Marvin a little more.

• WhartonFamily
    11 years ago

Hi Christine,
    We live in the North Shore, IL area and we decided to renovate our house last year and went with a synthetic cedar shake. We liked the synthetic because it was actually easier on our budget and it still provides all the benefits of the real cedar shake. We loved the color and the our install was pretty quick. I am not sure what other brands are out there but we decided to go with a local company out by us. Good luck on your search!

Here is a link that might be useful: A link to Synthetic Slate and Shake Images and Info

• armada
    10 years ago

Hey all, I'm considering the GAF camelot and wondering what the competing/aligning product from Certainteed would be? My contractor has allowed for "30yr architectural 3 tab" shingles in my budget, and says they usually use Certainteed (but not sure which line).

I like the GAF Camelot better than most of what i've seen from Certainteed, but maybe i'm not looking at the right level of shingle to compare.

Thanks!

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

You aren't looking at apples to apples. A 3 tab shingle is exactly that--3 tabs. It is the least expensive roof out there. You'll be looking at a huge upgrade to Camelot or Certainteed "luxury" lines...

• armada
    10 years ago

THanks for the reply. I realize it's an upgrade for Camelot. but my understanding is "architectural 3 tab" is an upgrade from "3 tab", I'm thinking the Timberline HD is more along the lines of what's been budgeted?

• millworkman
    10 years ago

No this would be what you have budgeted in a GAF equivalent. A 30 Yr Architectural 3-Tab is just that 1 30 yr 3-Tab shingle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marquis Weathermax