Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agentslim

Fixed Price Builders

agentslim
12 years ago

Every reputable builder that I have met with here (fresno,Ca) deals with FIXED PRICE contracts. I have been searching for a Cost PLus Flat Fee builder but none seem to favor it at all. Should I keep trying to have them to do a Cost Plus Flat fee? Or settle for a Fixed Price with their allowances?

Comments (10)

• Betsey Thompson
    12 years ago

If you go fixed price, just make sure you get a lot of things specified as to allowances. We have a fixed price, and there is no transparency when we want to change things because not enough was specified for allowances. I can't comment on what is done in your area. I am in North Central Jersey. Fixed price is common here, and architects seem to favor it.

• abdrury
    12 years ago

Confirmed-- every builder we interviewed did fixed price (Kentucky.)

• User
    12 years ago

Allowances are actually "Cost of the Work Plus a Fee" contracts within a "Fixed Price" contract so the more of them you have, the closer you are to a Cost Plus contract.

To take full advantage of a competitively bid Fixed Price contract approach there should be no Allowances and unit prices provided where quantities might change.

• abdrury
    12 years ago

Well said, Renovator. We widdled our fixed contract down to just two allowances.

• agentslim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I found a contractor that is willing to do a Cost plus fixed fee. He mainly does commercial work with some work on residential. While large custom home builders are quoting me 140+ per sqft. He is saying $100 a sqft will get me a beautiful home. Sounds too good to be true. But a cost plus fixed fee why would he lie? Should I run?

• User
    12 years ago

Time are tough; why would he not lie? Get him to put some hair on his big bold statement.

• agentslim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well he said he will bid out my plans and I will see all the costs and calculate it for myself. His fee will be fixed. I am still hoping for some other builders that I can get bids from as well.

• montel (CA US 10b/Sunset 16)
    12 years ago

We are also in California and had prices all over the map ranging from $150 sq/ft to $265 sq/ft.

Our initial choice for a contractor was in the $150 range until it came down to sign contracts and his price went up to $190 sq/ft.

We fortunately found another builder who was just finishing a home in the neighborhood who came in closer to $155 sq/ft without his fee (~10%). Right now we are right about at that amount - with completion expected next week. That is still about $75,000.00 more than we planned for when we bought the lot - but we are right on budget throughout the build, so that is a plus.

A new neighbor has just started building and they were able to negotiate a 3% over cost contract with their GC - I don't know what their cost per sq. ft is, of if they are on a fixed price etc...

I think if you can nail down all of you finishes, fixtures, faucets, lights, appliances, tile, flooring, paint windows, doors, countertops, cabinets - everything and still be at $100 sq/ft then you have a great price for California.

• agentslim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Montel, where in california did you build?

• montel (CA US 10b/Sunset 16)
    12 years ago

We are in Santa Cruz