Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aleleux1

Stainable Fiberglass Doors

A Lleux
9 years ago

We ordered 3 textured fiberglass doors for our garage and rear porch entries with the intention of staining them. All 3 came with real wood jamb/trim and the one with glass has real wood trim around the 3/4 lite glass. I went by the house and they've installed the doors. I fully expected to see tan colored doors. Instead, they are a rust color. They are definitely textured for staining. Anyone ever seen or have experience with this type of textured fiberglass door?

{{gwi:2133395}}

{{gwi:2133396}}

Comments (8)

• jdez
    9 years ago

Not sure aleleux but the very same store that sold you that house wrap sold me a fiberglass door for my front entry that was supposed to be stained from the factory. It was not. Come to find out, they are rarely if ever sold already stained. I was not happy. Anyway, I would think that the color of your doors would alter the finished stain color on yours. Maybe you could test your stains on the bottom or top edge of the door?

• A Lleux
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We ordered the doors from an actual door and window shop so I'm going to talk to the guy that sold them to us some more about it. Just not what I expected by any means. It seems to me it would be hard to choose a stain color and know how it will look with that undertone. Maybe because fiberglass doesn't actually absorb stain it will be okay. Great idea about testing on the edge. Thanks!

• jdez
    9 years ago

Just an FYI, we had a fiberglass door with wood trim and wood transom and the stain showed no visible difference between the two. Both of them needed three coats.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Fiberglass doors are stained with a wiping or gel stain as it does not absorb into the surface but rather sits on it. As far as "wood trim" surrounding the glass I have never heard of such a thing and in my opinion defeats part of the purpose of buying a fiberglass door. That trim will not hold up well in my opinion. Also wood frames and trim on said frame is the standard frame. What brand door is that if I might ask?

• A Lleux
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Millworkman, I'll have to get the brand for you when o go out. We proved textured fiberglass doors at 3 places: 2 door and window shops here and a lumber supply store. Every single one came with real wood door jamb/frames. We chose these for the back of our home after several people we know that recently built used them for rear and side entries. We thought they would require less maintenance than wood doors, but we did choose a wooden double door for our front entry. The friends that have textured fiberglass doors also have real wood trim/jamb. It seems to be the only way they are available here. I'll get the brand when I run out today. I've not found anywhere that makes textured fiberglass jamb/casing locally.

• A Lleux
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness. I should proofread.
    * priced

• millworkman
    9 years ago

The frames and trim surrounding the doors is always going to be wood, the unusual trim that you say is wood is the trim surrounding the GLASS, as that is usually plastic or some sort of composite material.

• A Lleux
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, maybe it isn't wood. I misread what you wrote. I will have to look closer at it when I go back out. It must be a composite material then.