Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
niff_gw

Coat closet doors & hardware

niff
15 years ago

We have the traditional wide reach-in coat closets... two closets on opposite sides of one another. Currently, our architect spec'd the standard bi-fold doors. I am not opposed to the bi-fold doors per se, just don't want to deal with the cheesy home store tracks that ultimately break. Is there any stout bi-fold door hardware out there these days?

Or, can anyone offer a reach-in door set up they opted for instead of bi-fold doors? Specifically, I'm interested in quality closet hardware -- I know there's some pretty clever stuff.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

Swinging doors on hinges work well.

• flseadog
    15 years ago

Our architect also spec'd the bi-folds even though we told him we absolutely didn't want any bi-folds ever again. When it came time to build we chose to get paired swinging doors as mightyanvil has also suggested. All of our closet doors have a ball-catch and fixed lever style handles. If you have enough room for the doors to swing out I think this is far preferable to any bi-fold no matter how good the hardware. We have had all types of hardware on bi-folds in the past and none of it made me like the doors any better.

• meldy_nva
    15 years ago

I'm one of the odd people who prefer bifolds, especially on wide closets. The secret to smoothness is that the track must be installed absolutely level from end to end.

I don't have a brand recommendation - haven't the vaguest idea whose I brought. What I did do (on the advice of the trim carpenter) was inspect the various available tracks to choose the heaviest, thickest one, which apparently is an indication of sturdiness.

I like best that it is easy to open/close without taking up a lot of hall space; and makes the whole width of the closet available.

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

Johnson Hardware make good quality bi-fold hardware, but correct installation is very important.

Here is a link that might be useful: Johnson Bi-fold hardware

• jbradshaw
    15 years ago

i also perfer bi-fold. i absolutely hate sliding track doors- you cannot get into your closet! we never had a problem with the bifolds i grew up with.

• gary1227
    15 years ago

We opted to do split doors that open out as shown below on our coat closests and pantry instead of bifolds. Our front entry closet is 8ft wide with 2 sets 36" doors frames each with 2 18" doors that open out (sorry no photo, our pantry door is shown). Nice alternative to bifolds. Our builder came up with the idea.

• mel_bc
    15 years ago

Our last house had bi folds and I swore I would never do that again. In the house that we just built we also put in the ball-catch fixed lever handle doors and I couldn't be happier. They just feel more solid and look really nice in my opinion. This works on any closet no matter what the size is, wide or narrow.

• Ron Natalie
    15 years ago

I've had bifolds. I replaced most of them in the current house with mirrored sliders. In the new house, I'm putting in normal (double for the coat closet) swinging doors. I'd not use bifolds/sliders unless there was some serious clearance issue.

• suero
    15 years ago

We put split doors on all our new closets.Each door has a 36" opening, which means that each door is 18". That's wide enough to be able to use the inside of the door for storage, mirrors, or nothing. It's also wide enough to get in without opening both sides.
    Only one problem is that you have to adjust the ball catch at the top every so often. A couple of turns of the ball fixes the catch.