Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsb1227

Need some help with chandelier size

mrsb1227
9 years ago

I am currently shopping for a light fixture for our family room. The room is 14.9 x 22 and has a cathedral ceiling. I want some sort of orb fixture but am unsure how big I need to go, I don't want something too small. Pic attached for reference, there is plenty of natural light in the room from a triple window and two single windows and there are 4 recessed lights in the space as well.

Comments (10)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

According to one of the rules of thumb you could go with something 37" in diameter, slightly larger if it is lightweight looking.

• pps7
    9 years ago

Depending on your layout, you may want to do 2 fixtures.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I agree one fixture might not do it...unless you want to visually expand the fixture by putting in a ceiling fan...

• caben15
    9 years ago

Restoration Hardware has some large scale items. They also have 20% off until January 6.

e.g. this orb which is pretty large but also comes in smaller sizes.

You might also look at Currey & Co which has some very nice "statement" designer fixtures including some larger scale ones. We used a 5' round chandelier in our great room. Awesome scale for the room.

• mrsb1227
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks everyone.

Just one fixture for the space, I have no need to divide the space as we already have formal and casual dining spaces, and a formal living space. Plus we're already at the painting stage and I'm not going to start tearing up that ceiling to add another light nor do I want to pay for that!
    I've already found a massive, yet stylish sectional that will fill the space nicely. The wall opposite the triple window will have an entertainment center with our TV.

I was worried I would need something massive, I'm not liking the prices of the big fixtures! Time to do some bargain shopping!

• rmsaustin
    9 years ago

If you are willing to try a DIY - Check out the Moooi Random Light, and then check out Youtube for "how to make" the light yourself -- easy to do and would be quite dramatic in that space. I made one for my house for about $75 in materials (including the light fixture).

• rmsaustin
    9 years ago

If you are willing to try a DIY - Check out the Moooi Random Light, and then check out Youtube for "how to make" the light yourself -- easy to do and would be quite dramatic in that space. I made one for my house for about $75 in materials (including the light fixture).

• rmsaustin
    9 years ago

• JHester
    9 years ago

My (future build) great room is similar to yours 19x18 with vaulted ceilings and I'm going with the knockoff orb fixture from restoration hardware. Check Overstock for the knock offs. They're much more reasonable and have useful reviews. I think the general rule on fixtures is to take the length and width of a room, add them together and convert into inches.

• Aims
    9 years ago

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/orb-extra-large-chandelier/240574

http://www.build.com/crystorama-lighting-group-9229-chandelier/s763203

Ballard is expensive. Build.com has pretty competitive pricing as does 1-800-lighting and they are both Ebates retailers.

I am getting the smaller Crystorama Solaris fixture for the entrance of our house.