Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AnnieDeighnaugh - Your flooring?

Posted by nanj (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 16:48

AnnieD - I saw your post on "Carefree Materials" about using high-end vinyl flooring. The pics of your home are so beautiful so I am intrigued that you chose vinyl. We are in the design stage of our retirement home and every decision includes "is it easy care?". With Golden Retrievers and a pond on the property, our floors will be abused!

Can you share a few photos of your flooring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AnnieDeighnaugh - Your flooring?

I also would love to see the pics and the brand/names of the product you used! Thanks Annie!

o

Glad to be of help. I used Amtico Rosewood for the wood floor, Garcia Stone for the kitchen and foyer floors and an antique brass strip which I had them custom make double wide to fit my application. We first saw the flooring in Expo which was an upscale Home Depot store...they had it throughout the store and were driving tow motors over it and parking skids on it in addition to tons of foot traffic...we figured if it could stand up there, it could stand up in our little home. We opted for it against advice of architect, who has since used high end vinyl in other applications....

Foyer with Garcia Stone and Rosewood trim edging the room, with a compass in the middle. Compass is made of rosewood, garcia stone and light maple.

Our DR is open to our library with columns separating the spaces to create a hallway between the rooms. I added the antique "brass" amtico flooring in a square pattern that matches the coffering in the ceiling of the hall area. I ran the grain the other way to help visually separate the spaces.

I used the rosewood in the family room and used the garcia stone in the kitchen, cutting a shape in the floor that matches the curve of the island which matches the curve of the soffit that separates the kitchen from the family room.

Fair warning...it is expensive, more expensive than hardwood. I believe there are other mnfctrs out there making comparable products now, but when I was looking, none of them had that brass trim that I coveted and none had the rosewood color which I fell in love with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amtico flooring

o

Wow! Really lovely floors. I had seen Amtico years ago at an Expo and had forgotten about it. Thank you for posting pictures that provide inspiration!

o

Annie,

You're flooring is beautiful. I would have never guessed it wasn't stone or wood. Thanks for posting pictures. I think you just got my bathroom remodel back on track!

Jennifer

o

Glad to be of help!

o

We have had people in the home and asked them what they thought the floor was and they often respond, "You mean what kind of wood it is?"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here