Houzz Logo Print
dreambuilder_gw

Favorite Products/Brands

dreambuilder
11 years ago

So far I have seen the following as favorites on this site:

Toilets--Toto brand
Tubs--Sanijet
Sinks--Silgranit seems to be a favorite on kitchens thread?
can lights--ICAT (insulated)
hardcast mastic tape #1402 for sealing duct work
Bath fans--panasonic whisper quiet fans

Looking for a comprehensive list of things that WORK and brands that are worth the money--please share your collective favorites on Plumbing Fixtures (kitchen/bath/shower head/outside faucets), Cabinets, Carpet, Air Conditioner, water filtration, air filtration, radon mitigation, sump pump, Furnace, Hot Water Heater, Garage Door Opener, Windows, Ceiling Fans, Fridge, Washer/Dryer, Ovens, Microwaves, Cooktops, Dishwasher, Freezer, etc....

I have 7 pages of notes I have taken off the site and I'm still trying to gather the "ultimate favorites" that seem to deliver time and time again. Thanks for your help!

Comments (8)

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

well you got me on the
    ICATS
    1402 mastic tape
    and bath fan prefrence.
    (remember to use the mastic tape
    to attach back draft damper & seal
    hole in sheetrock around bath fan)

for filters for hvac..media filters
    4" is most common & less expensive than 5"
    special return filter racks are used,
    which is best for new construction.

hvac brands..not as important as install IMO.
    keep in mind if you want trane to check with
    american standard company also.
    all major hvac brands have 'sister' company.
    same on inside different labels on outside.

windows use info on nfrc label. just google
    nfrc label & read the explanation of the numbers
    you use to shop windows.
    solar heat gain coefficients (shgc) & u-factors
    should be .30 or less.
    read thru nfrc site. this is an independent company
    that certifies & tests most brands.
    if you shop a company that doesn't have this label..
    leave & shop with those who do.

don't know much about carpets, ceiling fans
    etc..just not my focus.
    post over in hvac forum for info on units.
    folks like ryann, bald loonie & tigerdunes
    have good info.

best of luck..

• sweet.reverie
    11 years ago

So much depends on budget. Something I like, another would never consider if they have a funds to get something much nicer.

• dreambuilder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sweet.reverie I understand your thinking but if you are willing to share what you found in your research that would be helpful---even if I can't afford a toto toilet--if I see that 40 people think they are worth it, I might adjust my budget to include a toto toilet and skimp elsewhere. Just trying to gather info so that I can make an informed decision based on others experiences.

• lethargo
    11 years ago

We have put a lot of different carpets in, between our home and our rental. I adore, and we get many compliments on, our SmartStrand carpet. It is by FAR the softest. Spills come right up. We have a longer, almost shag, style. We've had two different shades of brown, and both look great! I was worried about how it would wear, especially high traffic areas like the stairs. It has held up substantially better than our low budget carpet in the basement ( we used cheapo stuff down there in case of flood, etc). The stairs to the basement are looking really ragged after less than a year after installation. The upstairs stairs looks likeit did when it was installed a year and a half ago!

We've had better luck with Moen bath fixtures and sink fixtures. We've found that it's best not to use the cheapest fixtures! Don't want to mess with water mess in the house!

We moved and purchased a new washer/ dryer through the plant manager (deeply discounted), and picked out the kind with steam in the dryer... not very impressive to me.

We also got all new kitchen appliances. We are fans of the french door, freezer on bottom fridge style. Advice: take a cup and try placing them under the water dispenser. Ours is so small you can't tell when the cup is full. Our microwave is awesome because it has a small oven drawer at the bottom. !!!! Awesome!!!! Making chicken nuggets, biscuits, pizzas, tortillas. Comes to temp almost instantly and it's tiny, so I don't feel like I'm wasting energy heating the whole oven for 8 chicken nuggets.

• andry
    11 years ago

Letargo - what brand of microwave is that?

I have and love the toto toilets. I didn't find the cost prohibitive - we went with a basic model. I got the sanigloss (or whatever its called) option and would NOT pay for that upgrade again - don't see any difference.

• Charret
    11 years ago

Lethargo, that does sound like a great option on your microwave. Can you share the make and model with us?

• sixkeys
    10 years ago

Hi dreambuilder - did you get a Sanijet? I am looking for some current reviews of the strength of the jets and the noise. Thanks!

• dreambuilder
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I unfortunately did not get a sanijet but still hope to when we remodel. We were going to build and then did not but our master bath is in desperate need of a remodel. That said, Sanijet did contact me several times to see if I needed more information as I had called and talked to them when I thought that was the route we were going. If I get one, I will share my thoughts!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler