Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qwibbled

Do you have 2nd floor master bedroom balcony/deck?

qwibbled
14 years ago

Considering putting in a small 10'x10' deck off the second floor master bedroom suite but I'm not convinced we'll use it. Those of you that have one or have had one, do you use it? We'll have a larger deck underneath it off the kitchen/dining/living room area on the ground floor.

Comments (7)

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    14 years ago

Yes. Actually, we designed our house so all the bedrooms on the second floor and every bedroom has direct access to at least one deck. There are three upper decks with a total of almost 400 sq ft of space. The house faces north and one deck is on the northeast corner, another is on the south side, and the third is on the west side over a screened in porch that sits between the house and garage.

We haven't moved in yet but whenever we're working at the house and take a break, we almost always wind up sitting on one or the other of the 2nd floor decks.

We're in central Texas where it is hot most of the year but there is almost always a breeze up there and, except at high noon, one deck or the other is at least partially shaded. We've already eaten a number of pic-nic lunches out on the decks and I've taken more than one midafternoon nap on a folding chaise lounge out there.

We're kind of out in the country though so all our decks are pretty private. The one in back is invisible unless you are actually on our 4 acre property and even the one in "front" is mostly hidden by the trees in the front yard. I wouldn't feel at all uncomfortable going out in my pjs on any of them.

My brother also has a 2nd floor deck on the front side of his house in the Heights area of Houston. It is is pretty small (maybe 6' x 12') and not at all private but they seem to use it quite a bit. In fact, I usually find my brother sitting out there with his laptop when I drive up.

I think it kind of depends on your personality. If you like feeling fresh air and being outdoors, you'll probably use your deck. If you actually are more comfortable indoors, then your decks (and patios) probably won't get much use.

• gopintos
    14 years ago

Well, how do I explain. Our master is main floor in the far back corner, however the back side where the master is, is actually 2 stories off the ground. So we have a door to the deck, which is actually the wrap around porch from the front.

Then on the 2 floor, we have another deck/porch which on the back side is actually 3 stories up. It is awesome!

I see us using it all the time. We are in the country also but we would use it in the city too.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• qwibbled
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Interesting, not what I expected to hear

• gopintos
    14 years ago

There was another discussion in the past few weeks, not sure what you could search for, I think it was worded more towards, Do you want/have/like an exterior door from the master... I dont really remember how it was worded but maybe if you just go back a few pages in the past month you might find it :-)

There were pros and cons might give you more insight.
    hth :-)

• gopintos
    14 years ago

Had to look for it :-) So here is the other link.

Not quite the same but might have more ideas for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: masterbed w/patio access

• sue36
    14 years ago

We have one off the master bath. It is cantilevered, so there is no visible support. Do we use it? Well, I guess that depends on what you mean by "use". We walk out on it during warm weather occassionally. But other than that we don't use it. I thought we would sit out there, having a cup of coffee in the morning. I think I was imagining someone else's life! The cats like going out on it, but boy cat jumped off it once (or was pushed by girl cat, we don't really know). Luckily he wasn't injured.

DH calls it his mahogany deer stand.