Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahmnj

Quality Pocket Door Frames?

Aletia Morgan
9 years ago

We're starting a renovation of our Master Bath, and for space reasons are including a pocket door.

In early discussions with the contractor, I had asked him to recommend pocket door frame units before he bought something, since from what I've read, there's a lot of variability.

I've read a lot about the Johnson frames, with a clear recommendation to use the ball-bearing rollers. There's also been positive love for the Hafele Futura framing kits.

All of these kits have vertical support studs, either all metal or metal-wrapped wood.

My contractor, however, is recommending a frame built by his lumber supplier, that uses horizontal framing of the pocket.

He couldn't give me any information about it beyond a rough sketch, but it looked like image I found on another discussion group at

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt79/julesjunk/004-21.jpg.

He claims that the vertical-only pocket frames are weaker, and low quality. I am concerned that he's only trying to save $$. Not a bad thing, but this door will get used a lot, and I need it to work well.

I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions!

Thanks....

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2133446}}

Comments (8)

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

I have never ever had a single problem with anything from Hafele, and I've used products from every category that they manufacture.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Hafele or Johnson, why reinvent the wheel when those two are tried and true products.

• Aletia Morgan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the comments -

The situation gets stickier - I talked to the PM, and he said he already BOUGHT the "homemade" pocket door frames he described. He hadn't mentioned that. I'm really irritated now.

This after multiple emails to him going back over the fall where I asked him to hold of purchasing a frame unit yet, and even as recently as January 9, we talked about what features were paramount.

So now, not only am I uncertain why "his" frame is any better than well-regarded frames, I'm feeling pushed into taking something I know nothing about. I said to him, ok, if you put them in and the doors don't work well for daily/frequent use, are you prepared to do them over? DH says I'm being too nasty and not trusting - he's a "professional".

I just get the sense he's trying to get away as cheaply as possible. Maybe I'm not trusting, but this is the second thing he's bought before we confirmed. The Architect plan had two window sizes shown as possible, based on our preferences. I had told him that was a place holder, and then when we met to review that wall (above the tub), he said he had ordered it months ago. And of course, he bought the smaller, thus cheaper one.

So the real frustration is that I know of no way to kick the tires on a pocket door. Do I trust the guy as a "pro", or bunches of online reviews from contractors & homeowners?

Would asking him to give me references for that door unit be fair?

Thanks.... we've had a bunch of delays between a major architect screwup and some walls not built as the plans showed in 1979, and so I know he's trying to catch back up on the schedule a bit (was due for completion before Xmas).

Such fun!

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

I'm inclined to think the contractor is cheaping out. I use Johnson. The three main considerations with a pocket frame door are the quality of the steel beam at the top that supports the wheels (Johnson is very beefy and won't distort over time), the hidden support members for the frame (Johnson frames are wood, but wrapped in a steel jacket), and the ease of adjustment when things are out of plumb (Johnson has a substantial bolt adjustment system). Compare what your contractor is providing with what you see in the link below and see if they are at all comparable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Johnson pocket frames

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Why would a lumberyard design and build something unless it fills a need for a product gap (ie: nothing dirt cheap available). Years ago Johnson made these as well if I am not mistaken, they were cheap fully constructed and looked like pallet or orange crate material. In other words mediocre at best. Tell him to take it back and get what you want. He said you had a choice so now it is on him, but you also set a precedent earlier by accepting the window you did not want, so expect so pushback on his part.

This post was edited by millworkman on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 7:04

• Aletia Morgan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi pliesj - I saw that YouTube video - it's very helpful! I love the functioning of the Hafele doors, but at least with a quick look at amazon pricing, they look like 6x the cost, and I've got two to get. Maybe one of each? :)

Met with the GC yesterday morning, and he's really pushing "his" frame, but said he'd use Johnson hardware/ball-bearing rollers. I asked for specs - he was irritated, but contacted his supplier, who texted him back.

Gee - turns out it's not a homemade job after all - it's the Johnson 2711 frame, the one that's way down at the bottom of the Johnson web page - looks just like he described, but which others seem to dismiss.

He claims it's better because it's pre-assembled, and has horizontal support. He has agreed to mount plywood on each side (the wall is planned to be 2x6" already, so there's some space).

Feels like I can't win - he did say that if I insisted, he'd get the Johnson 1500 or other metal-wrapped frame. But then I know if there's anything the least bit wrong, he'll blame me for forcing him to get the wrong frame.

But this is a door that will be used a lot, so I don't want to find in 2 years that it's falling apart.

I'd really appreciate some suggestions.... Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: GC Proposed Pocket Door Frame

• teamgo
    7 years ago

I am currently shopping for pocket door frames, and I'm curious to know which frame you chose and how it's working out. Do you have a minute to provide an update?