Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimless07

Painting the ceiling the same color as the walls

Aims
9 years ago

What are you doing? Our painting allowance would let us have one color to paint on the walls and ceiling. We aren't doing a house where every room is being painted a different color as that is just not in our budget.

I personally think that is kind of weird to have them all the same. I would like the ceiling to be some shade of white and the walls a different color because I think it would show the high ceilings. Hubby is kind of feeling the same. Our old house was all painted the same color and it was a builder's spec home. A few years later when I started to paint the walls house, I liked the way the house looked much better. It didn't feel like a spec house anymore.

I know Sherwin Williams makes a ceiling bright white color? I'm open to other colors. For wall colors I am gravitating towards greige colors. For the mouldings, cabinets, and trim we are considering Alabaster, Dover White, and Extra White. I don't really know how to do whites in terms of trim/crown versus white ceilings.

This can be done, but I know there are fees associated every time they change the paint color.

Comments (5)

• mrsb1227
    9 years ago

My walls and ceiling are the same color. I would have preferred white ceilings but needed to reign in the budget. The house is completely painted and I really like how it looks. The crown molding really stands out which I like. My home is painted a light gray (Benjamin Moore Stonington gray).

• cefoster
    9 years ago

We were allowed 2 colors... but that is 2 on the walls. Usually it is one color meaning for the walls and then the ceilings would naturally be painted white (at least for my area). Check and make sure....I bet it is one color for walls and the ceiling will be white. If not, definitely go with a neutral if it is indeed one color. Also, ask how much for the ceilings to be painted white. Good luck!!

• zippity1
    9 years ago

were were allowed 2 colors in addition to the ceiling and white trim
    however
    we chose sw window pane and antique white
    windowpane on all ceilings then white trim/molding
    antique white walls in the main body of the house -- gr, kitchen,entry, guest grooms and downstairs bath and windowpane in master bedroom, masterbath and upstairs bath
    of course we're very pleased with the results
    we had windowpane ceilings in a previous home and were pleased with those also...

• pookapie
    9 years ago

Sounds like you're set on white ceilings, but I hope that's not because you view them as just a builder-grade option. Many high end homes are done with same color on walls and ceilings, especially those with vaults,and it's done intentionally for effect. We modeled many things in our new build after the home in this link:

http://www.houzz.com/woodinville-retreat

This is great use of the same color on walls and ceilings, including in bedrooms. It can have a very cozy effect. In my opinion, unless you have a special architectural feature on the ceiling (tongue & groove, coffered, tray, etc.) it's not necessary to "highlight" the ceiling with the trim color. Just my two cents. Good luck!

• Aims
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not totally set on doing the white ceilings because it will add another cost in.

I also was concerned because we have front and back porches so our windows won't have a lot of direct light. I guess I was kind of thinking that doing a lighter ceiling might make things feel a little brighter.