Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pps7_gw

Garage shelving and flooring

pps7
9 years ago

We've been in our home for 4 years but I'm finally getting around to organizing the garage. I'm looking for suggestions for garage shelving. It needs to be mounted on the wall. Cannot be standing on the ground because there is soffit on the ground. I'm thinking of doing the Elfa system from the container store but checking if there are better options. I don't need a whole lot. We're not super handy people, but just need to store some basic tools and gardening stuff.

Also, thinking of doing the epoxy finish on the garage floor. We would have it professionally done. Is there a brand that wears better than others?

Comments (10)

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

We have a Gladiator garage wall system. Sears and Amazon regularly place the system bits and pieces on sale. We just picked up two great wall cabinets in the dent and ding area at Sears. Great system - easy to rearrange.

We also have 1 bar of a system from Home Depot that is a bar bolted to the wall with lots of hooks etc that attach to the bar.

Inside, we have a lot of Elfa in closets that we really like, but Elfa is pricey. A few times a year The Container Store puts them on sale.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I haven't used them but someone recommended ikea shelving system. We had ours custom built out of wood.

I've heard mixed results on the epoxy flooring in terms of how long it lasts. I think I might just clean and seal instead.

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

I'm going to use commercial vinyl tile. I worked in a machine shop that had CVT floors ($1/Sq/ft) for over thirty years with metal shavings and forklift traffic all day. By comparison, I worked in another shop that had very expensive epoxy paint ($2/sq/ft) and it was destroyed in a couple years.

The only caveat is that the manufacturer doesn't recommend using it in applications that get below 55 degrees, but I'm going to try it anyway.

They also make snap-together garage tiles, starting around $2 sq/ft, and there's no glue- you just lay them down.

• gabbythecat
    9 years ago

We also have the snap together tiles for the floor. We found them online, also at Lowes. Looks like the same stuff. My dh installed them - easy to install, they are wearing well, and add a layer of sound insulation. They are also comfortable to walk on. In fact, I almost wish we'd used them in the house! We've never done epoxy, but it seems like it could be difficult to do correctly.

• pps7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For those who used the tile, do you drive on it and park on it?

• Pinebaron
    9 years ago

Diamond Grid_Loc or Diamondtrax Garage Flooring are good sources for garage flooring tiles; I'll be using Diamondtrax on a grooved concrete surface (for drainage).

• gabbythecat
    9 years ago

We havent driven on the tile. Its in our shop area. But apparently people do drive on it without a problem. Its really good stuff.

• NoraOB
    9 years ago

Mounted shelves are the best choice for garages. Not only because of the flooring type, using mounted shelves will also save a lot of floor space. Also for storing tools you can use small racks. Have you called any professionals for the purpose. Because they will be able to give the correct suggestion on what kind of garage tool cabinet to use. I had called people from Garage Living in Toronto for organizing the garage. The did the shelving and also the garage floors.

• Tom Haag
    9 years ago

Best and easiest shelving system that I have seen.

http://quickshelf.com/

• pps7
    9 years ago

Just wanted to follow-up that we purchased an ELFA unit during the sale. The garage is nice and neat and organized. Hopefully it will last!