Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m_n_a

mildew stain resistant grout: epoxy or other suggestions?

M_N_A
10 years ago

our rooms are kind of dark so the tiles we picked are all light color.

for maintenance concern, we are looking for solution of mildew stain resistant grout.

we found epoxy Grout such as SpectraLOCK. But a quick search seem to found lots of complains of messy sticky residue on the tiles which is hard to clean up, and sagging on vertical installations.

What's more, our contractors, though having many years of experience and being very careful and thorough, have not used expoxy group.

Should we give it a try?

is there other suggestions for best mildew stain resistant solutions? thanks!!

Comments (8)

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

I used epoxy on our last shower and the grout is pretty stained 3 years later. We paid quite a bit more for it and to me I have seen zero benefit. I have heard, from the tile shop, that the best thing is now the Polyurethane grouts like Quartzlock. You have to work more quickly with both of these and they come premixed in buckets so that is different from an installers view too. Time and effort is more than typical grout. We had to find an installer familiar with the epoxy before because no one else would work with it.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

This question is best answered by the "Bath" forum; specifically look for answers from Mongoct or see if Mongoct will answer directly...

We used a laticrete "epoxy" product that isn't entirely epoxy and had none of those issues and have no mildew...

Ventilation is also most important for prevention of bathroom mildew.

• M_N_A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@MFatt16, that sucks!

@kirkhall, I did already and he's very helpful. BTW where did you get thelaticrete grout?

• User
    10 years ago

NEVER spec something that your installer is unfamiliar with and which he will have to come up to speed on and is resistant to doing so. That's a recipe for a bad job. Your best bet is to ask your pro what HE would recommend. Or, find another pro who IS familiar with the products you want used.

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

It does suck! I was folding laundry up there yesterday and the grout looks terrible IMO. Its a fully tiled bathroom with a handicapped shower so the grout is plentiful. I am beginning to wonder if we got charged for Epoxy and installed regular that was not sealed. I agree with Holly, get someone familiar with the product since grout relies on sound install to be effective.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

(Got our laticrete product from a local contractor supply place... It used to be available at Lowes, but our local Lowes switched to another brand... can't recall offhand. I've seen it mentioned on the bathroom forum also).

• kas4
    10 years ago

Our bath remodel was completed in October. We didn't use epoxy grout. I was very concerned about mildew and the contractor recommended the Tile Doctor Shield System. It's a 3-step system that you apply once a year and then use the "maintain" product once a month. He said we wouldn't have to clean the shower. The products are applied very quickly with little effort; the monthly maintenance application takes about 10 min. No mildew so far and I haven't had to clean the shower. (I am not affiliated with Tile Doctor in any way.)

I agree with the comment about ventilation. We use a squeegee and towel to dry the shower after each use including the floor. Also we leave the shower door open and turn on the ceiling fan for a while to dry everything off really well.

• ismellbbq
    10 years ago

I would try something else, either use grout with an ultra fine titanium dioxide additive or use an aqueous dispersion of the same after a regular grout is put on.

Either would prevent growth of mildew assuming appropriate lighting. Fluorescent should be sufficient.