Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baseballmom94_gw

List of Comprehensive Questions to Ask Builder Regarding New Home

baseballmom94
9 years ago

We'll be meeting with a builder next week to discuss possibly building a new custom home on a wooded lot in a maintenance free community. The home will be 3700 square feet with a daylight walkout lower level. We have built two previous houses including our current home which is a Toll Brothers home. The home we'll be building will be less square footage than our current home but with higher end materials (we hope). We would like to make sure that we cover all the important construction items and material specifications in our initial meeting. We want to ensure that we're getting decent windows, hvac system, etc. and not simply builder grade materials.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of questions we should ask in our initial meeting regarding the building process and material specifications? Additionally, we're seeking advice on how to negotiate upgrades on flooring, tile, an extra room, etc.

Comments (8)

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

Make sure you get a copy of the speck sheet.
    As in a list of items he will install.
    You should have old ones from you previous build.
    Jo
    May have more later

• western_pa_luann
    9 years ago

Since you already built two houses, and this will be your third, you should have that information, no?

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Your architect should have a specifications sheet that you give to the builder in advance of any meeting. No questions needed about anything then.

• baseballmom94
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, we have built two previous homes but with the first one, we were first-time homeowners and had no idea what questions to ask and only lived there one year so we have no idea how things aged over time in that house. Our current house which we've been in for 11 years was built by a national production home builder so there weren't many choices in materials used. We replaced an HVAC unit already and we don't feel the home is energy efficient or well-insulated. We are not using an independent architect. We will ask for a spec sheet but I was just wondering if anyone had a list of pertinent questions or important construction related materials/techniques that we should be sure to request. Neither my husband and I are experts on the construction industry so any helpful advice at all is much appreciated!

• baseballmom94
    Original Author
    9 years ago

edited to remove duplicate message posted twice

This post was edited by baseballmom94 on Thu, Jan 29, 15 at 20:24

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

There is no way to really compare building methodologies, or the quotes that you will get when you let the builders choose whatever they want to build or bid on. The only way to even begin a meanigful conversation with a builder is for you to do enough research to develop a standard document spec sheet yourself that the builders bid on. The person tbat usually does that is the architect, but if you won't use one, you'll have to do that work yourself. If you don't approach the build with you in charge of what you want, then it's ceding control of the choices to the builder. That's the fox guarding the henhouse.

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

What kind of walls for the basement? Poured concrete or mfg panels.
    Superior Walls is one for mfg panels. Poured concrete? I don't know enough
    To advise you but I understand the state of Al has a requirement for the
    Concrete. Maybe the density?
    You can choose your windows, doors, flooring, paint, of course light fixtures,
    Bath fixtures. He should give you an allowance for some of these also for
    Window coverings if you wish.
    Brick or siding you choose. Paint you choose color and quality. He may buy
    From the back room if you let him. 2by 4 studs or 2 by 6?for walls.
    Front door? Do you want to choose? Do you need one bath to be accessible
    Easier and less costly to have a wide bath door put in now..
    I'm rambling?
    Start at the front door of your plans and walk through the house and see what you like and what you would change.
    Jo

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Once again hollysprings and lwo hit it perfect!!