Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muffn

Is this angle hard for moving furniture?

muffn
10 years ago

This is the entrance to our master bedroom - it has a 90 degree turn. Our architect changed it (without suggesting it first), thus adding 75 sq. feet onto our plan because he said it will be hard to get furniture into the room. Now, we don't have big furniture, so it's not a problem for us. Woudl it be a problem for you? Enought to justify adding all that added square footage???

Comments (15)

• nini804
    10 years ago

Yes, I couldn't imagine turning something like a dresser in that tight space, I would hit the wall.

• muffn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How is it that I see this configuration in a great deal of Don Gardner's plans. Can a gigantic flaw like that really be made so often?? UGH!

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Oh yeah, the mill plans repeat stupid things all the time. Like having a "great room" that can't have a normal sized sofa in it because of the traffic paths through it. Or this particularly egregious error. A bedroom that you can't get a bed in.

• muffn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wow! So annoying. I can't figure out how to fix it.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

melissa-related but also related to your other main floor thread. We have stairs from our garage to the basement for just this purpose - moving furnishings in easily. Inside we have a U-shaped stair and what a pain that would be for couches, etc. Plus it enters into the mechanical room so if we need repairs, etc. we can still have the house locked but access to the mechanical area open from the garage.

We have a kind sized bed and that alone would be a pain with that angle even though it's somewhat flexible. Do ya wanna scrape anything against your freshly painted walls? As nini said - a dresser - ugh. Wouldn't want to chance it.

• okpokesfan
    10 years ago

I have one of those and got a king size mattress, bed, and nightstands in it no problem. We don't have dressers in our bedrooms though but there is plenty of room for them to be stood on end and moved in if needed. Our "hall" outside the door is 4 ft wide. Good luck!

• muffn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What size door do you have on your bedroom?
    And how long is your hallway?
    I feel like the mattress can bend and go in fine. But not sure after the other comments.
    Do you have a copy of your plan so I can compare?
    thanks!

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

Yes I think that angle would be very difficult for moving in furniture. I'm sure my king size bed (with headboard) would not fit.

Solution below isn't ideal as your BR door would open right off the great room, but it allows you more flexibility to move in furniture. The door could be flush with the BR wall (black door in mockup) or placed where the current opening from the GR is (blue door in mockup.)

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

chicagoans looks like a viable solution and you still cannot see inside the master so your privacy is preserved. :)

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Yes, I think it will be a problem. I think a king-sized bed would be fine because the mattress would bend a bit, and the box springs divide into two pieces. The headboard would probably be okay, but I'm 100% certain my triple-wide dresser would not fit through that spot. I don't think I personally would've caught this problem on paper -- good eyes.

I like Chicagoians' solution. In fact, I think it's a nicer entrance to the bedroom than the original plan. I would, however, bump that #9 door a little closer to the front of the house so that your sight-line as you enter the bedroom would be the wall (upon which you could place a nice picture) instead of the corner of the closet door being right ahead of you. OR flip-flop it so that the linen closet is dead ahead. But don't let something be "half way" in the sight line.

And, yes, I do think big designers would run a foolish thing through time after time. Their job is selling plans, not necessarily following up on them. Don't we see the same non-functional things over and over and over here?

• chispa
    10 years ago

Is this on the first/ground floor? Don't you have French doors or sliders out to the patio/yard?

When we lived overseas the movers managed to move our large computer armoire up 3 stories (didn't fit in the elevator) into a Tokyo apartment. If that hadn't worked they were going to hoist it from the outside and over the balcony!

• lyfia
    10 years ago

The problem isn't the bend itself, but the walls outside the bend preventing a turn. We have a similar 90 degree bend, but without the walls and had no issues getting our furniture in at all. 36"door and 42" hall

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

The stairs protruding into our foyer look nice and pose no problem for persons walking through. Getting the furniture in was a bit of a problem and that included about everything in the house. Construction was not a problem as the newels were not in place at the time.
    But we twice had ambulance crews moving their huge gurney through that space for a now-deceased family member. It was a squeeze to avoid damage to the house. The extra moments involved played no part in the eventual death.

• nostalgicfarm
    10 years ago

Do you love your furniture? Maybe move it all in before they close the gap? At least then, you won't ding up new paint...when you change furniture in 20 years, you can repaint after. :) Trying to think outside the box for you. That is a lot of square footage to add just to get furniture in! Gosh, I know it is just drywalled space, but at $100 square foot x 75 feet, I could keep my current furniture in my house when I sell it and buy new for the next place ;).

• muffn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chicagoans - thanks for the sketch! Funny how our architect couldn't come up with that. His solution would have costed about 10K! Dumb. Thank goodness for this board. By the way we fired him yesterday. He was incompetent in a lot of ways.

So I can't figure out if I should just let it be or make the change. I prefer not being able to see the master bedroom door from the great room. And I'm sure our furniture will fit through the original way it is. The only reason to change it is for the **possibility** that we'd want to put something huge in there down the road. And even then I'm not positive that we'd have a problem.

I've been looking on DG's pinterst page and checked out their master bedroom board. I clicked on all the pictures with huge furniture shown in the room and quite few have the same angle leading into the master. And it looks like from the corresponding great room photos that they kept the build the same as the plan.

Not sure what to do!