Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tagi1

Contractor Asking for Overages after Signing Contractor Affidavit

Tagi1
10 years ago

We recently finished building our home and closed on it on October 30. We have paid the builder the entire contract amount and he signed the Contractor's Affidavit attesting to this fact. We knew that we had a few overages (tile and hardwood flooring) to which we agree. We told the contractor that we were withholding the overage check until he completed everything on the punch list. We had heard from others that he was notorious for never returning once he got the last check and would not finish the punch list.

Today, January 21, he has finally completed the punch list. I agree that I need to pay him his overage check (we believe it is less than $5,000 according to our calculations). My problem is that he is now claiming that I owe him for things that he talked me into changing during the building process "for no charge". We repeatedly asked when he proposed these changes if there would be any additional cost and he assured us over and over that there would not be. I reminded him that if there were to be cost changes, we needed a change order stating the changes, cost involved, and that both parties needed to sign it (as stipulated in our contract). He never produced any change orders because he as he said "it isn't going to cost anything".

These were changes that we would never have agreed to if we had been told there was a cost change. We had a very specific budget and were determined to stick to it. I have reminded him since he presented me with the list of overages, that he never gave me a change order and that we never agreed to a price change. I do not feel that we should be held responsible for this since he was not honest with us upfront.

The other side of the story is that we have learned this week that he has not paid all of our bills for our house. He evidently started our house in the hole and used our first payments to pay off debts from the last house he was working on. Now, he has been paid the entire contract amount but does not have enough to pay off the debts on our house and thus, has come up with this list of "overages" that he wants to be paid for. Suppliers have tried to place liens on our house but can not because he has already signed the contractor affidavit.

I will pay him for the items that I agree that I went over on (allowances) but am I protected against paying these other costs that he is now claiming since he signed the contractor affidavit stating that he has been paid in full? Our contract was for a fixed price. Thanks for any advice.

Comments (13)

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

It sounds like he needed to make more money than he previously thought. That sounds like a personal problem but depending on lein waivers and such you should follow Virgil's advice on the real estate attorney.

• User
    10 years ago

Cease communication with him. Have your lawyer send him a pound sand letter.

• Tagi1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are in Georgia. Our contract with him stated that if there were any changes, he had to provide us with a change order that stated changes to be made, costs associated and had to be signed by both the contractor and us as the owners. We have no change orders for these changes that he is now trying to charge us for. Our contractor affidavit states that he has been paid in full the agreed upon contract amount (which he has) and that there are no liens or outstanding debts owed to subs/suppliers/laborers/etc.

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

Yup, what Holly then. Although, if you didn't do the lien waivers, can't the subs still lien your house? I guess this is something the attorney will answer. Good luck.

• dadereni
    10 years ago

Too late in this case, but for everyone else: changes that are "no cost" must be in writing, too, with "no cost" written in the document.

Ditto to prior post mentioning lien release. Must before final payment.

Good luck.

• Tagi1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

According to three different lawyers that I have spoken with, we can not be held responsible for any more payments to subs since GC signed the Contractor's Affidavit. They have to go after him at this point. One supplier has told me that they are contacting their attorney and the District Attorney and are going to have criminal charges filed against him. The contractor swore under oath that he did not owe any one else money so he broke the law by signing that affidavit. It is out of my hands in regards to what the subs/suppliers/laborers do at this point. I am just trying to make sure that I will not have to pay for these "extra" overages that we never agreed to.

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

don't pay him a dime for now.

review your state specific rules:

http://consumer.georgia.gov/consumer-topics/liens-against-your-home

this is also helpful in your circumstance:

http://consumer.georgia.gov/consumer-topics/building-contractors

in my state when I had such issues, I was able to call the office that handled construction licenses, and got a very helpful person who told me step by step what to do. As soon as I mentioned that I had gotten in touch with the state, a number of things got paid and I got my waivers from some of my "problem children."

none of them want to know that you have been in touch with the state because a formal complaint goes on their license for at least a few years. a complaint will make it difficult for them to work because the subs will stay away.

• Tagi1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, it is now four and a half months after we closed on the house and the contractor just informed my husband today that he is going to sue us. My husband told him to go ahead and try. We met with our lawyer this past week after the contractor started calling again (he needs more money since he didn't pay all the suppliers and they are now placing liens against him and are going after him criminally).

The lawyer reviewed our contract and says that since the contractor signed the Contractor Affidavit (stating that he has been paid in full and has no rights to any more payments, liens, materials, etc). AND because he never produced change orders for the changes in question, we should be off the hook. Of course, we will see what his lawyer says about all of this.

We are prepared to countersue if necessary. We have had cracks in walls that keep re-appearing after the contractor has come back to fix them multiple times. Hired a structural engineer this week and he showed me that the foundation was not done correctly. Basically, we are going to have to jack up a portion of the foundation and install more beams. Additionally, discovered that he did not do the soil compaction to the specs in the contract nor the envelope of the house. We have discovered multiple breaches of contract (did not use spec'd materials but instead used cheaper materials and charged higher price, etc).

This is turning into a nightmare. Have you ever heard of a contractor winning a court case over overages for which there was NO change orders and that were not brought to the owner's attention until AFTER the closing?

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Talk with your attorney, and if you have basis, countersue now!

Good luck with your project!

• Awnmyown
    10 years ago

I just want to say, that with my own experiences lately, and those I've talked to, and reading about all the troubles on GW, I'm so not surprised by this anymore. We live in a sad, sad world, where people can do a sub-par job and then think they can scare you with a law suit into paying them for a job they never did right. People make me sad.

Best of luck in this. Sorry that your new house, which should be exciting, is being ruined by this jerk.

• Naf_Naf
    10 years ago

Did you pay him the 5000+/- overage check?

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

This needs to stay with your lawyer now.
    We can't be of any better help for you than you lawyer will be.
    But, I encourage you to countersue. (I a not sue-happy, either). You will be paying for this build multiple ways without paying him another dime. If you counter sue, it could make him reconsider just walking away.

You are lucky, if it is true in your state, the subs can't put a lien on your own house. In Washington, where I am, homeowners can have a lien on their homes placed by subcontractors and suppliers of materials if they are not paid. To protect ourselves in this state, it is recommended you collect release of liens as the process/build goes on. This is nearly impossible (since most bills aren't due immediately to the contractor by the material supplier); AND most people in WA don't even know they are supposed to do this.

The fact that your house hopefully remains lien free from subs by law, is a nice protection that you get to enjoy.

I'm sorry this is going on. I hope you've talked to your lawyer and gotten the all clear to yelp away on this contractor to protect others. (but, first ask your lawyer)

Good luck.