Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheriepres_gw

Frank Betz Summerlake build

cheriepres
15 years ago

I just wanted to share with you our build of the Frank Betz Summerlake plan. We have made several changes such as widening the entire middle of the house by 2 feet, adding 8 feet to laundry room and trying to add a wall and more cabinets in kitchen without closing it in too much (kitchen still planning in progress).

This is our first time to build and we have learned so much from this forum. I would love any advice and suggestions along the way.

The lumber was delivered yesterday but it looks like rain for a week.

Comments (20)

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

Very nice! What part of GA are you building in? I'd recognize that red clay anywhere. LOL It looks like you're NW of us. We're about 10 miles outside of Augusta.

• cheriepres
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We are building in Cartersville Georgia.
    Rain, Rain go away, I can't stand this Georgia clay.
    It didn't rain today at the property so the framers were able to get the basement framed and the flooring system complete for the first floor. That really went fast.
    I love your house. I've seen it on the other threads. Thanks for the lighting and plumbing schedules. They have really helped.

• thepond2007
    15 years ago

Thrilled to see your photos!!!

• cheriepres
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks pond. I finally figured out how to load the pictures. Here are todays.
    Does anyone know how we will get all of the red mud from the basement and wood? It is such a mess. Am I going to have dirt on my walls or should we pressure wash everything once the roof is on?

• cheriepres
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well we are almost finished with framing. I would love some advice on a few changes we made.
    1. We are planning on our kitchen being open (inspired by mightyanvil kitchen). We are having a raised bar with arch facing great room. This way we will have added cabinets without closing it in.
    Question is should we go with a peninsula facing breakfast area (like picture) or an island and no peninsula? We added 2 feet to width of kitchen 14 x 12"6, but not sure if that is wide enough for island and would island get in the way of cooking triangle?
    2. We enlarged the laundry room to come all the way flush with the house.
    Question is should we put a shorter window in laundry room so that I can place a folding table there or leave it long so it goes with all the other windows on the front of the house?
    3. Should we keep the windows in the master closet or use them for more shelving? Is it better to have natural light?
    4. Plan called for vaulted covered porch and framers made it flat because we are closing in the top (plan called for open beams and we are screening it in) Should we keep it vaulted since great room is vaulted?

• thepond2007
    15 years ago

Cherie-Exciting progress! Can't wait for DH to see them. Brings a tear to my eye.

1. Peninsula vs. Island: My 2 cents (and in this economy....) I'm not an expert, but I have seen many kitchens your size have an island. But I don't know if you want one in your traffic flow/triangle. My layout is different, having a peninsula, because I hated winding around island to get from fridge to sink in our last house. Also, ask on the kitchen thread.
    2. Laundry room window is not under porch with the front door and dining room windows; and not in the jut out of the garage, so I can see a smaller window there, I like an oval window. Plus, counter space and cabinets are nice there.
    3. Windows in closet? I'm waiting to see what you decide, lol.
    4. Vaulted porch: personally, I wonder if vaulted and opening the end would allow more light in your family room windows. For me, that is crucial, we live in a dark area.

Just my thoughts

• cheriepres
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the advice. We did end up vaulting the covered porch.
    Roofing starts tomorrow.

• gcouey
    15 years ago

I stumbled across your build and am looking at some Betz's home plans, I too live in Cartersville and am looking for a good home builder, do you have any suggestions and also did you go look at any available Betz's plans and if so were could I see some examples? Thank you in advance.

• cheriepres
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We are contracting it out ourselves with the help from a friend who has built a couple of homes himself.
    We found the Frank Betz plan that we are building in the Cumberland Estates subdivision in Emerson. It is still for sale. There are also several Frank Betz homes for sale in River Shoals subdivision.
    I suggest if you find one you decide to build, take lots of photos of everything from faucets, light fixtures, landscaping, cabinets and colors. We have used these pictures so much during our build even for just the smallest things like what type of lighting fixture in the foyer.
    There are many good builders in Cartersville. We talked to one at Rock Solid Builders in Emerson and he was very nice. We are just trying to save money by doing it ourselves. Hopefully it will be true in the end.
    Good luck.

• suero
    15 years ago

About taking pictures:

They give you x-ray vision. We took pictures of everything -- with a tape measure so that we would have documented just where everything was after the drywall was installed. It proved to be such a help later on, like when the HVAC guys went to install the thermostat, that our contractor now takes pictures during the build and gives the homeowner a CD of the pictures at the end of the build.

• sturdy
    15 years ago

We are almost finished with the Frank Betz Westmoreland (we are the GC as well). We have one closet with a window. The only reason we kept it was because the exterior of the house would look odd without it. Windows are expensive and take up space in a closet that could be put to a better use. So I would say nix the window if it doesn't mess with the exterior.

• cheriepres
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sturdy-we ended up with the windows in closet. We felt like we were walking in a cave. I like the natural light and I am going to put a bench under the windows for putting shoes on.
    Here ae the latest pictures. I originally didn't want full grids on the window but that is what ended up being put in and I think I like it. Any opinions on grids.
    I also changed the location of the cooktop and ovens. Thanks for the advice. I think it will flow much better.

• cheriepres
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Things are moving right along. Brick should be finished today, fireplace going in and insulation and sheetrock begin on Monday.

• mclendon2009
    15 years ago

Would you mind sharing with us what you estimate the cost to build the home to be..excluding the land?

We were thinking of this plan for over a year but ultimately are pricing out a version of the greywell plan.

• cheriepres
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mclendon2009 - We added square feet to our plan by widening the entire middle of the house by 2 feet. We had the bonus room and additional closets finished as well as a home audio, security system and screened porch added also an unfinished basement. I think we end up with 3500 square feet finished.
    Right now our budget is showing to come in around $250,000.00 but it's not over so we will be happy to come in below $290,000.00.
    It is a great floor plan with a ton of closet and storage space. We are very excited. Sheetrock started yesterday.
    The greywell is a very beautiful home also.

• mclendon2009
    15 years ago

That sounds really good for all that and unfinished basement. Our house if all finished upstairs..bonus room and media room..would be around 4000sqft..but i think we are going to leave those 2 rooms unfinished upstairs which takes it down to around 3200sqft. We doing a crawl space instead of basement due to our lot..we are wondering if trying to come in around $220,000. is unrealistic..we will only have a deck on the back for now. We will be laying down the hardwood and tile floors. Doing the Plumbing, HVAC, and Electrical with our family and friends businesses...so hopefully that will cut back costs..what do you think?

• cheriepres
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would think that would be reasonable. We got several bids from subcontractors and have priced things out according to our bank loan breakdown. Electrical was higher than we wanted but framing, roof, sheetrock and painting have been alot lower. I have purchased my plumbing fixtures from ebay and costco as well as some lighting fixtures.
    Are you contracting it out yourselves? I think that is the biggest savings of all if you have the time required to put in it.
    What plan are you building and where?

• mclendon2009
    15 years ago

What floor plan is definitely a loaded question..I like the exterior fron of the Greywell by Frank Betz, I like the overall layout of the Glenview by Frank Betz..so I have a architect who is drawing us a plan from scratch...I will post layout..once I get it uploaded...by really similar to the Glenview..just larger in size with a 3 bay garage.

My husband owns a Plumbing business here in Alamance County NC and we will definitely be contracting this house ourselves to save time and money. Also will be calling in favors from all friends from all trades. I really want Brick and stone on the main portion of the house and a shake vinyl siding on some portions of the house. We are just now starting to price things out..my biggest thing and hurdle right now is windows..what is too much..what is a decent brand without killing the budget..those few windows with Transoms are killing me..I have found alot of lighting on Lowes and Homedepot I am looking to buy..does Costo sell Lighting>

• KimandMarty
    13 years ago

Cheriepres, We found this old post about your summerlake built. We are considering this plan, and really like the changes you made. We were wondering if by any chance you have additional photos showing the finished product, and looking back if you would make any additional changes or have any advice to share. Thanks so much :)

• glockfan
    9 years ago

Cheriepres,

We live nearby and considering this house plan.
    I would love to contact you to discuss.
    Thanks