Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redshoetraveler

Window in MBR Closet?

redshoetraveler
13 years ago

We are still in planning stages, but there is a small octagonal window in the closet with a built-in bench on the plan. Trying to decide if I should leave it or take it out. I love the idea of natural light, but have heard complaints of fading clothes.

Window is north-facing. The closet is large (13 1/2 by 10 1/2) and we were thinking of actually using a portion of it to put a small piece of exercise equipment w/ a wall-mounted TV in there since we don't need that much space for clothes. So it would be nice to have the light in those times.

Any opinions? If we put a window covering over it would that be sufficient?

Comments (11)

• ennistbp
    13 years ago

Sounds lovely. Leave it in, especially if you will be doing some "living" in your closet. North facing windows do not fade clothes.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"North facing windows do not fade clothes."

There is still UV present in the light from North facing windows.

While it may be lower than South facing, it is not zero.

• popeda
    13 years ago

Our home has a double window in the MBR closet, with a drawer unit below that makes a type of bench. We keep our grandson, and that bench has been our changing table. The windows are covered with faux wood shutters allowing us both privacy and light when we need it. I can't see any fading of our clothes, but then we are the faded jeans kind of folks. We had this same arrangement in our last home and copied it for the plan of this one. That deep, wide drawer unit is where we keep shorts and the sort of t-shirt that doesn't need hung on a hanger.

• worthy
    13 years ago

Keep the clothes or the window covered.

On the other hand, I have pics of recent multi-million dollar homes where the trend seems to be skylights. Maybe the thinking is if you have to worry about replacing ruined clothes you're just not rich enough to own such a house.

Skylight floods closet with "natural light". My, what an exciting suit collection: Every colour in the rainbow as long as it's beige! Source: Prince Bay Homes

• Sidney4
    13 years ago

We have a window in our closet. I use wood blinds and am pretty happy with the arrangement. In our case the exterior would have looked odd had we not put a window in our closet.

• phisch
    13 years ago

I would leave the window for the natural lighting it will provide. Plus the light from the window will realy open up the space. If you are using low-E windows, there shouldn't be an issue with your clothes fading.

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

i have windows in my closet. i'm planning a seating area directly beneath with a sofa and end tables. it's hard to photograph the whole room because of the shape. it's 26' long (all shelves and hanging space) and kind of narrow, but it opens up at the windows to 12' wide.

{{gwi:1400354}}

• sis3
    13 years ago

I have an east facing but shaded window in my closet, with plantation shutters. You can't beat natural light when you are trying to select clothes and I love to open the window to freshen the entire room whenever I can. I have seen no evidence of fading after 4 years.

• macv
    13 years ago

I would leave it in. By the time anything fades from light, it should have been discarded. I confess I still have suits from the 70's but I can't wear them.

• sue36
    13 years ago

I am surprised people haven't seen fading. One of DH's silk ties faded horribly in an east facing room. The room isn't in use, it is used for storage right now. I went in there looking for a tie for a funeral and he had left it out and folded over. You can clearly see where the sun faded it. Maybe dark silk fades easily?

• jimandanne_mi
    13 years ago

Yes, silk fades easily. And east facing would get a lot of light.

Anne