Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wishiwasinoz

We signed our contract & I feel 'meh'

wishiwasinoz
11 years ago

We signed our contract today on our dream home. We've been planning with the GC & Architect since late summer. DH bounded in the door with excitement. I had to inflate my mood for him.

I don't know why, but I only have about 0.5 ounce of excitement in me. Is that terrible (or weird)? It isn't related to finances or anything else that I can put a finger on. Maybe I am burned out on all the planning & it all came to a anticlimactic head today.

Anyone want to drink champagne tonight for me? :-/

Comments (14)

• lucy0214
    11 years ago

I hear you, we haven't even started on our interior finishes and I'm over it. Just telling myself in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter what shade of cream the cabinets are. I am thankful for my family and being able to have a home. The excitement fizzles at times, you'll get excited again.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Totally normal. When you start to see it come to life, you will get some cheap (okay not cheap) thrills again. Oh and then some more frustrations and disappointments and annoyances! And, then ...

you know, like life

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Or, you are like me and just knew it was the next step...

• wishiwasinoz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You all sum it up perfectly!

• zagut
    11 years ago

"in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter what shade of cream the cabinets are."

That statement is oh so true.

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    11 years ago

I was a nervous wreck - thinking "what have we done?" LOL Everyone handles things differently, but for us, we are really conservative when it comes to spending and that's what made me nervous. Especially with the economy the way it had been!

But once we signed the papers and construction began - I never looked back. I am happy we took a leap of faith and followed through on our dream!

You will have a lot of different feelings until you are moved and settled into your new home! Just take deep breaths and know that "this too shall pass."

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

When the house "comes up out of the ground" and begins to take shape is exciting for many. Then it seems to take forever for it to actually get enclosed and the interior finishes to commence.

When the interiors are recognizable is another exciting time. The best of all times is occupancy.

Be careful of changing your mind, adding and/or subtracting things, changing other things, as construction progresses and you begin to recognize what the final outcome may be. For many owners, this is the time of really discovering, for the first time, what the house design represents. This is the time where extra costs can soar. So do your homework before bidding and construction, then relax and wait for the stages where it's really exciting.

Good luck on your project!

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

Better 'meh' than my sudden panic! :)

• shiltsy
    11 years ago

And people in many countries are happy to have an 8x8' house built from pallets.

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

Oh, I forgot to respond when you posted about your view, I was imagining an ocean or canal view! :)

• sweet.reverie
    11 years ago

Shiltsy- yes that is true. But that is not the point. That is the same as saying you cannot complain you have a migraine because someone somewhere has cancer. This is a home building forum..thus the feelings expressed in this post are valid.

• wishiwasinoz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol Sweet Reverie! Especially, since I suffer from migraines.

If it helps you Shiltsy, I sponsor several women through Women for Women International each month, I sponsor several women through the Somaly Mam Foundation, I have wells built in Africa each year to provide clean water to entire villages so women can work & girls can go to school rather than spend hours carrying water. Oh, & I micro finance many women's agricultural endeavors in developing countries. Not to mention all the money & time which goes into local charities. I think DH & I try to do our part to help make this world a better place both locally & abroad.

Laura12, we will keep dreaming of that ocean view! :-)

• Spottythecat
    11 years ago

I hear ya! We have been working on our house for about 2 years now...we had to fire a builder back in October (left with just a stem wall) and we are getting back on track to start building again. I find it all so stressful! Decisions, decisions and you want to do it "right" with no regrets later on. And, in the meantime, our boys are 2 years older and we want to be able to enjoy our new home with them before they leave us!
    A true mix of emotions...

• wkearney99
    11 years ago

We're building a house now. Framing is done, most windows are in and roof shingles are next.

Double-check window placements and how they related to where furniture is going to be inside the rooms. We ended up moving several during the planning process, and thought we had it all figured out. But there ended up being one for the guest room that got moved to better allow for a queen-sized bed headboard.

Then double-check how the wiring locations will related to real-world use of the space. And then discover that the framing guys have ignored the wiring placements. As in, king stud smack in the middle of the place for a 6-gang switch box... Figure this out BEFORE drywall goes up.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012