Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlauder_gw

What door knob brand did you use?

mlauder
16 years ago

I'm shopping for door knobs. I found crystal passage set knobs from Baldwin for about $55. Is that an exorbitant price? (It is actually the lowest price I found for that particular knob.) But I can buy satin nickel plain knobs for about half from Schlage. Who is familiar with these knobs and can give some direction? This is my forever house and I don't want to ever have to change out the knobs again. TIA

Susan

Comments (18)

• amyks
    16 years ago

I love my Schlage knobs, had them in the last house and the new one. I have also had emtek and loved them. You will probably want to eventually change the knobs, regardless of the fact that you want to exit this house toes up in a pine box. Depending on your age, of course:-)) I just think of my last house with the polished brass everywhere, and the house was 12 years old and I couldn't wait to change it. I will probably change my hardware in this (new) house in the next decade.

Good luck!

Amy

• sue36
    16 years ago

Most of my knobs are Emtek, the glass Old Town knobs. My front set is from Nostalgic Warehouse. I don't think $55 is too high for quality hardware.

• lsst
    16 years ago

Emtek here, too, for the knobs on the front of the house. Their glass knobs are beautiful!
    We went with Schlage on the back because they could be keyed the same and were not quite as expensive.

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

I posted about this very issue last week. The relevant thread is attached, but no, I don't think $55 seems high for a glass knob. Good luck! j.

Doorknob thread

• owl_at_home
    16 years ago

I have Schlage and Emtek. My exterior knobs and handlesets are Schlage in oil rubbed bronze. I also have Schlage ORB knobs upstairs. But, my absolute favorite knobs are Emtek porcelain ones that I got for the downstairs interior doors. They are almond color with ORB hardware. They were about $65 each. (They aren't actually installed yet, so I don't have pictures.)

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

mlauder,

Absolutely no problem. The search functionality on GE is still broken, so it is hard to find threads right now. The only reason I knew about it was because I posted it.

The doorknob you have pictured is beautiful. Is it a Baldwin? Very pretty.

Jaymie

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Just adding to the Emtek group. Very nice quality!

• worthy
    16 years ago

For my own home, I most recently chose Emtek in a "living" finish. It's definitely not for everyone. Over three years, I've switched sets around to even the wear.

In my most recently built home, the customers insisted on Baldwin Kelham. In the past, my favourites were Gainsborough porcelain with 24K gold rosettes.

Interior: Emtek sandcast bronze

Front door: Emtek

Baldwin Kelham

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

worthy, What is a "living" finish? I can't believe I haven't run across that term yet. j.

• amyks
    16 years ago

not worthy, but a living finish is one that changes with use. For instance, I have a living finish on my hardware and I love it, because it is oil rubbed bronze, but after use some of the dark rubs off and underneath is a copper color. I have a lot of that copper color in my house, so I like it. If you don't want that then just be aware and ask about it.

Amy

• stinkytiger
    16 years ago

Hi,

I am glad you like knobs. I decided on handles. Wow what a brain twister. Left hand door, right hand door. Open towards you, open away from you. Key locks, privacy locks. Dummy handles for closets.

Good luck with your build. warmest regards, Mike.

• jea2007
    16 years ago

we are using the andover knobs from schlage. I am probably going to get an emtek for the front door

• kemptoncourt
    16 years ago

I guess we're the odd ball here.....we're using Nugard Levers and Locksets for our interior doors. We like the look just hope they operate solidly and hold up well. ORB finish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nugard Lever and Handle Sets

• Christine Decker
    16 years ago

Emtek here too! I just love mine. I have had them a year and I still smile whenever I look at them! They are beautiful and really good quality! Here are some pics http://picasaweb.google.com/deckerproject/DoorKnobsAndFixtures

• kjboggs
    16 years ago

If you are trying to save some money for another splurge, and not too picky on an exact style you want check out this ebay seller. I got 20 kwikset interior levers in antique bronze (and they are gorgeous) for $99, and a $270 kwikset bronze entry hardware for $49 and I cannot be more pleased with the quality for a price that is unheard of!!

Here is a link that might be useful: lockset discounters

• CSKI 13
    8 years ago

Hamilton Sinkler is our choice. I believe we got them through Nostalgic Hardware.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

This is a 7 year old thread that the poster posted as a spammer.