Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelly_k_gw

Searching for a floor plan and striking out...

shelly_k
9 years ago

Hi All! I've been here before about 5 years prior... my husband and I built a home and now we are possibly embarking on building a second home. I've been searching and searching all the online plan sites and just can't seem to find one that is working. Perhaps I am being too picky! I realize that any plan I find online will need to be modified, but I was hoping to find one that was close. I'm hoping someone here will be able to steer me toward some possibilities. :)

Requirements for Main Floor:
*One story with walkout basement.
* max 2500 sq feet on the main floor
*3 bedrooms on the main floor. One will be master, one guest, and one office. Would like the office to be able to be a bedroom as well, so close proximity to a bathroom and includes a closet.
*Split bedrooms. Would like the master and office on one side and the guest on the other side of the house.
*Good sized mudroom with walk in coat closet and bench/hanging area.
*Laundry on the side of the master, preferably connected to the master closet.
*Prefer the kitchen on an exterior wall with windows (would love to have an island without a sink!)
*Dining Area off the kitchen -- do not need a formal dining room, although I don't care if this dining area is in the front of the house or the back. I just don't want two dining areas (formal and nook).

Thank you in advance for anyone that can steer me toward a few plans! :)

Comments (8)

• renovator8
    9 years ago

You have a big head start on us. Describe the site, kind of neighborhood, climate, ages of inhabitants, if you have guests overnight or entertain and any special activities and hobbies that require space.

• Katie S.
    9 years ago

It will be hard to find split bedrooms in a one story and a kitchen with windows. The bedrooms will flank two sides, so some living spaces are going to be cut off from the outside.

If you were willing to give up the split bedroom requirement, or put your guest room in a bonus space or second story, it would probably make your search easier.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

I am also thinking the split bedrooms will be hard to find, especially where the master and one other bedroom are located near each other. Most times with a split bedroom arrangement the master bedroom is split off from the other bedrooms. Also, I think split bedroom arrangements are more common in four bedroom houses.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    9 years ago

Also, most of the "split bedrooms" plans I've seen put the master on one side of the house and the secondary bedrooms on the other. If you think about it, this makes sense because the master is the largest of the bedrooms and, along with it's closet and the usually larger master bath, the "master suite" takes up as much or more room than two or three secondary bedrooms plus a secondary bath.

Trying to put the master suite plus a secondary bedroom plus the laundry room on one side of the house while having only a single secondary bedroom on the other side and with the living areas pretty much in the middle would be rather out of balance.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Some of your requirements are the same or similar to ours and what I find to be the sticking point over and over is the kitchen with windows. You didn't mention if you prefer a kitchen facing out the front or the back (or if it matters). Also, is there to be a porch, screened or otherwise included off the main living area? If not, I think you'll have a much easier time getting windows in a kitchen.

• Katie S.
    9 years ago

Look at the main floor of Kousa Creek by John Tee... The elevation is not my taste, but the main floor layout might give you some ideas. You would need to find a spot for the third bedroom, and maybe move the laundry. IT has a nice single eating area, windows over the sink, and a master wing with study and full guest bath nearby,

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, cas81611... The Kousa Creek looks pretty good. I agree... don't like the front elevation but the main floor is pretty good. Rooms sizes are already pretty generous so I could possibly cut down some there to add a guest bedroom.

To answer some of the other questions, we have 3 kids who are now 9, 8, 2. The build would not happen for 2-3 more years. We would be moving down the street. Climate is South Dakota. We do entertain quite a bit, usually groups of 10-20 including kids.

Our current home is a 5 bedroom walkout ranch that we built 5 years ago. We love it, but of course, there are some changes we would make now that we have a third tail-ender child that was not in the original plan. :) DH would like a bit smaller in square footage. Current is 3000 on main. The new lot is .5 acre (current lot is .63 acre).

I know I will not get everything on my wish list. :)

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

You said you want a 1 story plan. 3 bedrooms - to be used as a master, guest room and office. But now you say you have 3 your kids. So where will the kids sleep?