Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burbmomoftwo_gw

4 Car Garage - How Many Doors?

burbmomoftwo_gw
9 years ago

Looking at a plan (attached) that has a 4 car garage. 3 Car and then a separate Single Car Carriage Garage.

Any thoughts if the 3 Car should be 3 individual doors vs a 2 Car Door and a 1 Car Door? Pros/Cons ?

Comments (14)

• lolauren
    9 years ago

I would do two and one. I don't like pulling into singles with a large vehicle, and it gives more flexibility.

As drawn, I'm not sure what you would fit in the single stall in the large garage -- there wouldn't be much room to walk around a vehicle on the door/house side, right?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I don't think the 3-car garage is wide enough for three cars I think you will be squeezing out the doors and banging the doors of one car into the others.

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

i think there is plenty of room for 3 cars.

• worthy
    9 years ago

The intrusions of the laundry and the exterior wall render the multiple-car space too tight for three full-size vehicles. You can easily reduce the oversized laundry, straighten out the exterior garage wall and consider moving the steps to the interior of the home. Double-size doors make it easier to move vehicles in and out. However, their greater weight--other than for basic steel doors--puts strain on the opener mechanism and makes it very difficult to lift the doors manually if you lose hydro.

This post was edited by worthy on Sun, Jan 4, 15 at 9:39

• burbmomoftwo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does anyone have dimensions of their garages as compared to this plan?

My garage is only 3 car, but is 21'9" deep (22'1" on this plan) and 31'9" wide (31'2" on this plan). My 'single' car part is about 12'6" wide and 21'9" deep, so even smaller than the single car garage in the plan.

I'd wish for a bit deeper for extra storage room in front of the garage (shelves, a fridge, etc.).

• worthy
    9 years ago

Here are the dimensions for a recent two-car build: 18'6"x21'4.5".

Your depth is fine. However, once you account for the intrusions, the effective width is only approximately 27'2". And that's giving you no space between the bottom of the stairs and any vehicle parked there. And assumes your structural plan is free of columns or interior supporting wall.

Of course, if you've got a couple of Smart cars and a mini-mini van, you're in clover.

• lolauren
    9 years ago

I have a three car garage with two doors almost similar in size. I agree with what Worthy is telling you --- from real world experience; the bump outs are the problem. The part of the wall where the laundry room is that bumps out will leave no room to walk around or open a car door. The same is true for the bump out on the opposite end of the garage (where the windows are.) So, do you actually want to fit three cars in there? If so, you need to eliminate the bump outs or make the garage longer.

• burbmomoftwo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In simple terms, I have a 9' wide single car garage and a 16' wide double car garage in this plan example.

- How much space to put between the doors? (2' ?)
    - How much space on 'outsides' - door to home (laundry) and door to 'outside' of garage? (2' each ?)

2 + 9 + 2 + 16 + 2 = 31 wide which is current plan.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

2 + 9 + 2 + 16 + 2 = 31 wide which is current plan.

This would be true if the 31' is being measured from the laundry room bumpout to the bump in for the window. If the 31' measurement is from the door into the house all the way through the garage to the outer bump out, it will not be true. My not really accurate method of holding up a piece of paper to the computer shows the measurement as being the latter.

• peytonroad
    9 years ago

I believe you can stagger the cars so that one sits deeper than another and not have a problem. but trash cans passing thru might be a problem. where will they be stored? Usally they are about 3 feet or less boxy.

I think that closet in the "mudroom" needs tweaked as the whole laundry area. YOu are losing so much space with the garage door entry into the home as is. I don't believe you will get much dirt blowing into the home as the entryway on a right angle from car garage door. You have three closets there!

• peytonroad
    9 years ago

ps, unless personal preference, I think the vanity and toilet should be turned clockwise a turn with the sink on the back wall and the toilet to the right of it. Put the door opening on the left with a left hand swing into the sink. That way you see a pretty vanity versus a plan wall. Just my opinion!

• snookers1999
    9 years ago

We are currently building a house and we have a 3 car garage. it's similar to yours, but I don't have my laundry room bumping into my garage.

We used 3 separate garage doors, but they are all 10' wide (8' tall). We have already used our garage for pulling our vehicles into during this winter and I can't imagine having our single garage doors less than 10' as it would be harder to back out of if you are reversing out of the garage. I love the look of the 3 single doors, but in my mind, they definitely have to be oversized for better accessibility. If 10' doors won't fit into your plan, I would do a double door instead. Also, our garage is 38' long which allows all the doors of our vehicles to open completely without hitting the next vehicle. We decided that 38' was good for us after we actually went out and measured our vehicles across with their doors opened. I would suggest you do the same. FYI, we have a large F-150, a Dodge Grand Caravan, and eventually, a Ford Explorer.

Here's our garage floor plan:

{{gwi:2133500}}

Here is our garage from the exterior, excuse the mess.

{{gwi:2132821}}

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

Our new build garage measures. 31'4" x 21'8". This is not really considered a 3 car garage. It is a 2 car garage and the 3rd bay is for storage.