Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allison223_gw

Cost of Coffered Ceiling

allison223
9 years ago

I am having a house built and just got a quote from our builder for a coffered ceiling. The project is 1100 linear feet, the room is 16x20. The construction is a beam with 3-1/4" crown on either side, and there are 4 beams one way, 3 the other. Total cost on the project including painting is $12,800. Does this sound high?

Comments (8)

• faulstr
    9 years ago

I have the same size room but less beams - 2 one way and 3 the other way. And we weren't going to have the builder do the crown molding or any special painting bc my husband was going to do that later himself. Our bid was $3k and even then we decided that my husband will just do it all himself later - every day we pick out something it seems that we're adding a couple thousand so we decided we have to say no to something. And trims will have to be done later by my husband. That is what we did last time we built too but we had thought it could be nice to do some up front this time - oh well!

• xc60
    9 years ago

I think that's high. Here's a thread where GW members talk about the cost of their coffered ceiling...

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Coffered Ceiling Thread

This post was edited by xc60 on Fri, Jan 16, 15 at 15:17

• robin0919
    9 years ago

Where are you in the country?

• millworkman
    9 years ago

A ton more info is needed before anyone can begin to give you even an educated guess. As Robin asked, where in the country, what type of material, what is the state the room if in now, how high is the ceiling? Is the structure there now capable of handling the increased weight? Does it all need to be reframed? And I am sure I am missing many more questions.....

• mom2sulu
    9 years ago

We were quoted 6k for ours--but honestly thought the price would actually jump up to about 8k during construction. Sadly, we abandoned it.

• LOTO
    9 years ago

We didn't go with a coffered ceiling in our recent build but went with a tray ceiling and our truss guy designed the offset in and it cost us $200.00 for that and our trim carpenter charged me $250.00 to install the crown...don't remember how much the crown material cost us but probably less than 200 bucks.
    Unless you are using some type of wood that sounds crazy expensive for our area.

This post was edited by LOTO on Sun, Jan 18, 15 at 20:21

• chiefneil
    9 years ago

My drwall coffers cost a couple grand IIRC. It was surprisingly cheap considering how much my builder charged for other upgrades.

There's no molding however. I always planned to DIY the molding but never got around to it. I priced out large, stacked crown molding and it would probably have run around 1-2k in materials.