Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burbmomoftwo_gw

Upgrade Costs - Ceiling Heights

burbmomoftwo_gw
9 years ago

I know costs vary around the country, and see that in variety of items here on GW.

Talked to a builder about a 2 Story with a walkout basement. Home is approx 2800 1st Floor, 1400 2nd Floor with 'full' walkout basement. Upgrade costs:

1st Floor - 9' to 10' - $7000, but includes upgrade to 8' Doors
2nd Floor - 8' to 9' - $5000
Basement - 9' to 10' - $16000

1st and 2nd Floor seem reasonable, but was blow away by the extra costs of a 10' foundation. Do we need it ? No, but it really looks cool finished :)

Just wondering what others think of this pricing - Midwest build here.

Comments (6)

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

We were quoted about $7000. For 9 ft ceilings for just the greatroom area bedrooms at 8 ft. Midwest also. That part sounds reasonable. Can't comment on the others.

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

The cost for the foundation is a strong function of local demand and availability of the taller forms. If your local concrete guys don't have the tall forms then making a higher wall is problematic and expensive. 10-15 years ago in our area a basement taller than 8 ft was a rarity, and going higher was an extravagance, involving custom site-built forms. Now 9-10 ft is pretty standard and all the concrete guys are set up to do it so the cost difference is minimal, just a few more yards of concrete and a little more digging. You may want to get estimates from a couple different concrete subs.

• david_cary
    9 years ago

Our builder who was cost plus quoted around $1000 per foot on a 2000 sqft foundation. Some variability of course and brick adds perhaps another $1000 compared to a sided house.

That did not include the door cost but when I looked, it was about $1000 to do the doors (to 8 ft on main level) and that was only because of 5 glass doors (2 external).

Of course, YMMV. But I just wanted to throw out what the true cost was (2009 - lumber definitely cheaper than now).

FF to 2012 and we put 10 ft ceilings downstairs on a 1000 sqft base. It was about $2k but that house was on pilings which upped the labor a lot for framing. Vinyl siding which was pennies. Upgrading the windows and doors was about another $1k.

When you are talking ceiling height changes, you need to consider windows too. Not a huge dollar amount but neither are interior doors.

For siding and insulation, it is just a percentage. So add roughly 10% for foot. Obviously foam insulation - more, up north - more, brick or stone - more.

And then HVAC. If you have to upsize your a/c, there is some cost to that. Heating - not usually since furnaces are so often built with so much excess capacity. (so are a/c but I digress)...

Main house 10 ft basement, 11 ft main level, 9 ft upstairs.
    Vacation house 10ft main level, 8 ft upstairs.

• kzim_gw
    9 years ago

Here is another reference for you.
    -We are building a ranch, 2310 sq ft, in the Midwest.
    -We agreed this week to bump up from 9ft to 10ft ceilings for the first floor (bedrooms, dining, bathroom, office, laundry?, hallway).
    -It will cost another $5000.
    -The 8ft doors were already part of our plan with the 9ft ceilings.
    -We do have a cathedral in the great room & kitchen so that area will be bumped up 1 foot more.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I think I'm kind of dog piling on the ideas that've already been put forth, but before you decide, be sure you're looking at TOTAL cost. In addition to the doors, which you mentioned, be sure you're including

- taller windows
    - more drywall
    - wider crown molding
    - more paint
    - larger window treatments, which will probably mean paying more (or sewing your own)
    - taller stairs to reach your upper floors
    - larger furnace and air that can heat /cool an extra X number of square feet
    - and the ongoing biggie: utility costs to heat/cool that extra X number of square feet

• anniej
    9 years ago

Good points, Mrs. Pete. Adding nothing but additional height can make a room look ill-proportioned and like the builder was cutting costs.