Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
etcncr8

share your exterior finish pictures with me...please!?:)

etcncr
10 years ago

We are about to order our fiber cement straight edge shingles and trim from certainteed. There are some homes where we love the look of the shingles and some where we do not. Trying to pinpoint what the difference is. Is it the trim work? Anyway, if you've got an exterior finish of fiber cement shingles and wouldn't mind sharing a picture and maybe some tips:) I would really appreciate it! Thank you so much!

Comments (14)

• Jules
    10 years ago

I don't have photos to share, but we decided on Nichiha brand fiber cement siding based on several recommendations here and elsewhere. We also much preferred the look of Nichiha over CertainTeed and Hardie products. You might also consider looking into this brand.

Our house currently is covered with Tyvek awaiting siding.

You can also search images via google and houzz.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nichiha Sierra Premium Shake

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Please consider a different brand. We used Certainteed 8 yrs ago and there is a class action lawsuit which has recently been settled with them. Of course the amount received will not cover the damage.

I would seriously consider the Nichiha. I haven't heard anything bad about this brand.

My house is really pretty from a distance, but the color is extremely faded and lots of cracks.

You need to find out if the product you are looking at has fly ash in it. But, honestly whether it does or not...I wouldn't use them.

• etcncr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your responses! We just looked up nichiha and from what I can see, their product is only offered in the eastern part of the USA? We live in the west. Where do you guys live? Am I wrong? (I hope I'm wrong! We would love to use this product!)

• Jules
    10 years ago

Call the number listed at the bottom of the page I linked, tell them where you live and ask for the distributor's name and number for your area.

I had to jump through some hoops but finally found a source to buy from. I live in Michigan.

• etcncr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you jujubean71! We will call them in the morning. How does their price compare to hardie and certainteed? And wharves it about them makes them so much better? It seems that everyone loves them.

• Kathy Harrington
    10 years ago

When you guys are talking about problems with Hardi and Certantainteed are you referring to the blistering of the paint from the manufactor? What has the experience been using each of these sidings and painting it after installation?

• Jules
    10 years ago

etcncr, I believe Nichiha is more expensive. Our delivered price with tax was right around $3/sf ... if I'm remembering correctly. This was on the Sierra Premium Shake, primed but not painted.

We looked into having the shakes factory painted by Carolina Colortones and other companies who do this, but in the end it was most cost effective to buy the primed product and have our painter paint two coats on site. Plus our builder felt that by the time he finished installing the shakes, the nail holes and joints would need to be repainted with one coat of paint anyway.

harringk, I've never used Hardi nor CertainTeed fiber cement products, so I can't speak from experience, but I did read a number of stories about blistering, cracks, fading, etc. in these brands. Hopefully some of these issues have been remedied.

To me, the look of the Nichiha shakes is much more realistic.

• am80
    10 years ago

Nichiha hands down. We are currently building and went with the pre-stained product by Carolina Colortones. Here are some preliminary pics. I'll add more once it's done.

• am80
    10 years ago

Another pic for you.

• mobarnica
    9 years ago

Hi Billie,
    Nice build! What color is your siding?
    Guy from Carolina Colortones was very helpful and oh so patient with me. I finally decided on Chestnut stained siding and shingle. Should start going up in a couple weeks. I'll post a photo when it's finished.

• shredder50
    9 years ago

BLJackson, was hoping you could share a more current picture of your fridge alcove as well as info such as dimensions, especially the ceiling height & height & width of the top shelf/arch. Our house has features from a couple Garrell floor plans and although we provided photos of the fridge alcove, it is partially built and the arch is way too short (only 10" at highest point). They also did not take the arch up to the ceiling so there is an additional 15" of space available, depending on the size of the keystone. Your photo appears to perhaps have a lower ceiling than the Amicola cottage photo so thought it might help to know how your turned out in working this out with our builder. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Amicola Cottage fridge alcove

• MandBJ
    9 years ago

am80, If you are still around would you mind posting more pictures of your windows and letting us know what type and where they came from? Thanks! MJ

• juddandsarah
    9 years ago

We used bark shingles instead and loved it!