Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwhelmed with exterior choices Lots of pics

Posted by mum2gandb (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 12:13

I'm somewhat overwhelmed with exterior paint colors and my husband and I cannot seem to agree on colors at all...he likes dark colors, and I like lighter, tan colors. My current favorite is the Pismo Dunes from Benjamin Moore.

Here is our house. It is a craftsman inspired home. We have decided on Nichiha shakes, siding and board and batten. Love their products, but no options on paint colors.

Our stone color is a WV Fieldstone--sorry this was taken from another house in our area, so the picture is not the best quality:

photo photo-5_zps01d7a1b5.jpg

Our inspiration:

photo 19140367138143439_0iCs1dQ9_c_zps00d9ca87.jpg

Our front door:

photo 19140367138701019_ALGk7hqf_c_zpsa83b4108.jpg

Give me your inspiration! :)

This post was edited by mum2gandb on Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 21:21

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwhelmed with exterior choices Lots of pics

Hi,
I'm new but have a house similar to your 'inspiration'. Hopefully my pic uploads. Our board and batten siding is GEntek vinyl siding colour storm. Check out their website- you may be able to match a paint colour to it. I also have the same door and we painted it black bean soup by benjamin moore :) Good luck!

o

Hi mum,

Just wondering if your inspiration "door" was something you found on Houzz or if you live close to the house it can be seen on (and consequently close to me)?

The builder of the house with that particular door (Patterson Homes) was one of two main contenders for our upcoming build. We went with the other builder but have nothing but good to say about them.

Anyway, here's a link to the builder's website and that particular build.

Here is a link that might be useful: Patterson Homes Parkway Road House

o

Our stone looks similar to yours and we pulled the taupe and the almond out of the stone for our house colors.

o

MGDawg, that's so funny! Actually, I found it on Houzz. And since my house is Craftsman inspired I found a real wood door that is very similar to that. But, that door served as my inspiration.

Thanks for sharing!

Annie, I have been looking at your house colors because I like them very much! I love all the colors you chose. What is your roof color/brand?

o

We used GAF Camelot in Aged Oak

o

Thanks, Annie. (PS) i love your metal roof over the porch. It's lovely! You did a great job with your color selection.

o

Thx.

You will note in your inspiration pic that they have 1 less material in siding than you do...I think you might want to consider that...keep the stone and lose either the bd and bat or the shingle...too many materials is less attractive.

o

That's not true. The inspiration house has 3 materials if you look at all the pics.

Stone, shake and board and batten. Do what looks best to you.

o

Thanks, Annie. (PS) i love your metal roof over the porch. It's lovely! You did a great job with your color selection.

o

Beauty is in the "eye of the beholder" about what is attractive and what is not. The advice here is a mix of personal opinions, so do your exterior the way you envisioned it.

I like Pismo dunes, but I think your inspiration home may be a bit darker. I don't have my Ben Moore paint deck in front of me, but I'm thinking something like Fairview Taupe is similar to your inspiration photo.

This post was edited by downsy on Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 8:09

o

I don't see shakes in the inspiration photo...only b&b...and if those lovely peaks were interrupted with a section of shakes, IMO, it would not look as nice. We are talking about the house with the green siding, not the other one....

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 9:59

o

This is our inspiration house and there are Board and Batten, shakes and stone. We plan on using all three on our new home. I think this house "Willow Hill" on Houzz is amazing and we love that they used all three materials on their home as it gives it a unique and beautiful look. It has served as our inspiration for over a year and I'm not budging. But, thanks for your opinion.

Downsy, thank you for that--I'll go do some research. I've reached out to the architect and he said he would dig the color up for me. Fingers crossed.

Inspiration photo 19140367138143439_0iCs1dQ9_c_zps00d9ca87.jpg

o

The shakes are on the first floor as you can see better in this picture:

o

This house is our inspiration as well. Our builder knows this builder and was getting the exact color for us. When I have it, I'll post.

o

Has anyone seen the floor plan for the inspiration house?

This post was edited by shouldibuild on Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 12:23

o

Katrina, THANK YOU! I will look for your post or you can email me directly. I have also reached out to the architect who said he would dig it up for me.

ShouldIbuild, the architect will not share floorplans for the house, unless you pay.

o

mum2gandb...can you please tell me the company that supplies that stone you chose? my husband really loves it. is it natural or manmade?

o

oh..btw...the inspiration house is hardie board.

o

Carp123, we are getting it from a local stone yard; it's West Virginia fieldstone. I don't live in WV, incidentally...

Yes, I know it's Hardie, but we are going with Nichiha.

o

thank you! we are in canada and will probably buy from the states...selection here stinks!

o

Hey Carp... do you happen to live in Carp?

o

I'm still waiting to hear from our builder on the specific color...he only had the comparable pantone color. It is a gray with slight green undertones. I did happen to see on Houzz that the color is a Benjamin Moore color and a Benjamin Moore rep commented that it looked like BM Amherst Gray.

If you're looking for the stone on the house, our builder talked to Sven at Stonewood and it is comparable to Buechel Stone's Antique Copper.

o

Yes, Annie mentioned that in the Paint forum. Funny how similar my WV Fieldstone is to that stone.

Thanks for your help!

o

Has anyone identified the exterior color of the house from
Houzz above?

o

Nothing from the architect, but the other suggestions seem to look the same. Sorry!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here