Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
halcyonbears

Plan Review Need Fresh Eyes!

halcyonbears
9 years ago

Hi all. I've been reading posts on here for a while and I'm finally getting some up myself. I'd really like any suggestions you helpful people have to offer. Signing the building contract soon and we're trying to get things as squared away as possible beforehand.

Comments (6)

• halcyonbears
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second Floor

• jlc712
    9 years ago

It looks very nice, how exciting!

You might want to post your kitchen plan on the Kitchen forum-- it looks a bit awkward. It would be tough to load/unload the dishwasher if someone is cooking at the range, and you might want to move the fridge to the right of the stove, so people won't be walking through the work space to grab a drink etc.

Upstairs in the hall bath, is it more important to have two sinks or some counter space? You might want to add a skylight or solar tube since there aren't any windows.

• halcyonbears
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks,

I realized that this plan doesn't include some minor changes to the kitchen plan, namely the fridge location.

For us the second bath upstairs is really just for guests. No kids in our near future and definitely not more than one of them. We figure it's more important to have the two sinks so people don't have to fight over them. But I might be forgetting something here.

The solatubes are kinda pricey, and seem easy enough to retrofit that we were thinking it wouldn't be worth it for a bathroom that isn't going to be used all that often. Still, if anyone has thoughts on this I'd love to hear them.

• bpath
    9 years ago

If there will be only one kid, who will he fight sinks with? Lol! Go with one sink/more counter and storage; rarely will two people be in there at the same time, and if they fight over sinks they'd also fight over the shortage of counterspace and storage.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

The downstairs seems to have a pretty good layout, but the rooms -- if I'm reading the numbers correctly on the small plan -- are fairly compact. With only two of you in the house and only one possible child in the future, I wonder if you wouldn't be better served by fewer /larger rooms. I mean, you could use the un-used upstairs guest room as an office, and you could go with one nice-sized eating area instead of two cramped spaces.

I would relocate the door to the screen porch. Once you have a table in place, you won't be able to reach it -- not without gymnastics to get around the table and chairs.

The kitchen looks more than a little awkward -- it needs a whole re-do. It's a modest space, but it still could be laid out efficiently. I think it would work best as a simple galley -- two straight runs of cabinets on each side, and bring them a little closer together. A galley is also cheaper because you're not paying for complicated angled /corner cabinets.

I like that the staircase has windows.

The upstairs hall bath vanity is not large enough to support two sinks; and with NO storage in this bathroom, you'd be better off going with one sink and a small linen tower to one side. And given your circumstances, I would remove the door splitting the bathroom in two.

I like the layout of the shower, but note that the toilet-in-a-closet door will cover the main bathroom door -- that's going to be a constant aggravation.

• texasguy4
    9 years ago

What sticks out to me is the spacing between the 2 garage doors. Two cars with huge doors would have to swing all of the way open at the same time for you to need that kind of space between the cars. Reduce the spacing between the 2 doors by a couple of feet and you will free up some great extra storage space in the garage.