Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
central79h

Ledge for sitting to get into and out of Corner Tub

Central79
11 years ago

We are building new home and putting in a Kohler-1154 corner whirlpool tub. We are deciding how wide a tile ledge to put on front. Or Maybe no ledge. We want to be able to sit on edge of tub and easily swing legs over to get into and out of tub.
Should we just use ledge of tub or a wider tile ledge?

The goal is to be able to sit and balance while swinging legs easily over and into and out of the tub. We want ledge wide enough to sit, but not too wide to hinder swinging legs into and out of tub.

Consider for a woman 5ft tall.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

IMO, this is a very awkward and inconvenient way to install a tub. The fittings are located on the long diagonal side of the tub where one might reasonably like to sit and enter the tub, but cannot due to the fittings which are located here. That leaves the much smaller orthagonal 26" areas, if they are clear and not adjacent to counters, cabinets or other plumbing fixtures.

If you use a platform in which to "drop" and surface mount the tub it makes the overall dimensions even larger/deeper and potentially more difficult to sit, swing legs over and enter the tub.

This sort of installation typically looks good, but is difficult and inconvenient to actually use, IMO.

If you are wed to a ledge and "drop-in" installation, I recomment corian or similar over tile. Much less maintenance and worries about grout staining.

Good luck with your project.

• Central79
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks virgilcarter:

We were planning to place the plumbing fixtures on the short edge sides (26") and back area and not along the front diagonal, so as to leave the long front diagonal free to sit and swing legs around.

What alternative method of installation would be possibl?
    Thanks

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

Check the tub's spec sheets to be sure that you can install the fittings on one of the short edges, rather than on the long diagonal.

A tub installed orthagonally (no diagonal) with the fittings on one of the short sides may often be easier to enter and leave since it has a longer side to accomodate the process and makes possible a grab bar at the short end opposite the fittings (if needed).

Perhaps the most challenging type installation for entry and exit is one where the tub is near or at floor level.

• User
    11 years ago

I would mount the fill spout at one side or the other in one of the 90 degree tub corners and use the other side for entry with a grab bar on the wall. In any case, I doubt you would want to sit on the platform in order to enter the tub in all your natural born splendor because the tub edge will be 1 1/2" above the platform. I prefer to keep my unadorned back side on smooth level surfaces if at all possible but maybe that's a guy thing.

However, you haven't shown us if the platform will follow the tub edge or follow a straight line forming a triangle.

• User
    11 years ago

Perhaps I should explain that a man is not going to sit down and swing both legs into a tub with his knees together; it's against the rules. He would prefer to boldly step in and break his neck.

• User
    11 years ago

These types of tubs are very awkward to use and maintain. Especially in a drop in situation. If you shift the controls to one side, make sure that you can still easily reach them for filling when you are outside the tub. If you want a ledge to sit on to enter and exit, you'll want to NOT do a drop in mount. You'll want to do an undermount with a slab material over the rim so as to create a smooth transition ledge to around the rim, or you will want to minimize the ledge to be as small as possible so that you only sit on the rim of the tub. Make SURE that you have blocking behind the wall of all adjacent walls. It's the only way you can safely get in and out of these tubs. It's not just about being elderly either. Think pregnancy, or an injury that limits mobility. Been there and done that (frozen shoulder), and barely made it out of the tub even with help. I should have known better.

A better solution is a different tub in a better location. Or even just a plain oval tub mounted diagonally across the corner. They are much easier to deal with. The times that two people will actually use a tub this size are limited to under 10 in the entire life of the tub. And yet, there it sits in most homes. A big space wasting expense that never gets used. Better to put the money in a better shower and do a much simpler tub.

This post was edited by live_wire_oak on Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 11:50

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

These sorts of tubs are always pictured in the real estate advertisments for houses desiring "up scale" status. The remind me of a "buffalo waller" (it an old southwest expression--you either know what it means or you don't).

Is it too late to redesign the bathroom?

• User
    11 years ago

Tubs like that are what usually drive bath renovations in a few years when the homeowner realizes they could have had a nicer sized shower instead. Do that in the first place and nix the giant useless tub.

• Central79
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Renovator8 and virgilcarter:

We did not realize these issues until we saw the tub on-site.
    Tub is for 5' tall wife. 6' tall husband is a shower guy. (bathroom includes a large walk-in shower). It is too late to redesign the bathroom. Tub is on site and GC says he can make the ledge any width we like. We were planning to have the platform follow the tub edge.
    Thanks

• zagut
    11 years ago

Don't make the ledge very wide.
    It would be like sitting on a table in front of the tub.
    It should be no wider then your butt is if you want to sit and then spin around into it.

• PRO
    EGL Consulting
    10 years ago

Central79 - Hope you are still monitoring this site, although your remodel has probably been completed long ago. Maybe someone else might be able to chime in, too.

I am also looking at the same corner tub, the Kohler 54" x 54" model and was wondering whether you found it a comfortable tub in general. And in particular, can you recline enough to get most of your body under the water? I know that it is not a deep soaking tub, but I have found that with some tubs the recline does help a lot.

Also, how did the ledge work out for you?

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living