Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
broston2

Lighting help

broston2
9 years ago

I posted this on the lighting forum, but it's slower there..

This is our next step and I don't want to mess it up! I walked through with the builder once but we didn't get to all of it. The red dots are recessed lights that he's already done. The green are the pendants that I plan on having. The blue dots are what I'm planning on adding (recessed). I don't know what to do with the living room/dining/kitchen. I don't know what would be best (and I don't trust my builder). I don't want to get it wrong. Any advice would be great! Any questions on the rooms I will answer!
Editing: All ceilings are 9 ft. except for 10 ft. tray in living room

Comments (5)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

When you have a central light already in the fan, then the cans should act as accents. Typically I do lights about 18" out from where the drapes hang, I'd want a spot light over the fireplace to highlight anything on the mantle (if that's a fireplace in the corner...) and maybe one on the bit of wall where the PR is if you plan on putting artwork there.

If you have a tray, you may consider doing indirect lighting in a cove with the right trim work.

{{gwi:2133190}}

[Contemporary Family Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-family-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_720~s_2103) by Chicago Interior Designers & Decorators Michael Abrams Limited

The other thing to look at is where the furniture will go so you can well place some floor outlets, as you will want to be able to put lamp light somewhere in the room.

I'm presuming these are all 4" cans...

In the dining area, I would center one can in front of each window, about 18" out. I'd probably keep the other 2 in each corner, but instead of 2 cans in the middle, I'd figure out where the table will end up and have a chandy over the table instead.

In the kitchen, I don't like the placement at all. You will just get light on your head and you'll be casting shadows on your work. If you want a few for general lighting then just put them over the walkways...you won't need many, maybe one on the narrow side and 2 on the long side...just for light when you walk in. Most likely you'll get lots of light from the island lighting. Instead, get under cabinet lighting which will light the counters so you can see what you're doing. I consider under cabinet lighting and absolute necessity.

I would also do a single pendant light over the sink. 2 recessed cans is overkill.

The cans to the bedroom hall ... be sure they line up.

In the top bedroom, is that a window seat in the nook? If so, you may consider a pendant instead of a can depending on how fancy you want to get.

• gabbythecat
    9 years ago

What is that small room with a pocket door between the bedrooms? A closet of some sort?

• renovator8
    9 years ago

It would help to know the nature of the recessed lights fixtures you have chosen. It helps to keep them small and deeply recessed which means placing them closer together. Wall washer or adjustable recessed lights are also effective. LED spots are good if the color temperature is warm (3000 K or less).

Light the work surfaces first, then the walls, then consider where floor areas and passages might need light but consider switching them separately from the work/accent lights. I would not put a light fixture on the bottom of a ceiling fan. Keep recessed fixtures far enough away from a ceiling fan to avoid moving shadows.

• broston2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. The fan in the living room will not have a light in it, just a fan. The room with the pocket door is an office. I don't want pendants/chand in the dining room/window seat due to blocking views out of the windows. I don't want anything hanging down. I really need to ask what type of lighting my builder is using, it would be very helpful. Thanks everyone.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

Builders often use 5" or even 6" Halo recessed fixtures with R30 or R40 lamps that are inefficient and protrude from the fixture but are cheap. I recommend using Lightolier or Juno 3 3/4" or 4" fixtures with PAR20 halogen, low-voltage MR16 or 3,000 K LED lamps. The ones near walls should have internal reflectors or be adjustable to light the walls. Pin spots can be very effective over dining tables and work islands especially the new 1" LED types in order to avoid pendants and chandeliers that obstruct your view. (tall people unite!)