Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjaero19473

Exterior Shutters

rjaero19473
14 years ago

My wife and I are building a house in Huntsville Alabama and need recommendations for what type of shutters we should buy for the exterior of the house. We need 11 pairs of shutters, with most of the shutters being 62" in length. The front of the house faces west, so the shutters will only see exposure during the latter part of the day. We are concerned with having a nice architectural look on the front of the house, and plan to use either Marvin or Pella Architectural windows on the front of the house only. I don't want to spend a lot on nice windows and put up cheap looking shutters, but we also don't want to break the bank with the shutters either. We plan to mount the shutters with hardware so they look operable, but whether or not they actuate operate isn't a priority. Ideally I would like a product that is resistant to rot, insect damage, holds paint well, and lasts a long time. Wood shutter are nice, but I'm concerned with rot and insect damage. I'm thinking the best product would be a composite material made of plastic or foam. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. If you know of any manufacturers or dealers I could talk to, I would also appreciate that info too. Thanks.

Bob

Comments (14)

• buckheadhillbilly
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting this, Bob. We are doing shutters, also, so I'll look forward to the responses.

The only shutter wisdom that I can pass on is that for goood design the shutters should be of the correct size to cover the windows if you actually closed them. If you have a window that couldn't be covered (e.g. a triple), then you don't put shutters on it. Others may disagree with this, but since I learned this, I figured out why so many houses with shutters look "off."

• tooskinneejs
    14 years ago

I agree with buckheadhillbilly that shutter width should be half of window opening width. But I'd go one step further and say that adding shutters that you won't ever use to protect your window is (in my worthless opinion) an architectural error and one that is best avoided. I think houses look great without shutters and I generally shudder when I see faux shutters.

• bjandtom
    14 years ago

I couldn't put my finger on why modern shutters look awful...they are flat, wrong size, wrong color, and wrong style. So I observed and researched, this is the best article that I ran across. Although we are going with vinyl shutters (maintenance and budget) I made the GC add larger trim around the windows to get a 3d appearance, ordered larger shutters that would cover the windows when shut, the second floor shutters will be louvered with louvers upward and the first floor shutters will be lighter colored panel shutters. Hopefully this will do the trick...CG thinks I'm a little off center...lol. You will never see shutters the same after reading this article.

Here is a link that might be useful: All About Shutters

• athensmomof3
    14 years ago

Excellent article BJ and Tom. I knew I hated the shutters on my builders spec house and thought I knew most of why they were wrong but this article did a great job of explaining it and how you could fix it. Tempted to go outside and pry my shutters off and remount them :)

Very helpful while planning our new house!

• worthy
    14 years ago

Buncha architectural snobs, y'all.

Take a gander at these beauties in my neighbourhood.

Slim's in, Jim.

More is always better.

• rjaero19473
    Original Author
    14 years ago

All, thanks so much for the comments. I appreciate your input!

Bob

• bjandtom
    14 years ago

worthy, too funny, all those other details...then those awful shutters!
    BJ

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Those are horrid, Worthy.

Bob, forgot to say I am just south of Bham, so we have the same weather. Good luck with your build.

• mythreesonsnc
    14 years ago

Great article! This is so true. I have 2 books that I have really enjoyed related to these "do's" and "don'ts."
    The first one is called, "Traditional Construction Patterns." The second one is, "Get Your House Right: Architectural Elements to Use and Avoid." Both are excellent.

• cs6000
    14 years ago

My question is about materials. Have been wrestling with this for weeks. I just don't like vinyl, worry about the durability of wood, and marvel at the price of composite.
    Once you add the hardware, and look at doing lots of windows, it really eats at you.
    Right now, I'm leaning toward wood. They're more than I want to pay, but feel the house needs the shutters.

• rjaero19473
    Original Author
    14 years ago

cs6000, I feel the same about the vinyl, wood, and composite. We are looking mostly at composite because they have a nicer look than the vinyl and last longer than wood. Money is tight and we don't want to break the bank on shutters. Does anyone know if there is a way to mount vinyl shutters with real hardware, rather than just screwing them into the side of the house? If we could use vinyl with real hardware, that might give us a better look than just going with vinyl screwed into the side of the house, but at the same time save a ton of money. I am pretty sure we will go with a composite shutter, but it would be nice to have a second option if money becomes more of an issue.

• emilynewhome
    14 years ago

We are in the south and our HOA requires us to have 'operable shutters'. We chose cedar as it's more resistant to bugs etc than pine (cannot afford more Cypress, did that for front door)

We painted the cedar shutters BM Coventry Blue (another HOA requirement - Historical colors).
    Turned out well!

• milele
    13 years ago

Any suggestions on Cider Shutters on line without going broke?