Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
icedc

Soon to be final? And a little elevation help, please.

icedC
11 years ago

I could not resist posting our plans one last night; everyone's insight has been invaluable.

Here are the floor plans for final review. I don't think there have been any big changes to the 2nd floor in a while. 1st floor, notably, we bumped out a kitchen wall so that we could fit a door to the covered porch.

Now, onto the elevation. We had the archiect alter the stone slightly, but he did not get rid of all of that "accent" stone at the bottom which will not be there. My major question is this- would you prefer the rectangle over the door or the arched window? There is something that is not pleasing to me about the arch, but the rectangle does not seem quite right either. I need a new pair of fresh eyes, please! (For what it is worth, our architect does not prefer the rectangle.)

And of course, any other thoughts on the elevation are welcome!

Thanks again everyone. We are hoping to break ground in about a month. (please mother nature!)

Comments (7)

• renovator8
    11 years ago

The dormers need to be larger or deleted.

• icedC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No dormers! Hubby has decided he likes the house better without them.

• pps7
    11 years ago

Looks pretty good overall!

Here's my amateur opinion:

The window above the door is too big. I would make it the same size as the other windows on the second floor. I prefer the rectangle. I would also make sure any shutters are the correct size and look like they could be operational even if they are not. It seems like your shutters may be too small. I would take out the shutters on the big window on the right.

I know you didn't ask for opinions on the floor plan but:

What do you think about adding a side entry to the mudroom? Replacing the window with a door? Are you sure you need the door from the hall to the mudroom? I just imagine carrying in a hand full of groceries and the door being closed. IT doesn't seem like the mudroom mess would be visible.

Also, the kitchen: Have you considered swapping the fridge and ovens?

What is that built in between the living and eat in kitchen? Where is your kitchen table going to be? It just seems odd bc it's not centered on the island or the fireplace. It seems like these things should line up.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I like the house. A lot. But, I agree with pps.

If you have kids...they will be playing in and on the driveway. You may put up a BB hoop. They will want drinks, to go to the bathroom, to do this and that. They will run in and out of the house. In the years to come, you will wish you had a door in your mudroom. Hate this phrase but...just saying.

The other alternative is leaving your garage up all of the time for them to run in and out.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I agree, the window over the door should be the same size as the others on the second floor.

Don't put shutters on the large window to the right. They clearly are not capable of actually covering the window.

The divided lites of the transoms are odd. Could you just get them with vertical divisions that lined up with the vertical muntins below? And regular divided lites with a camber top on the double height windows on the sides of the house? I find the current divisions off-putting and they aren't really based on a historical style. (Actually I would probably kill the cambered arch windows on all elevations and just do rectangular windows throughout).

• icedC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pps- Thanks so much. Lots of great thoughts. The kitchen layout is definitely not set in stone; I tried the kitchen forum but got zero feedback. Hopefully the cabinetry people will have some ideas soon, but the fridge/oven swap sounds promising! We're still contemplating the door from mudroom to outside. Hmm, something to think about with the door to mudroom too.

I have had the same though about the kitchen too re: things "lining up." We were planning the built-in to create a little separation between the spaces, and to make the bump to higher ceiling in the family room seem more natural. Maybe it would be better to just do an arch to create a sense of two different spaces rather than the built-in.

red- I guess that is the question! If the kids would actually use a side door vs just coming in the garage anyway.

palimpest- You have brought up lots of things that have been bothering me! Shutters that could not possibly have any function: the just look so silly. We were never really sold on the arch (cambered- I had to look that word up!) windows anyway.

Here is my quick and dirty paint mock-up. Better, I think? I thought keeping the window the same size would not look right either, but you were right! It is much better.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I like the rectangular openings better, but I would increase the window height either in the primary window or with rectangular transoms on the first floor--which you may be doing, but not showing in your quick mockup.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource